Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2018, 00:01   #1
Andy From Sligo

What are the perfect conditions for a thunderstorm?

We have all had a pretty good summer on the whole up to now in Ireland I think we can agree ... but when was the last time we had a good thunderstorm with lightning and a thunderstorm that lasts for at least 5 minutes ... not just one or 2 rumbles of thunder and then finished?

The weather has been humid , there has been plenty of sun the heat has been there - but I think I recall just one or 2 rumbles of thunder in june I think it was, even then i didnt see any lightning I dont think.

Why are we not getting thunderstorms with this hot humid weather like other countries do in this kind of weather? and what are the perfect conditions for a thunderstorm and does anyone know if there is anything on the radar for a pretty decent lightning storm in the near future?
Advertisement
23-07-2018, 00:36   #2
pad199207

Last fantastic thunderstorm was May 27th

I
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2018, 00:40   #3
Andy From Sligo

we didnt get it in Sligo as far as I can recall...
23-07-2018, 01:25   #4
Donegal Storm

Yep I was in Donegal that weekend annoyingly and didn't see or hear a thing, haven't heard a single rumble of thunder in 14 months now.

The perfect conditions for us generally would be a deep north/south kink in the jet stream drawing hot humid air from Iberia with a wave developing as cold air from the Atlantic digs in behind it in the Bay of Biscay. Very rare that we get that setup, the plume usually heads for Northern France and Benelux or occasionally the UK.

Conveniently tonights GFS has thrown up a perfect example of what to look out for on the models.

Red arrow shows hot air being dragged north with low pressure in the Atlantic pushing in cold air. Th cold air undercuts the plume forcing it to rise violently and leads to spectacular thunderstorms across the country

Sadly it'll likely be gone by the morning..

(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion