Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beekeeping chit chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 def345

Newbie question.
    I got a nuc a four weeks ago.
    I'm not interested in getting honey this year, as I want to build up the strength of the hive for winter.
    But they've expanded to fill up the brood box (national hive with ten frames)
    Is it too late to add a super, or is there no down side (extra space I guess will cool it down)
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

def345 wrote: »
    Newbie question.
    I'm not interested in getting honey this year, as I want to build up the strength of the hive for winter.
    Is it too late to add a super, or is there no down side (extra space I guess will cool it down)
    Thanks

I'd super it for a bit, just in case they honey bound the nuc box. Wouldn't expect honey, just a bit of space for them for a while.

Short while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

...But they've expanded to fill up the brood box (national hive with ten frames)
    Thanks

There is still a month of summer ahead. I would add a super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Newbie question.
    Thanks

Add a super or there's a good chance they'll swarm if they're congested. There's a great saying among beekeepers that applies here: better them looking at it than looking for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife dug up the pampas grass and found a load of bumble bees at the base.

She dug it up and put them out in the veggie garden away from kids and dog.

Just to say, it wasn't ME :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Hello. General question please. My bees, which up to now have been exceptionally docile, went mental when I went in on Tuesday. To be fair, I haven't been in for a few weeks but was able to check super from top and it wasn't full şo wasnt worried about them. I went in on tues to do a mini inspection. They went crazy! They got extremely agitated extremely quickly so much so that I had to abandon it. I saw the queen and there's plenty of brood and eggs. I didn't see any queen cells in the part I managed to inspect. We also have a swarm under the eaves in the house. These girls also seemed to be a little agitated. Any ideas? Is it that I hadn't been in in a few weeks, the weather?
    As an aside, when they did go crazy they stung the hens (approx 10m away) several times on their heads/combs. I think they might be gone blind now. Any cure/ chance they'll survive?
    Thanks in advance.

Jayzus.

If the Queen is still there in guessing they are worked up 0ver the weather, honey flow stopped etc.

They sound like a right shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Mellifera wrote: »
    Hello. General question please. My bees, which up to now have been exceptionally docile, went mental when I went in on Tuesday. To be fair, I haven't been in for a few weeks but was able to check super from top and it wasn't full şo wasnt worried about them. I went in on tues to do a mini inspection. They went crazy! They got extremely agitated extremely quickly so much so that I had to abandon it. I saw the queen and there's plenty of brood and eggs. I didn't see any queen cells in the part I managed to inspect. We also have a swarm under the eaves in the house. These girls also seemed to be a little agitated. Any ideas? Is it that I hadn't been in in a few weeks, the weather?
    As an aside, when they did go crazy they stung the hens (approx 10m away) several times on their heads/combs. I think they might be gone blind now. Any cure/ chance they'll survive?
    Thanks in advance.

With a dearth they'll be much more prone to aggression for the next month until ivy starts. Make sure you've your smoker going well before you go near them and there shouldn't be any need to be at them much at all, only to remove honey and/or check they've enough stores

Wasps are very busy at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭howsshenow

Same as Millefera below, nursing two stings on my hand from "mental" bees on Saturday- one sting through latex glove!
    Just one other observation from me as a newbie.. I have one strong hive and had a full super of capped honey on it and lots of honey in the broodbox also.
    I removed the super of honey two weeks ago and put it in the freezer as I don't have equipment to separate.
    I checked the hive at weekend and I was surprised to find almost all the store of honey in the broodbox gone! I thought this was going to last them the Winter!
    I put on a Feeder that evening.

So my Question is.. Are these guys going to build up stores for the winter or have to continue feeding them or do I give them back the frames of honey from the Super I took off?
    It's a strong hive with laying Queen and lots of brood.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

They might bring in some during the ivy flow. No harm to have feed ready though. My Brood is full of stores but I'll have some feed on standby as winter goes on.

Ivy being worked hard in Cork today.

Had a few nucs that were tearing through stores.

That was in the hot week.

Check your hives folks for stores.

Danzy wrote: »
    Check your hives folks for stores.

I had checked last weekend. All of mine seem to be choke full of honey. If there is an ivy flow coming, there won't be space to put it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

First swarm of the year it's in a box, will tey keep it there, early action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Gorse fire very close to a hive yesterday, the firemen were fantastic and as usual saved the day; and the bees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Gorse fire very close to a hive yesterday, the firemen were fantastic and as usual saved the day; and the bees.

Wow. That was close. Amazing photo!

First swarm of the year it's in a box, will tey keep it there, early action.

My swarm trap has lots of interest but no occupants. Fingers crossed.

What part of the country are you in?

Mad Benny wrote: »
    My swarm trap has lots of interest but no occupants. Fingers crossed.

What part of the country are you in?

That's in Cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I started a beekeeping course in Feb but it got cut short in March. I was really hoping to start this year. I have two new hives and am rearing to go. I've set up a few homemade boxes, swabbed with lemon grass oil in an attempt to lure a swarm. Nothing yet. If all else fails I presume I can buy a pair of nucs in early june. I'm based in South Tipp. Any recommendations re a source for the nucs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

jooksavage wrote: »
    I started a beekeeping course in Feb but it got cut short in March. I was really hoping to start this year. I have two new hives and am rearing to go. I've set up a few homemade boxes, swabbed with lemon grass oil in an attempt to lure a swarm. Nothing yet. If all else fails I presume I can buy a pair of nucs in early june. I'm based in South Tipp. Any recommendations re a source for the nucs?

Contact south Tipperary association, they rear nucs for beginners

South Tipp association is one of the best in the country for training people, probably the best.

South Tipp association is one of the best in the country for training people, probably the best.

I've heard. Before everything happened, I was in the middle of a course with N Tipp association (live in north but farm is south) and it was great. Instructors were fantastic and very approachable. They said however they were anticipating a scarcity of nuc colonies.

I've heard. Before everything happened, I was in the middle of a course with N Tipp association (live in north but farm is south) and it was great. Instructors were fantastic and very approachable. They said however they were anticipating a scarcity of nuc colonies.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Fingal Beekeepers, no 1, fight me! :D

Seriously though, great training there as well. After the course and you have the option (space available) to get your first year in the association apiary. Group inspections every Sunday so you get to see a variety issues across the group.
    They also pair people up with mentors.

And they'll set you up with bees (again assuming they have bees from a member/association apiary).

All of which makes absolute sense for the association. You'd prefer your neighbours were well trained beekeepers provided with bees of known provenance as opposed to poorly trained beekeepers importing bees from good knows where.

Hi thanks for the info so far. I actually bumped into someone from the course and they said they'll prob be able to sort me out next month.

As I said before I've been trying to lure a colony. I have bait boxes up all over the farm and in ditches across the parish with no luck. Yesterday though I noticed a few dozen bees flying around a spare brood box at the back of the house! I had put a bit of lemon grass oil in there a few weeks ago but had kinda forgotten about it. More bees arrived today - there are at least 50 bees climbing in and out of the box right now. I'm hoping a swarm arrives shortly - is there anything I can be doing to further entice them?

Just a quick follow up. I checked another hive I left on some land away from my main farm (approx 4 miles away). Lots of bees teeming around the entrance. Very surprised!

Hi thanks for the info so far. I actually bumped into someone from the course and they said they'll prob be able to sort me out next month.

As I said before I've been trying to lure a colony. I have bait boxes up all over the farm and in ditches across the parish with no luck. Yesterday though I noticed a few dozen bees flying around a spare brood box at the back of the house! I had put a bit of lemon grass oil in there a few weeks ago but had kinda forgotten about it. More bees arrived today - there are at least 50 bees climbing in and out of the box right now. I'm hoping a swarm arrives shortly - is there anything I can be doing to further entice them?

No, they may be scouts but as you are he I guess there is no drawn wax in there, si probably nothing fir foragers.

They love the drawn wax.

• Advertisement

Just a quick follow up. I checked another hive I left on some land away from my main farm (approx 4 miles away). Lots of bees teeming around the entrance. Very surprised!

Sounds positive.

Hello,
    Looking for some general advice please...
    A generous neighbour created two splits from his hives for me.
    I brought one home on the 17th (with original queen) and one on the 25th (queen less with intention of creating emergency queen).
    The queened hive is full to the brim and was almost at the point of not having enough room so i put a super on it (with two drawn comb and the rest foundation). However last week when i went in there didn't seem to be much action in the super so i took off the excluder with the hope of drawing them up as well as giving the queen more room to lay. They have made a few cup cells but nothing that suggest swarming, i.e. no eggs in them and herself is still laying. I also took out two frames of brood and put in two foundations. This week they have drawn a little 'extension' on to the foundation (about 2 inch square which she has laid in) but they haven't drawn other than that. Also, whilst there are now bees within the super there still isn't much action here and the queen hasn't laid in the drawn supers.
    The second hive is a mystery to me. i know that i didn't bring the queen so would have expected them to create an emergency (I didn't see evidence of this...i.e. broken cell). I've gone in twice now and see eggs both times but not in a pattern per se - also whilst they are in patches they are still random. They are laid at the bottom of the cell rather than at the side - i had thought that it might be worker layers. I had put the two frames from the strong hive into this one in the hopes of drawing an emergency queen. There is the starting of a cell there but i cannot see royal jelly/grubs in it - and I would have thought it would be 'bigger/more advanced' after a week. It's quite strong in terms of population but I still don't think i have a laying queen or if she's in there she's certainly not in a rhythm.

Do i need to be worried about the first hive? I don't see evidence of swarming but does what I've described suggest something else?
    What is your opinion on the second hive? Is it likely to be laying workers and so i should shake it out up to 100m away?
    Advice greatly appreciated!
    Many thanks
    M

1) I would not worry about the first hive. You decision to allow the queen to lay in the super is a bit unorthodox, but whatever rocks your boat.
    2) Do not shake it out yet. You have put two frames from the hive 1 and after a week there are no queen cells, did I get you right? This may mean that they already have a queen. I would wait for another few weeks.

Bees will only draw comb when they have plenty of nectar coming in or if they are being fed. Right now there seems to be very little nectar around because of the drought and the 'june gap'. We are waiting for the blackberry...
    In these circumstances I wouldnt worry about them not doing anything in the super.
    Unless you are planning to move to a 'brrod and a half' for the winter, I would try to put back the QE. It will make thigs easier for you later.

On the second hive, you should have capped brood around 10 days after you saw the eggs. Drone brood is hugher and more rounded than worker brood. This will be a sure indicator of whether all is ok or not.

I know it's a bit unorthodox but I was trying to give her room/coax the others up. I think I'll do as DrDonkey says and put excluder back in particularly as she's not gone up anyway.
    I did have some capped brood and it was normal worker brood. On my first visit I took this to be the eggs I'd brought with me. On the second visit I took it to be the ones I'd transferred so I'm not convince that everything is ok...but at the same time, there isn't an excess of drone brood which there would be had the workers been laying...she just seem so slow to start. Will give it another few weeks. Thanks

Mellifera wrote: »
    there isn't an excess of drone brood which there would be had the workers been laying...she just seem so slow to start.

If the problem is laying workers you would have zero worker brood, all drones.
    Sometimes a new queen can be erratic in starting out and she needs a little time to settle into the routine.
    Do they have enough stores? If not, you could feed them. As I mentioned above there isnt much nectar around now so either add a frame of stores or feed some syrup.

• Advertisement

Have several hives gone off lay at the moment, haven't swarmed, queen marked and present.

Guess it's June gap.

If the problem is laying workers you would have zero worker brood, all drones.
    Sometimes a new queen can be erratic in starting out and she needs a little time to settle into the routine.
    Do they have enough stores? If not, you could feed them. As I mentioned above there isnt much nectar around now so either add a frame of stores or feed some syrup.

Guess, you're right re delayed start. They do have enough stores both of honey and pollen...they've brought a little bit in themselves as well, it's uncapped but it's still there. Will keep an eye. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I have a quick question. I was under the impression that you need to complete a bee-keeping course before starting with bees, but my husband (whose family kept bees in France for thirty years) says that we're good to go without one, and should start with the hive. Is the course required, or is is for complete beginners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Kash wrote: »
    I have a quick question. I was under the impression that you need to complete a bee-keeping course before starting with bees, but my husband (whose family kept bees in France for thirty years) says that we're good to go without one, and should start with the hive. Is the course required, or is is for complete beginners?

It is considered best practice to do a course but it is not a requirement. It is a great hobby and really interesting but it can be complicated and still throws up questions for even the most experienced beekeeper. In my mind, doing a course and joining your local association is a must.

He could probably give it.

I'm at 17 colonies now and never did a course.
    I do have a friend who pops in at the start to advise. Join the local association.
    I'd recommend it though to beginners.

• Advertisement

I haven't done a full course but have done 'lectures' etc. Would recommend that you join the local association... a lot of beekeeping is about garnering from others who are experienced and as previous poster said you will always be learning. Do the course if its feasible for you but don't let not having it prevent you from bee keeping.

Talking to a guy in Tipp with 170 hives, he said he considers anyone with less than 10 years experience to be a beginner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Talking to a guy in Tipp with 170 hives, he said he considers anyone with less than 10 years experience to be a beginner.

Sounds about right. I did a ten week course, have two hives and have been beekeeping over 3 years and still feel like an absolute novice!

There is no requirement to do a course but beekeeping has changed over the years and without a course you're going to run into problems at some point. In fact I would very strongly recommend that you do the intermediate and then the senior exams as you go along. Of course the preliminary "exam" is a prerequisite before these. There are so many old wive's tales and misinformation among beekeepers that it's important to have some formal education to understand what's real and what's not.

As for the measure of a beginner, I remember someone saying that you can keep 50 hives for one year or 1 hive for fifty years to get the same experience.

After 5 years keeping from 4 to 12 hives I am still very much a beginner too. The reason I know this is because I still get too many surprises!

Coming to the apiary, I have a short plan for each hive -- whether to skip its inspection, go through all frames to check for queen cells, do a split, add a feed, a super, make Apideas, etc. Almost each time something unexpected happens. A test frame in a hive which seems queenless produces no queen cells. A virgin queen is released on a frame inspection and then promptly jumps into the hive. Or I am greeted by a familiar hum while I am still far away from the hives -- someone is preparing to swarm irrespective of my previous control efforts :rolleyes:

victor8600 wrote: »
    After 5 years keeping from 4 to 12 hives I am still very much a beginner too. The reason I know this is because I still get too many surprises!

Coming to the apiary, I have a short plan for each hive -- whether to skip its inspection, go through all frames to check for queen cells, do a split, add a feed, a super, make Apideas, etc. Almost each time something unexpected happens. A test frame in a hive which seems queenless produces no queen cells. A virgin queen is released on a frame inspection and then promptly jumps into the hive. Or I am greeted by a familiar hum while I am still far away from the hives -- someone is preparing to swarm irrespective of my previous control efforts :rolleyes:
    Yep - pity they don't read the same books we do!

Check your bees have enough stores or any at the moment .

Check your bees have enough stores or any at the moment .

Thanks for the advise. Is it the bad weather?

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise. Is it the bad weather?

Yes, little flying, forage washed of nectar and big brood early in June.

Big demand and little coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was chatting to a friend recently about beekeeping. We're both thinking about next year.

Has anyone come across a skep hive or indeed used them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement