Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The demonisation of carbs and other nonsense meat-eating gym-going logic

Options
  • 16-09-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

If you like to keep in shape and build muscle, carbs seem to be public enemy number 1. I really don't get it. What is the obsession of vilifying an entire food group?

Meat-eating iron-pumping logic:

low carb, lion's share of meat, enough cheese to drown a man, spend enough time picking things up and putting them down again so that you can burn off all the calories from your unhealthy diet and fool yourself into thinking that you're now a muscle machine all thanks to your excessive meat and dairy eating............and not all the hours at the gym.

How's about we stop looking for magic solutions, forget all the crazy stuff, realise that meat and calories are not food groups, actually eat healthy and go to the gym.

Today facebook brings to you......

Low-carb pizza baguette

and a recipe for "chicken dough".

I laughed a lot at this 30 rock episode at the time.....

"meat is the new bread"

But it's not even an exaggeration, I cannot believe there are people who follow this logic. Facepalm so hard!

What is it, eat like a lion, think like a lion? Going to such extreme lengths to justify nonsensical illogical behaviour, that's what an addict does.

Stop feeding off of myths and meat and exercise your brain for a second! If you have any doubts just google "vegan body-builder", thankfully more and more people are wising up to the nonsense now.

Do you also know people who engage in this logic and is there any getting through to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah I know a good few lads from the gym really into low carb, never tried to get through to anyone though, always seemed completely mental to me but eat what you want at the end of the day. No way such a diet doesn't increase your risk factors for atrocious long term health consequences but it's not my problem and I hate when people who haven't got a clue preach to me about diet and I'm sure that's exactly what I'd seem like to them so have no interest in trying to get through to anybody. Everyone thinks their own diet is good.

Like, low carb and ketosis diets do of course work for weight loss, so that's why carbohydrates have become so demonised I guess. There's a bit of a backlash from people like John Mcdougall and stuff now because a lot of studies are propping up with the title high fat > low fat, but the diets actually used in the studies aren't truly low fat. They're 30% fat, whereas a real low fat diet is ~10% fat. But, you're not allowed to eat bacon on a 10% fat diet so who cares right?

Denise Minger pointed this out recently at like 20:30 into this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

People really go to extreme lengths to justify a love of bacon though, it's mad! All the effort at the gym and watching their diet, how do you come to look at a meal like that ^ and think this is the thing that's helping me :D I'd love to be able to say "eat what you want" but as a veggie or vegan how can you say that knowing that they're not just doing something that is harmful to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah I know what you mean. I find it hard enough to sit at a dinner table these days with other people while they're eating meat. I've just kind of accepted that that's the world we live in I suppose. I'll raise my own children vegan until they're old enough to make their own choices etc. but I don't know. I'm sort of shuffling my arse on the fence when it comes to convincing other people to become vegan on ethical grounds, on one hand I absolutely don't think it's okay to eat animal products and I think people should make information available, but if people choose to do it anyway I think given the world we live in I'm going to just make it known where I stand on that social norm and let other people do the same. I probably sound quite apathetic, but I hope that if I just work on being fit, healthy, happy and successful maybe people will discover that they like veganism for themselves, which is surely more persuasive than being told it's the best. Maybe I'm too optimistic and sunshine and rainbows? :p

The only time I've really made a suggestion or recommendation about diet to someone was when my sister started getting her dose of teenage acne. My brother and I both suffered atrocious acne in our teens (as did both my parents), I was prescribed countless medications by my GP before eventually being referred onto a dermatologist, my brother still has it to some extent on his back and mildly on his face and maybe I would too had I not turned vegan. My sister started developing the same severe enough dose of it when she was about 12 and I did suggest she cut out all dairy for a couple of months to see what happens and sure enough it cleared up and she seems to have escaped it and to this day avoids dairy (she was vegetarian anyway, so just eggs now). I wish somebody had said like give it a try to me when I was that age, saved countless doctor's visits and for one of the drugs I had to go get blood tests every 2 weeks or something because the tablet was essentially a massive dose of vitamin A and it could affect liver function, would rather have not taken that! Also had crippling back pain whilst I was on that one and still have a couple of small scars from the acne. Anway tl;dr it worked for my sister :p

Advertisement