Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DAVE1972

Plenty of the 142 traffic , terrific car 200bhp . since Hyundai got the contract for patrol cars its been pretty boring fleet outside of armed support units, I was on RTE archives recently and its was in 1970s & 80s old style blue and traffic cars , all kinds of models sierra carina ascona corolla Renault 4 & 18s , montego , maestro , fiat mirafiori etc I could go on . i

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Tuscon was added to the driving course because of their introduction to traffic units.

I'd put money on the next patrol car being the Peugeot 308 like the UK.

We've got their public order vans and I've seen some smaller unmarked vans too. Saw a Dublin City Council van from them too on a 192 reg.

Yes agreed that’s why but better train all is good idea.

You really love Peugeot’s 😂 they have 4 years left of Hyundai contract

POGAN wrote: »
    Yes agreed that’s why but better train all is good idea.

You really love Peugeot’s 😂 they have 4 years left of Hyundai contract

Grand if they can supply them. The contract would be for a class of vehicle, not a brand. If they can't supply the class then move on. There is a list of approved vehicles for each class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mondeo was the best patrol we had. Hoping they buy a ball of them when they stop production next year.

Mk 5s (current model) are generally a disappointment to anyone that loved the Mk 3 and 4 Mondeo's.

Built with a US focus (It's US sister car was the Ford Fusion) in the wider design.

The handling isn't up to what was the traditional Mondeo standard.

I did hear of reliability issues too - but on a 2020/21 model those might have been sorted.

It's probably an improvement on the i40 but that's about it.

A pity because they actually look well styling wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DAVE1972

foreign wrote: »
    Grand if they can supply them. The contract would be for a class of vehicle, not a brand. If they can't supply the class then move on. There is a list of approved vehicles for each class.

PEUGEOT are fine car , very popular in UK , I remember a 91d 405 marked when I worked in galway doing the rounds along with a marked 309 I think in Oranmore galway aswell as an unmarked white one in the bridewell in cork ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Why did procurement end the Toyota deal!? I was asked today but I actually forgot...

Why did procurement end the Toyota deal!? I was asked today but I actually forgot...

They were horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Are they all pretty much gone? Certainly didn't last very long in their silver colours.

Are they all pretty much gone? Certainly didn't last very long in their silver colours.

They went mileage so quick as so little cars purchased since 07/08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

I liked the estate avensis we had it never gave up but it went to another district we got a 07 focus replace (no joke) but I forgot why they were replaced...

• Advertisement

I liked the estate avensis we had it never gave up but it went to another district we got a 07 focus replace (no joke) but I forgot why they were replaced...

Clutches, engines going bang... but realistic they first purchase since 2007

They are given to units and they were down so many cars couldn’t regulate mileage as it was one car covering the job of 3 cars that’s why they didn’t last.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

Why don’t they lease the cars from the manufacturer like the uk?

Why don’t they lease the cars from the manufacturer like the uk?

Won’t happen here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'd love to see an increase in the 'hot hatches' Golfs, VRS, RS etc... I would say they'd buy them cheap enough, running costs might be expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mpc

carzony wrote: »
    I'd love to see an increase in the 'hot hatches' Golfs, VRS, RS etc... I would say they'd buy them cheap enough, running costs might be expensive though

Whole life cost would be huge for these cars but they're needed

carzony wrote: »

There a few of them DMR

mpc wrote: »
    Whole life cost would be huge for these cars but they're needed

We are spending 1 million a month on service and repairs

We are spending 1 million a month on service and repairs

Bear in mind there are about 2,500 vehicles on the fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That's an average of €400 per month per vehicle.

Not your ornery onager

Bear in mind there are about 2,500 vehicles on the fleet

Of course... this includes crash repairs etc

• Advertisement

Of course... this includes crash repairs etc

And tyres which on Garda vehicles are replaced once below 3mm thread depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they started replacing blown bulbs that would go up considerably....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

If they started replacing blown bulbs that would go up considerably....

Frustrating from a public perception that you can pick up penalty points for a blown light but of course state cars are exempt because you know they are safer (I know I know, save it for somewhere else! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No lights isn't a penalty point offence. Fixed charge yes, but no penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Saw part of one of the chases the other week in Dublin, the ones that were going on for hours. The car in this case was a Toyota Vitz/Yaris I think.

There was an unmarked focus hatchback hot on its heels and an X5 armed response unit, well at the end of the road there was a 90degree right turn and it seemed like the X5 barely made it round!

Scraping the Door handles..
    Must eat tyres, don’t get why they would choose them over an estate.

Saw part of one of the chases the other week in Dublin, the ones that were going on for hours. The car in this case was a Toyota Vitz/Yaris I think.

There was an unmarked focus hatchback hot on its heels and an X5 armed response unit, well at the end of the road there was a 90degree right turn and it seemed like the X5 barely made it round!

There's a serious amount of weight in the back of the ASU's with the equipment and gun safe. I'd imagine ground clearance would become an issue in an estate, especially going over ramps.

The PSNI have A6 Avants which are fairly heavy in the rear

There's a serious amount of weight in the back of the ASU's with the equipment and gun safe. I'd imagine ground clearance would become an issue in an estate, especially going over ramps.

The PSNI have A6 Avants which are fairly heavy in the rear

Probably a compromise along the lines of the old Volvo XC vehicles or Audi Avant Allroad is the right mix.

Think I watched the same video and didn't see any issue with the the cornering.

Think I watched the same video and didn't see any issue with the the cornering.

Wasn't video, live action!

• Advertisement

Wasn't video, live action!

Lucky you! I'll throw up a link to the video. It's very annoying though.

Advertisement