Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did PCP work out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Started new pcp in July, business on hold for the moment, every bill will be a struggle for the immediate future. Previously had 3 year Pcp, no hassle. What’s the point of the 911 post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

If cars are routinely serviced & by that I mean -by the book -checks and service, then they can do a lot more miles (and in a reliable fashion) than the average punter (and even a lot of mechanics :rolleyes:) would ever dream of.
    Rust can be an issue but even that can be greatly mitigated with preventative and treatment measures. Examples :British cabs usually do around 400k miles before a rebore and probably another 400k after. Donedeal:2004/vectra/1.6P/nct/300kmiles.2001/yaris/1P/nct/240kmiles.98/landcruiser/3D/nct/380kmiles.2006/avensis/2D/nct/370kmiles.
    But we don't do this. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

munster87 wrote: »
    What’s the point of the 911 post?

I'm guessing he was trying to highlight that you don't have to go pcp and lose money.
    But a 911 (or most exotics) that fall a LOT in a downturn, might not be a usable car for most people so I think that is an exceptional case.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the car market here if this drags on, if folk cant get refinanced there could be a LOT of returned cars flooding the market.
    To quote Warren Buffett " Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Not PCP but just showing what can be done if you choose the right car..
    in 2011 i bought a 2002 Manual Porsche 911 (996.2) C4 for 16k...
    9 years later the car is worth 23k to 24k ...
    even if i sold it for 16 k .. i had 9 years of 911 motoring for zero cost ..

But this is in no way represtative of the normal car market and what is available.

I might as well say a bought a bannan in tesco for 50c and a roll of masking tape in woddies for 3 euro 6 months ago.....

Stuck the banana to a wall with the tape and now it's worth 120k.......!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Saga Noren won hers....
    Seriously though talk about a more impractical car for almost everyone, imagine trying to get my ageing father in and out of that yoke.. putting fuel in it for 25k a year and as for getting someone to service it... Forget about it.

I'm a year into PCP on the superb, not working due to the shut down unfortunately, I have some savings so I'll see how it pans out. Worrying times certainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Saga Noren won hers....
    Seriously though talk about a more impractical car for almost everyone, imagine trying to get my ageing father in and out of that yoke.. putting fuel in it for 25k a year and as for getting someone to service it... Forget about it.

I'm a year into PCP on the superb, not working due to the shut down unfortunately, I have some savings so I'll see how it pans out. Worrying times certainly.

They are a very useable car.
    Fuel would be severe but if doing 5 to 10k per year, it would be ok.
    They have beautiful suspension, none of the bone shaker nonsense you get in some cars.
    They can give problems which will be expensive so buying a good one is key.
    Its not for everyone obviously as tax alone would nearly cover depreciation on some cars but it can be reasonably priced if bought right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Interesting perspective from the UK

https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/1244520237241958402?s=19

But it could never happen here presumably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

It's behind a pay-wall now, what's the gist of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Why can't private leasing become more of a thing in Ireland. On the continent I know a lot of people that go this option. Can get a brand new polo for example, comfortline with 15000k km allowance for ~EUR 390 per month and that includes all maintenance, insurance, tax and tyres. All you pay for is the fuel. Oh and there's no deposit. Sounds like a fairly good deal.

https://www.volkswagen.nl/private-lease

yer man! wrote: »
    Why can't private leasing become more of a thing in Ireland. On the continent I know a lot of people that go this option. Can get a brand new polo for example, comfortline with 15000k km allowance for ~EUR 390 per month and that includes all maintenance, insurance, tax and tyres. All you pay for is the fuel. Oh and there's no deposit. Sounds like a fairly good deal.

https://www.volkswagen.nl/private-lease

3 year cost is 14k and 4year cost is nearly 19k.

How much is the car worth? And what would its value be after 4 years?

Other savings estimated on this?
    road tax 600 for 4 years
    Insurance 2k for 4 years
    Mataiainance 500 for 4 years

• Advertisement

ForestFire wrote: »
    3 year cost is 14k and 4year cost is nearly 19k.

How much is the car worth? And what would its value be after 4 years?

Private lease so you never own it, hand it back after the term and go again. No deposit or resale value to think about, just the monthly payment and the fuel you put in, literally the only two expenses.

Private lease so you never own it, hand it back after the term and go again. No deposit or resale value to think about, just the monthly payment and the fuel you put in, literally the only two expenses.

Ireland's crazy prices insurance costs are probably the biggest drawback. It looks fantastic in fairness I'd definitely go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

10 years of ownership with zero depreciation (and that’s just a ‘maybe’ now), not zero cost.

What’s your total cost of ownership over those 10 years? People with a pcp have warranty and maintenance included usually, and 0% finance in many cases.

Had a ‘06 911 once and petrol, tax and insurance were about €6k pa ( €2500, €2350 & €1500) and easily €1-2k pa on maintenance (clutch replacement was far far more).
    That’s AT LEAST €6-7.5k in running costs annually.

“10 years of zero cost motoring” in your case would be buying it for €16k and selling for €80k!

My point is will cost you 19k(minus benifit) over 4 years for a car that is worth how much?

So how much is a new polo like this worth new, And will still have value after 4 years if you bought it outright, on low interest pcp etc?

Not saying its a bad deal wondering the cars value?

Comfort line polo about 20k
    1.9% pcp 209 euros a month
    Yes there is a deposit and bsllon payment but over 3 years payment is 7.5k vs 14k on lease.

My point is will cost you 19k(minus benifit) over 4 years for a car that is worth how much?

So how much is a new polo like this worth new, And will still have value after 4 years if you bought it outright, on low interest pcp etc?

Not saying its a bad deal wondering the cars value?

Ah I get ya now, apologies. So a comfortline polo new is about 23k (with a couple of options).

After two years the cost of depreciation is about 7 - 8k. Quite steep.

I guess it's just a very handy package as they take care of everything else. Also, the longer the term the lower the monthly cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Blowheads wrote: »
    Full article is free if you register. Here's a flavour;

The stability of the £110 billion motor finance sector is being called into question as the economic downturn takes its toll on the personal finances of millions who have borrowed to buy their car.
    The extent of buying on the never-never through financial products such as personal contract purchase plans (PCPs) has been described as a ticking time bomb and has already come under scrutiny by the Bank of England and the Financial Conduct Authority.
    With vast numbers being laid off or furloughed on lower pay, motor finance lenders are scrabbling to offer payment holidays or contract extensions. The motor trade fears that among the 7 million who have borrowed to acquire a car in the past three years, many will have to return the keys. That in turn could decrease the residual value of vehicles and leave motorists and finance companies out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Private lease is on the way alright.

Well, competitive private lease. You would be mad to do a private lease now over a PCP, the latter being a far better product over all.

What we need is cheaper cars. The finance product is neither here nor there.
    Let the manufacturers take abit of a hit. Some of the deals in u k on large bmws are unreal. Massive dealer contribution / discount meaning tiny deposit needed. This makes for a very low risk purchase with no loss of deposit to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

L-M wrote: »
    Private lease is on the way alright.

Well, competitive private lease. You would be mad to do a private lease now over a PCP, the latter being a far better product over all.

Why has there not been private leasing here?
    Is it a legal thing or is it that our cars are too expensive to make it work?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Why has there not been private leasing here?
    Is it a legal thing or is it that our cars are too expensive to make it work?

With pick n mix insurance costs here it would be impossible to give give everyone a fixed price deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

While it makes for a nice headline to get subscribers, the simple fact of the matter is that all credit products will suffer when you (in this jurisdiction for example) lose all of the jobs created over a 10 year period in just 2 weeks.

People who have gone from maybe taking home 6/7/800 per week and are now down to somewhere in the region of 350 will have to cut their cloth and that means out of the mortgage, the car and possibly a credit card, the latter 2 are likely to be on the back burner.

The likely hood is that the economies of europe will rebound after a bad period of 2 to 4 quarters post Covid-19. This crash is fundamentally different to 2008. If the government/europe can keep most firms afloat and then provide stimulus post-outbreak then we can recover reasonably quickly. There will be a lot of pent up demand by those lucky enough not to be affected by this financially.

There is just no legislating for the current situation

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

Is the Private Leasing model the same as PCH (Personal Contract Hire) ?

Regardless on the severity of the downturn I think brands and dealers are going to find it difficult to sell new reg cars no matter how sales people shape the deal. This year is a write off and there'll hardly be a rush on January sales either.

pow_pow wrote: »
    Is the Private Leasing model the same as PCH (Personal Contract Hire) ?

Regardless on the severity of the downturn I think brands and dealers are going to find it difficult to sell new reg cars no matter how sales people shape the deal. This year is a write off and there'll hardly be a rush on January sales either.

PCH is a lease.

PCP/HP same thing (But PCP has a balloon)

So many think PCP is a Lease or some form of it, it’s a Hire purchase with a balloon payment, of which the latter has Ts and Cs to protect the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Any PCP experience with a KIA?
    Are they more like VW or greedy like BMW?

xboxdad wrote: »
    Any PCP experience with a KIA?
    Are they more like VW or greedy like BMW?

Just look at the figure that you owe after 3 years and it should be between 30-40% of the price of it new.

Kia usually do 0% etc.

Also ask do they do a refinance option at the end and what's the APR usually for that.

Other than that, no one is more "greedy" than anyone else, unless it's down to APR.

Just look at the figure that you owe after 3 years and it should be between 30-40% of the price of it new.

Kia usually do 0% etc.

Also ask do they do a refinance option at the end and what's the APR usually for that.

Other than that, no one is more "greedy" than anyone else, unless it's down to APR.

Thank you.

By "greedy" or not, I meant there's plenty of documentation in this thread that:
    VW => Pride themselves in giving you good trade-in values and they're set up for letting you switch cars without having to pay a deposit every 3 years (I understand the process, so this is in general)
    BMW => Will squeeze 8-10k out of you at each step, you'll get GMFV only, you'll get higher than advertised rates, you'll pay a deposit every 3 years for sure

I'm wondering what usually happens when ppl want to upgrade a 40k KIA to another 40k KIA after the 3 year PCP is up. Do you get BMW'd or get the nice VW treatment. Or in between..

But the only different between the likes what BMW do and what VW do is you’ll pay less per month for the BMW. So if you were clues in to pay monthly plus save a bit on the side it’s all the same.

It’s a robbing Peter to pay Paul type scenario. Plus you won’t find any low APRs in the premium segment because, well, they simply don’t have to.

But the only different between the likes what BMW do and what VW do is you’ll pay less per month for the BMW. So if you were clues in to pay monthly plus save a bit on the side it’s all the same.

It’s a robbing Peter to pay Paul type scenario. Plus you won’t find any low APRs in the premium segment because, well, they simply don’t have to.

Well, by reading the first 15-20 pages of this forum topic I didn't think it was simply about setting too optimistic GMFVs.

Bmw dealers were absolutely taking the piss in trade in more than any other brand.
    When you have this middleman looking to make 10k on the deal, it is never going to work out too well.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Bmw dealers were absolutely taking the piss in trade in more than any other brand.
    When you have this middleman looking to make 10k on the deal, it is never going to work out too well.

Yes, so this is what I was referring to mainly.

How's KIA I still wonder..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Plus you won’t find any low APRs in the premium segment because, well, they simply don’t have to.

Give it a couple of months.

mickdw wrote: »

How do you know what costs are involved in maintaining a BMW dealership and or what costs BMW garages for prep, warranty etc?

I’m not having a go but there is absolutely no way BMW garages are trying to make 10k out of a car. I can 100 percent assure you of that.

High volume of Imports and their cost might have an effect on trade in values. Not the dealer trying to make a mint.

How do you know what costs are involved in maintaining a BMW dealership and or what costs BMW garages for prep, warranty etc?

I’m not having a go but there is absolutely no way BMW garages are trying to make 10k out of a car. I can 100 percent assure you of that.

High volume of Imports and their cost might have an effect on trade in values. Not the dealer trying to make a mint.

You are deliberately trying to cloud matters.
    10k on the deal as i referred to it would be the difference between buy in and sale cost.
    Sure they have costs and the 10k has to go towards costs and wages etc and any prep but the figure is still simply too high and is taking the piss. The direct price reference could clearly be seen where they are buying in stock from uk and im basing my figure on uk retail at a bmw dealer, adding in vrt and delivery so assuming they wouldnt pay retail, the figure would be even more. Im also talking about less than 1 year old so very limited reconditioning costs and surely no warranty costs.
    Typically, what i was looking at a few months back, late 18 530e, with the spec i was looking at, main dealers here were asking 43950 for a uk import with uk car landed here privately from a bmw dealer in uk for 33k.
    All this is before they start to take the piss on trade in which they routinely appear to retail at 10k more than offered against full retail price here.

Sorry, I thought you meant what they were allowing Irish customers on trade ins at the end of a PCP agreement.... which is what we’re talking about.

They aren’t the only one bringing stuff in from the UK and adding hefty margins, that’s a different story altogether to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Blowheads wrote: »

Full article seems to be replicated here and not behind a pay wall.

Here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

has anyone not had a payment collected by VW this month?

mine usually come out the 1st of the month and no collection this month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

Mine due today.... so far nothing taken

Just look at the figure that you owe after 3 years and it should be between 30-40% of the price of it new........

What makes and models are GFVM under 35%?
    I

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

I believe there was some alteration advertised re vw bank collections before the virus hit. It will be taken just alittle late for some.

What do they check when you apply for PCP approval?
    Is it as tough as applying for mortgage or what's the process?

Thank you.

• Advertisement

I emailed VW bank last week asking for the 3 month payment break, they replied this morning giving it to me, it's a massive relief tbh, hopefully everything will be ok by July.

I emailed VW bank last week asking for the 3 month payment break, they replied this morning giving it to me, it's a massive relief tbh, hopefully everything will be ok by July.

Do you know the details of a break on pcp?

Is your term extended, or higher payments when resuming?
    Do they add addition interest during the break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

xboxdad wrote: »
    What do they check when you apply for PCP approval?
    Is it as tough as applying for mortgage or what's the process?

Thank you.

It seems the process can depend
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108681950

Do you know the details of a break on pcp?

Is your term extended, or higher payments when resuming?
    Do they add addition interest during the break?

Yes they explained everything in the email. I'm on 0% finance so extra interest isn't a worry. The three months are added on at the end, payments will resume in July, my credit rating isn't affected.

Yes they explained everything in the email. I'm on 0% finance so extra interest isn't a worry. The three months are added on at the end, payments will resume in July, my credit rating isn't affected.

Thanks, might apply myself since I'm in 0% as well. I'm still working, but on reduced hours at the moment, so every little helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Apologies if this should be asked elsewhere. Has anyone with VW bank payments due the 1st of the month not had their payments taken this month? Ours usually goes on the 1st but could be the 3rd depending on how it falls. It hasn't been taken yet for this month so just wondering if others are in the same boat?

Edit: Apologies just seen the post further up.

Augeo wrote: »
    What makes and models are GFVM under 35%?
    I

I could have been a bit broad with as low as 30 but it was just a general ballpark figure of where they should lie.

I've seen it mentioned on here a few times ..... 38/39 is lowest I've noticed from browsing.

Augeo wrote: »
    I've seen it mentioned on here a few times ..... 38/39 is lowest I've noticed from browsing.

if you take the base price ex delivery maybe.

Lots of cars, (Even Vw especially) a huge percentage of cars will be + delivery + metallic paint + Technology packs. Suddenly when you add all that "normal" stuff in the percentage starts to drop.

The Volkswagen E Golf Executive at the minute has an RRP excluding Metallic and tech pack of €32,350 and a 3 year 60kms GMFV of €10,727. That's around 33% before you add the €1,000 minimum of extras.

I'd say the e golf is a bit of an outlier though?

• Advertisement
Advertisement