Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be considering animals in your vote tomorrow Friday 23rd?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

ICABS (the irish council against blood sports) has done out a list of candidate views here. Maybe some people will find it useful before the vote tomorrow. Do you take animals into consideration with your political views?

I'm not in Ireland at the moment to vote, but I recently found out about a political party here in the Netherlands called PvDD, Partij voor de Dieren, or Party for the Animals.

We are a Dutch political party whose highest priority is animal welfare and the respectful treatment of animals. In the Netherlands, we are represented in the House of Representatives, the Senate, the Provincial States, in six city councils and in six Dutch ‘water councils’. That is unique: never before has a political party devoted to animal welfare been elected to a national parliament anywhere else in the world.

You can read about them here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Interesting how these sound bites are considered to be proof of the candidates stance on animal welfare as a whole, whereas paying closer attention to the candidates and their statements over a period of time would give a better picture. For example Luke Ming Flanagan calls for an end to fur farming, however in a recent radio interview bemoaned the fact that construction work on a hotel had to be curtailed for certain times in order not to disrupt birds nesting. Likewise in today's local paper Matt Carthy happily posing beside a calf that is used as the Monaghan GAA mascot (paraded around shopping centres etc) and so on.

I guess they are all politicians and will say whatever the questioners want to hear, but it makes it hard to vote for any of them really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Ye I'm not sure how much I would base a decision on a text message! They did urge people to ask candidates themselves. I really don't know if there's anyone in Irish politics that has strong views on animals? Over here it's quite interesting that they have a party that is based on animal welfare represented in parliament. That may sound like a very forward society, but there are also dutch parties that support paedophilia and bestiality! Those are unfortunately the ones you more often hear about.

Advertisement