Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rónán Mullen tops poll and re-elected to Senate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Geuze wrote: »
    Previously there were 30 chasing the 3 seats, in 2016?

This time 19 for 3 seats.

But practically all of the 19 were:

SJW / sociology lecturers / community activists / etc.

Nobody like Padraig O Ceidigh / Norris / Feargal Quinn / etc.

Even though there were 19 candidates, i struggled to choose even three prefs.

I was the same, I knew who I was my number 1 and my number 19 but I found most of the rest to be very similar.

A very uninspired bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Water John wrote: »
    Mullen doesn't do anything outside his core belief issues.

Just like Ruth Coppinger so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It good to hear other opinions even if you don't agree with very much they say
    Someone obviously hasn't tried to wade through all the unsubstantiated bullcrap in the coronavirus threads..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Best wishes to him and other winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Only 34% turnout I read. A lot of people just don't care about the Seanad.

Its a postal vote in the middle of the current crisis making a usually low turn out lower
    I voted number one for Ruth Coppinger by the way, despite disagreeing with a lot of her policies but I like her as a person and she does a lot of good work behind the scenes genuinely helping people out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Geuze wrote: »

Yes, I saw that later on. So he got c 9,000 votes, approx 1 in 4 of the valid poll or about 8% of the entire registered NUI electorate.

I guess the question then is how many graduates of NUI are entitled to be on that register? I think UCD quotes about 280,000 alumni and they likely are the biggest. So say we estimate 600,000 alumni across the various NUI institutions, Mullen in this case got about 1.5% of the potential electorate.

Given abt 30,000 is annual death rate in Ireland, over 50 years say that would be 1.5 million - so you could say that 600,000 alumni represents a total population of abt 6 million? Abt 1 in 10 are graduates? Sounds high?

On that basis, Mullen topped the poll on abt 0.0015% of the possible no of citizens over 50 years.

Hmm.. I suppose that gives some sort of measure, if imperfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes, I saw that later on. So he got c 9,000 votes, approx 1 in 4 of the valid poll or about 8% of the entire registered NUI electorate.

I guess the question then is how many graduates of NUI are entitled to be on that register? I think UCD quotes about 280,000 alumni and they likely are the biggest. So say we estimate 600,000 alumni across the various NUI institutions, Mullen in this case got about 1.5% of the potential electorate.

Given abt 30,000 is annual death rate in Ireland, over 50 years say that would be 1.5 million - so you could say that 600,000 alumni represents a total population of abt 6 million? Abt 1 in 10 are graduates? Sounds high?

On that basis, Mullen topped the poll on abt 0.0015% of the possible no of citizens over 50 years.

Hmm.. I suppose that gives some sort of measure, if imperfect!

He topped the poll next, Ruthy may look for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think he's a clown with some pretty weird views, but he got in, so either people want those views represented, or else he just played the game better than others. People can say it's undemocratic (and it is) but everybody knows the rules before it starts.

I can't say I've heard a single thing about him since the abortion referendum, and before that, the SSM referendum. I could say the same about any other senator too, I don't think I could name more than 5 off the top of my head.

The worst thing about the Seanad (for me) is how the big parties use it as a consolation prize to keep politicians warm who failed to get elected as a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The guy is a total oddball weirdo. I can't believe we're paying him a ridiculous salary for doing basically nothing. But sure we voted to keep this farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think he went some way to training in the priesthood. I've found in life that many who do that have very trenchant views and believe everyone else should think likewise, whatever their views.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It disgusts me that he keeps getting elected. He is a vile man imho. He is a consistent liar too.

How's the Seanad reform going Fine Gael??? Total waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

I think he went some way to training in the priesthood. ...

I dont think he went to a seminary. He did a post grad in journalism, lectured in Blanch IoT, worked as press secretary for the Dublin Archdiocese, qualified as a barrister. I'm not a fan of his, there were no stand out candidates on the NUI panel for me.

He had the benefit of being one of the only sitting senators and had a reasonable public profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

BarryD2 wrote:
    The only possible explanations I can think of are a) graduates of the National University of Ireland are far more conservative than the rest of society and/ or more likely b) only the religious conservative graduates bother voting.

Man doesn't agree with killing babies ...hence man is bad..I'm not sure I get your logic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Having being shown the road by the wise people of Dublin West it is good to see the intelligentsia voters do the same to ex Deputy Coppinger.
    We have enough loopers feeding out of the trough without her getting her head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mullen's continual re-election is an example of vote and candidate management by the religious right.

There's never a competing candidate that shares his platform, so he's sure not to split the St Pat's vote or the rest of the pro-life, anti-marriage equality, hardcore Catholic vote.

I think he went some way to training in the priesthood. I've found in life that many who do that have very trenchant views and believe everyone else should think likewise, whatever their views.

In my neck of the woods ex seminarians tend to be very ilreligious and non orthodox if religious but I wouldn't want to generalise too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Timmy Dooley gone.Kaboom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The guy is a total oddball weirdo. I can't believe we're paying him a ridiculous salary for doing basically nothing. But sure we voted to keep this farce.

I didn't vote for him but the he got elected, end of story.

He is as entitled to the 60k pa as any other person elected.

Not sure having an upper house needs to be a farce. Reform is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Timmy Dooley gone.Kaboom.

Ah Dimmy Tooley.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Man doesn't agree with killing babies ...hence man is bad..I'm not sure I get your logic

And who does agree with killing babies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I wouldn't consider myself a right winger but I have time for some right wingers like David Quinn for example.

Mullen on the other hand I find hard to listen to. He's so aloof and that puts me off.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider myself a right winger but I have time for some right wingers like David Quinn for example.

Mullen on the other hand I find hard to listen to. He's so aloof and that puts me off.

He isnt as charismatic as Quinn so I know what you mean but his arguments are not patronising or pompous. I recall him being slammed for allegedly smiling during an abortion hearing. The most insincere form of hatch job journalism. Not a peep about the inhumanity of people jostling in joy in Collins Barracks after the repeal passed. One rule for them, another for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Pherekydes wrote: »
    And who does agree with killing babies?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Killing Babies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm delighted Mullen got elected again. He takes an incredible amount of abuse from those who accuse him of intolerance.

I saw the video Coppinger made urging people not to vote for him. Imagine if the roles were reversed and Mullen did that. We'd have every quango up in arms and the Journal would be running article after article about it. Seeing her kicked out on her arse for the second time in space of two months is glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He isnt as charismatic as Quinn so I know what you mean but his arguments are not patronising or pompous. I recall him being slammed for allegedly smiling during an abortion hearing. The most insincere form of hatch job journalism. Not a peep about the inhumanity of people jostling in joy in Collins Barracks after the repeal passed. One rule for them, another for us.

I don't have that much experience of him to be fair but I do recall him saying once 'ppl are voting for xxx because they think it's totally right-on '. I don't recall which issue but that is certainly a patronizing comment if ever there was one and it wasn't even an argument. Plus, he always talks in a somewhat hysterical manner as if he's feeling 'i can't believe I have to say this you stupid people'. And I'm not even criticizing any of his individuals opinions, it's his manner I find unattractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm delighted Mullen got elected again. He takes an incredible amount of abuse from those who accuse him of intolerance.

I saw the video Coppinger made urging people not to vote for him. Imagine if the roles were reversed and Mullen did that. We'd have every quango up in arms and the Journal would be running article after article about it. Seeing her kicked out on her arse for the second time in space of two months is glorious.
    Indeed. We wont have to listen to her whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

BarryD2 wrote: »
    http://www.nui.ie/about/structure.asp

UCD, UCC, UCG etc? Graduates of these surely would vastly outnumber Maynooth seminarians.

You dont automatically get registered to vote as a graduate

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ronan Mullen is absolutely nothing like David Norris.

Ah you never know

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I recall him being slammed for allegedly smiling during an abortion hearing. The most insincere form of hatch job journalism. Not a peep about the inhumanity of people jostling in joy in Collins Barracks after the repeal passed. One rule for them, another for us.

My mother still can't get over this.

They had a party to celebrate abortion!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

An undemocratic, yuppy, mickey mouse institution.

Which we democratically voted on keeping.

Advertisement