Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Quiet Place 2

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

Ok We'll leave it at that.

Glue and rope??? For a house??

That's what you got from that?

Not the air compressor equipment powered by hydro, or the point that there are numerous other options for "quietly" constructing a dwelling?

I'm tapping out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Good god, how are some people still hung up on the waterfall shít.

Anyway, saw this last night and loved it. Didn't let up for the whole runtime and was probably the best movie you could have returned to the cinemas with. A proper big-screen type experience with a crowd. A girl in front of me almost jumped a foot off her seat with one of the scares, I've missed things like that. Nice to see the screening full (or as full as they're allowed to be) as I literally took the last available seat and all other screenings were booked out upto Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was very decent, if I had to complain maybe it's a bit too much "more of the same" and doesn't do anything new with the concept, but it's very solid, great performances as well.

Great to be back in the cinema too.

Why not just sit back and enjoy a movie about man versus unknown creatures.
    It's a monster movie for god's sake. It's not like a trails away from a facts of a so-called true story. How does it irritate you that something what you deem unrealistic happens in the film. That's a little sad. Surely you comprehend that the creatures are make believe.

In any case, the waterfall idea makes no sense. How would they just move their house beside the waterfall. They cannot just decide that "hey let's build a house over here, and whilst doing so, don't make any loud noises" - no hammering, no sawing etc. They cannot just stand around a waterfall all day - weather, no electricity etc.

What? Your whole tangent here makes zero sense. Do I know they are make believe? What sort of comment is that. No I thought I was watching a David Attenborough documentary. Seen one of those creatures in my back garden the other day....

It's not a monster movie btw, whatever that is. Godzilla v Kong is maybe a monster movie, more rubbish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I think at this point it's fairly obvious they are out of ideas now. Can't see how they could possibly do another sequel without it being just being a rinse and repeat.

We already know how to kill these guys. If they do go again, I fear there will be some new contrived storyline that somehow undoes this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I think at this point it's fairly obvious they are out of ideas now. Can't see how they could possibly do another sequel without it being just being a rinse and repeat.

We already know how to kill these guys. If they do go again, I fear there will be some new contrived storyline that somehow undoes this.

When you look at the profits they are generating it was never in doubt there would be a third. Practically covered their budget with the opening weekend takings in the US.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a36553200/a-quiet-place-3-release-date/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,738 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not sure if any sequel has ever justified 'Part II' quite so much, at least ones that weren't planned from the outset. This really, really feels like more of the same - even like the next week's episode in a tv series. It obviously loses the novelty of being number one, but beyond that it just simply hits the general solid quality level of the first - not better, but not much worse either.

There's more imagination in the sound design than the cinematography, unsurprisingly, so it definitely benefits from a cinema surround sound system in that regard.

It feels like they sorta wasted Emily Blunt with a minor story, but the film as a whole feels small-scale and minor - not always a bad thing (it cuts to credits with barely a frame wasted), but does reinforce that 'middle bit of a TV series' impression.

There was one thing I couldn't shake, though: this is really, really like The Last of Us (which itself recently boasted a 'Part II'). The first was too, but this was almost a clone at times. The opening section straight-up steals some of the ideas from the opening of that game - itself not a particularly original work in some regards (think Children of Men's car scene), but the setting and characters here are eerily similar. See the sequence that starts at around 6:45 in the video below, where we see chaos unfolding in a small town primarily through car windows.

Especially when the film starts focusing on Murphy and Simmonds' side of the story - and their journey through various overgrown urban environments and dangerous situations - it was *very" Joel and Ellie. There's obviously an adaptation of TLOU coming to HBO... but this makes me wonder whether that'll seem derivative of A Quiet Place, completing the uroboros of 'who influenced who' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Went to see this last night and it was a great movie to go back to the cinema for, it did for me what Tenet didn't do for me last time I got to return to the cinema after months away. I agree the film isn't a complete match to the first but there is no huge dip in quality that makes you wish they let it be.

I loved the opening scene, the addition of Cillian Murphy and the daughter getting to the forefront of the film. I have minor gripes but they bother me hugely. The biggest would be
    how did the creature get the boat to the island?
    A plot contrivance for sure, but wouldn't mind a teeny hint as to how that happens. It's like the Velociraptors in JP learning to open the doors times a thousand. I also worried they were going to get too into Walking Dead territory with the boat people. I hope they steer clear of going that direction with any more movies. I gave up on that show, and don't want to give up on this series if it continues.

It ends abruptly, maybe too abrupt. If it wasn't due to come out right before the pandemic I would have thought "production must have been shortened, so be it." A bit more of a character arc for Cillian's character would have been great but I'm going to presume part 3 won't be long until confirmed and I will look forward to what they do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There was one thing I couldn't shake, though: this is really, really like The Last of Us (which itself recently boasted a 'Part II').

I thought the exact same thing while watching the film. It's incredibly similar. I tried to say it to my wife but she didn't even know the game existed :pac: I wonder if Krasinski is a fan of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Saw this in the cinema last night and I enjoyed it a lot. It's really well made with incredible sound design and great tension throughout.

There are some problems with the plot though. It's reasonable obvious what's going to happen and I can't get my head around an obvious plot hole/issue -
    Why did the people on the Island just play 'Beyond The Sea' on a continuous loop if they wanted others to come to the Island. Why not actually have someone speaking and telling others where they are and how to get there. Also why not broadcast to others that the creatures can't swim? That would be slightly more helpful than playing a song on a repeat as some kind of cryptic clue.
    If you can ignore the above then it's a good film!

This part makes sense to me.
    We can see from Murphy going on about the people who survived aren't the sort of people you'd want to meet and the people at the boat dock so stands to reason you'd want to avoid broadcasting something clearly where you are due to the danger of those others. The cryptic clue at least at makes it safer as it's only someone looking to find other people and able to decipher the clue who'll find them.

Personally, I really enjoyed it, and it's a good film to see in the cinema with better sound systems, rather than at home. Would be looking forward to the further sequels here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I don't get the love for part 2 - I enjoyed it for what it was but it was nothing more than a rehash of the same story in a different location and with no ending, roll on Part 3

So many dumb actions in the movie that would have been acceptable in the first but having lived in this world for 18 months you wouldn't have done
    Why wear no shoes when everyone else is? Hobnail boots are obviously out but...

It was obviously a cash cow decision to make it without any thought to the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I enjoyed it. It’s pretty much the same as the first, maybe not as exciting because we knew what to expect. I don’t really see where the plot can go from here but excited anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Enjoyed this immensely,
    did anyone get Lost vibes at the jetty scene with the boat freaky people and especially after they get to the island and come across the community there Lost vibes again when they discover The Other's living quarters.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Loved the first one, and was really looking forward to this but left totally underwhelmed.

Took an hour to get any kind of focus on what the point was, and even then it dragged. Felt like a random episode of the walking dead, not a tight, tense 90 minute hold your breath movie like it could have been.

The split plotline thing in the last 3rd felt so unconnected. Big fan of John Krasinski but can't be a cheerleader here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Enjoyed that. It's definitely more of the same but it's still good for that. Opening sequence is really good.

It's a bit predictable, and hits familiar beats but still enjoyable.

Don't really think there's legs for a third. If it scales, then they'd have to shoehorn in the family, and if it doesn't, there's no real new place for the family's story to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I enjoyed it but nothing like the first part. A few issues with it that's leading into the standard horror film series litany of continuity errors (SPOILER ALERT!!!)

• I think we seen WAAYY to much of the creatures in part 2 compared to part 1. The threat of them and our imagination is scarier than the tonnes of CGI used in part 2
    • Their vulnerability to bullets varies significantly. In part 1 we see that they move so fast it's nearly impossible to shoot one but the high frequency sound can disorientate them and keep them relatively still, enough for a shotgun cartridge to kill one. In part 2 however we see that in their normal state they're basically impervious to gunfire except when they're confused by sound, in which case a round from a handgun can kill them. Makes no sense
    • People were loud in this one, they talked (ok whispered loudly) but compare this to part 1 where they could hardly breath without fear of attracting the creatures
    • The very cliché horror movie act of just killing off the black character as soon as he's relevant to the story was just a bit of an eyeroll for me, and the way he died (shear stupidity rather than any act of bravery) was just generic, old fashioned, Hollywood racist muck.
    • Some logic fails, if the creatures landed on the USA mainland and cannot swim (and do not possess the technology to overcome this) then certainly a large majority of the world would still be normal, with normal radio and tv broadcasts (unless they stow away in container ships for long periods which seems unlikely given how aggressive they are). With the rest of the world as normal there would surely be large scale counter-offensives organised by the rest of the world within the first year, certainly their vulnerability to high frequencies would have been discovered quite quickly by the world's remaining governments)
    • There must be a lot of them creatures (hundreds of millions of them) if every person in the continental USA is always within earshot of one yet the characters can walk for tens of kms and not see a single one at rest (they come to you)
    • These creatures clearly are not intelligent enough to overcome their sight issues, lack of swimming ability etc. therefore unlikely they have the technology to travel from some distant planet, only way they can further explain this is if they arrived by design of a more intelligent species or through some accident (due to fault of a more intelligent species), perhaps there'll be further explanation in part 3.
    • Something that evolved on another planet would be unlikely to be interested in eating (or be even able to digest) alien organic matter (no more than we'd fancy eating an alien from area 51)
    • With most of the people (and animals) already eaten, the creatures would then starve to death after some weeks. They're massive things and they move very fast, that's a high calorie demand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch and really enjoyed it!

Actually guessed the story all wrong based on the trailers and most remembering Cillian Murphy from his Batman film roles as scarecrow. So I was thinking he might be gonna betray them or the people on the Island were up to something no good. Was kinda glad neither was the case in the end.

These Aliens seem to be just kinda like weapons I'm guessing then. Clear out and hold onto the land on a planet from the looks of things.

Like how the film showed the arrival and gave more detail to them.

Think the people in the boating area had come up with a daft plan. Maybe they never tested it before, I dunno.

I'd be guessing any future doesn't need to hang onto the silence now that they have weapons. Maybe a jump into the future and the kids are grown up soldiers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pig director Michael Sarnoski signs on to direct the 3rd film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well then.. I better watch Pig

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is the spin-off that Jeff Nicholas was previously attached to rather than part 3 with Emily Blunt etc. It's not clear if part 3 is also going to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement