Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery charger/maintainer recommendations

Options
  • 03-04-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

I've been working from home for three weeks now, and now with current restrictions I'm driving once a week or less - but only short trips so not sure it's good enough to really charge the 12V battery... which I think is nearly 8 years old.

I have a Prius Plug-in, and the 12V battery is charged when plugged in and charging the traction battery - but since I'm driving so little that is happening rarely now. I believe if the 12V battery is dead, then the charging system can't start - a bit of a chicken and egg situation. It can't be push started either :)

So I was thinking of getting something like this: www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GENIUS2UK-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B0828HGG2Q/

Even once things are back to normal, I think it would be a handy thing to have. Apparently this model is only recommended for up to 40Ah batteries but that suits my car fine, and it has a specific AGM battery mode. Or should I spend that bit extra for a 5A model for the extra versatility (with other cars, etc.)?

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

If you really need a charger then Ctek are the ones to get

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Thanks, the CTEK chargers seem to be the best around.

Advertisement