Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OLD GIGS 70S, 80S 90S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Luke G wrote: »
    Their bar only sold cheap Wine & Ritz i might add :P;)

Hah, totally forgot about the Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

oldies.jpg

oldies2.jpg

oldies3.jpg

gh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

oldies3.jpg

gh.jpg

Excellent Stuff Mate, Fair Play!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Bringing back some great memories of youth.
    Any info on Big Country return (even without Stuart R.I.P.) would be fantastic,i'm definately there!

• Advertisement

ger34 wrote: »
    Bringing back some great memories of youth.
    Any info on Big Country return (even without Stuart R.I.P.) would be fantastic,i'm definately there!

Howya Ger, HUGE fan myself, They are touring with Mike Peters from the alarm on vocals, and also Bruce Watsons son playing guitar too, They're touring the UK finishing on NYE in Glasgow i think it is, But there's more dates to be announced really soon, So fingers crossed for an Irish date ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Any tickets for Feile '91 I can only remember bits of the line up ;) and there practicallly no info online...

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Any tickets for Feile '91 I can only remember bits of the line up ;) and there practicallly no info online...

Possibly Happy Mondays or was That 1992???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Think the Happy Mondays were the next year, only went once myself in 1991.
    On the friday there was...
    Ride
    The LA's (not sure???)
    The Farm
    Black Francis (solo, surprise gig)

The Black Crows on saturday evening.

Billy Bragg on sunday afternoon and then later Elvis Costello.

The rest I can't remember its so long ago.
    I bought a bootleg (taken from the sound desk or so I was told :D) outside the stadium on the way home, only had a tenner left and it was a hard choice between Billy Bragg and Black Francis. I went with the Pixies frontman in the end. Good memories of this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Think the Happy Mondays were the next year, only went once myself in 1991.
    On the friday there was...
    Ride
    The LA's (not sure???)
    The Farm
    Black Francis (solo, surprise gig)

The Black Crows on saturday evening.

Billy Bragg on sunday afternoon and then later Elvis Costello.

The rest I can't remember its so long ago.
    I bought a bootleg (taken from the sound desk or so I was told :D) outside the stadium on the way home, only had a tenner left and it was a hard choice between Billy Bragg and Black Francis. I went with the Pixies frontman in the end. Good memories of this weekend!

Other bands that played that weekend were:

Something Happens
    That Petrol Emotion
    The Pogues
    The Sawdoctors
    The Stunning
    The Wonderstuff
    Power Of Dreams
    The Golden Horde
    The Mock Turtles
    Van Morrison
    Nanci Griffith
    Transvision Vamp

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Some Old Gig Posters

Siouxsie & The Banshees - SFX

I am immeasurably jealous of this one. Absolute idols of mine. Caught Siouxsie's solo act in Tripod a little while back, one of my favourite gigs ever.

I am immeasurably jealous of this one. Absolute idols of mine. Caught Siouxsie's solo act in Tripod a little while back, one of my favourite gigs ever.

Scroll back a few pages, there's a stub from their gig in the Cabra Grand (Old Cinema, Now A Bingo Hall) from 1980, The Same Year The Skids Played There & Also Hazel O'Connor Supported by an unknown Birmingham 5 piece called Duran Duran, Wonder whatever became of them?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I remember Siouxsie and the Banshees were booked to play the Ambassador in 2002 I think, but it was cancelled.

A few from the Tivoli (downstairs). They served very chilly Beamish at the time, much appreciated by myself.

Sinead O'Connor, I love it when she's singing, not so keen when she's talking.. This was a great concert, super sound and band. She was going through a phase where the songs were a tad Dub heavy. She played Mind Games from John Lennon, again, with a heavy bass vibe going on.

Awful awful heckle, someone.. extremely drunk, screamed, 'SHOW US YOUR C---', during a very very quiet part of Scorn Not His Simplicity.

A Friday and Saturday double. I regret not going on the Saturday. Amazing voice. Delighted I got a chance to see her in a relatively small venue.

tivsoc020695.jpg

I was a Spacemen 3 fan, Sonic Boom, Spectrum etc.. Great to see Spiritualized. The sound was perfect. Drummer\Percussionist was impressive, really pulling off the album effects live.

tivspi080193.jpg

Ill Communication had just come out, I clung like a limpet at the barrier for dear life, the place was heaving. The barrier was reinforced with awful tubing that had hexagonal nuts that stuck out. Great. I placed a bag with belongings down at my feet for about ten seconds after the concert, putting on a jacket, someone walked off with the bag.

tivbb110694.jpg

Hicks had been on 'The Word' about 3 or 4 days before the Irish date. He could have walked across the Irish sea.. the amount of hype. His 'paper cut with a whisp of cotton candy' and '..quivering rabbit nostril' & 'Goat Boy' routines cleared about 6 or 7 people (mostly female) from the front row.

tivbh011292.jpg

I love Canice Kenealy's voice, Engine Alley always put on good shows. Very accomplished band live. I don't understand how they didn't become more widespread. (goes off in search of an Engine Alley CD to play..)

tivea191292.jpg

Set list below. (Engine Alley)

tiveasl191292.jpg

More soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

When I saw them back in 1980 in Cabra they were supported by Microdisney iirc. Also saw The Ramones there around the same time but don't have a ticket unfortunately.

bullpost wrote: »
    When I saw them back in 1980 in Cabra they were supported by Microdisney iirc. Also saw The Ramones there around the same time but don't have a ticket unfortunately.

The Ramones State Cinema 1978, I uploaded the ticket & some pics a few pages back

The Ramones State Cinema 1978, I uploaded the ticket & some pics a few pages back

Ramones also played here in 1980

Ramones also played here in 1980

Never knew that, was it the Cabra Grand aswel? I have the stubs from their 2 nights at the TV Club in 1985 aswel, Never knew about the 1980 date, Thanks Mate..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Where was McGonagles and what kind of capacity venue would it be? Smaller than the Top Hat? I'm guessing the SFX was the largest of those three.

Does anyone have memories of Red Box, before it became Tripod? I only saw Fugazi and NOFX there, can't remember what years but both were amazing gigs.

Hey Freak - can't remember the capacity of McGons - thought it was around the 500 mark.......
    I was pretty sure the SFX was slightly bigger capacity wise than the Top Hat.......many good memories from all 3 venues......

From the Red Box - off the top of my head I only remember seeing CAST and The Jeff Healey Band in there......but there has to have been more things I was at there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Thanks for sharing these. Hard to believe so many bands played Ireland long long before my time. I started going to gigs hardcore in 2003, have a lot of ticket stubs from then until now, maybe I'll post some in about 10 years lol

Thanks for sharing these. Hard to believe so many bands played Ireland long long before my time. I started going to gigs hardcore in 2003, have a lot of ticket stubs from then until now, maybe I'll post some in about 10 years lol

Aye Motley, welcome aboard, You prob know it already but the Crue played Belfasts Ulster Hall in 1986, NEVER a Dublin date tho, Nikki Sixx & Vince Neil must be secret staunch loyalists :D;);)

SIMPLE MINDS CROKE PARK 1986 (Credit to P Donnellly)

Have a bundle of stubs to scan, Dating back to 1981 or so, Watch this space!

old2.jpg

old.jpg

Pics of the gig

Few More, Lots More To Follow ;)

Check this out, Absolutely Priceless & Signed by Robert Plant himself,. Thanks Again to Mr G Connolly for sharing..;)

Their 1st Irish gig back in the day, Hetfield had broken his arm skateboarding so roadie Jim Marshall took over guitar duties. Cliff Burton R.I.P was dead two weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Check this out, Absolutely Priceless & Signed by Robert Plant himself,.

That was their only Irish gig iirc?

Advertisement