Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭downcow

A solo run? We're an independent foreign nation I keep hearing loudly from unionists. Which is it?

Unfortunately we have a lot of citizens wrapped up in Unionist intransigence so it would make sense from our POV to make sure that they are taken care of.

So if that means requesting NI being part of an all-Island solution to this crisis, then that is a matter of course. Only the most bigoted, like yourself, would see that as an affront to the status quo.

Your bigotry is blinding you. The logic is two have an all-islands approach. Two big islands next door to each other with a common travel. Yet Leo went off on a solo run because some other Irish parties spooked him that they may announce first. He made zero contact with either NI or UK

jm08 wrote: »
    Between Norway and Sweden you don't have house where the sitting room is in Sweden and the kitchen in Norway! You don't have 40,000 crossings of the border every day. You don't have kids living in Norway, but going to school in Sweden.

The border between Norway and Sweden is a natural border with no towns or villages close to it. Its over 1,000 km long and it has about 20 crossing points.

try answering the question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Your bigotry is blinding you. The logic is two have an all-islands approach. Two big islands next door to each other with a common travel. Yet Leo went off on a solo run because some other Irish parties spooked him that they may announce first. He made zero contact with either NI or UK
    Leo probably thought that the UK was too small of a Country for him to be bothering himself with ! !:eek:

Sinn Fein have not covered themselves in glory over the last few days and their beloved United Ireland Corporation has came up far short.
    Conor Murphy as finance minister as finance minister announced this groundbreaking United deal between 'North and South'. He said they had teamed up to purchase a massive consignment of PPE from China which would 'meet the needs of our health service'
    Que nurses groups all very excited and commending him.

Oh dear oh dear. To date he has finally owned up that it was never signed and will not happen. But the Brits are coming up trumps with a consignment.

Oh dear oh dear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    Sinn Fein have not covered themselves in glory over the last few days and their beloved United Ireland Corporation has came up far short.
    Conor Murphy as finance minister as finance minister announced this groundbreaking United deal between 'North and South'. He said they had teamed up to purchase a massive consignment of PPE from China which would 'meet the needs of our health service'
    Que nurses groups all very excited and commending him.

Oh dear oh dear. To date he has finally owned up that it was never signed and will not happen. But the Brits are coming up trumps with a consignment.

Oh dear oh dear

And thousands of people from your wee country are going to die needlessly owing to arlenes obsession with being british am doing whatever Downing Street are doing.

The same Downing Street that has made its fourth u turn on this crisis in two short weeks.

I really want to be here when you realize Sinn Fein really aren’t the problem you guys have in all this.

• Advertisement

Runaways wrote: »
    And thousands of people from your wee country are going to die needlessly owing to arlenes obsession with being british am doing whatever Downing Street are doing.

The same Downing Street that has made its fourth u turn on this crisis in two short weeks.

I really want to be here when you realize Sinn Fein really aren’t the problem you guys have in all this.

Sinn Fein have been a disgrace.
    It was almost painful to watch their back paddling today.
    Michelle has spent the last few days slating all the other parties in Northern Ireland. She completely backtracked today.
    Conor was also painful to watch as he fielded questions about how he had misled people in his promise of all the PPE that was needed.

Sinn Fein have been on a very steep learning curve in the last few days. They have discovered that you cannot ride two horses. I.e. you cannot be government and the opposition.
    They have tried to play the opposition game whilst in government, but they have been massively found out.
    If there was an election in the morning they would be in very serious trouble.

I do though think they have learnt the hard way and going forward they will probably realise that they need to put people in front of Sinn Fein - I new concept for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sinn Fein have been a disgrace.
    It was almost painful to watch their back paddling today.
    Michelle has spent the last few days slating all the other parties in Northern Ireland. She completely backtracked today.
    Conor was also painful to watch as he fielded questions about how he had misled people in his promise of all the PPE that was needed.

Sinn Fein have been on a very steep learning curve in the last few days. They have discovered that you cannot ride two horses. I.e. you cannot be government and the opposition.
    They have tried to play the opposition game whilst in government, but they have been massively found out.
    If there was an election in the morning they would be in very serious trouble.

I do though think they have learnt the hard way and going forward they will probably realise that they need to put people in front of Sinn Fein - I new concept for them.

Of all the mess ups in NI you are ranting about that? :D:D:D

It's a **** up alright...but lets keep it in perspective downcow.

Of all the mess ups in NI you are ranting about that? :D:D:D

It's a **** up alright...but lets keep it in perspective downcow.

I wish you were correct. Rhi etc were minor distractions. Unfortunately Covid is a real tragedy and sf thought they would play petty political games with it. Every other party leader in north has put lives way before self or party. Sf tried to play the orange/green card and I think many of their own supporters will never forget it.
    Irony is that have had to drop their games and by dragged kicking and screaming to realise they are the government.
    If it wasn’t such serious times I would really enjoy watching the mess they got themselves into.

Every other party leader in north has put lives way before self or party.

:D:D:D:D

Don't get into the PR, party publicist game downcow...you'd be crap at it.

Lots more people are going to die in NI because Arlene went once again with the Tory's.

10-15 years
    The absolute refusal to not only see but even acknowledge the very effing obvious facts of the matter is just astonishing.

You’re rewriting history as it happens DC. Arlene n co are in for the very worst rude awakening and anyone who agrees with them also.
    It’s effing bizarre that in such a crisis and the UK spinning wildly and cluelessly from one position to another to another to another on how to deal with this, that leaders so called up there are STILL so delusional and clinging on to their british cosplay fantasies

People. Are. Going. To. Die.

And it’s down to the utter sh!tshow mismanagement and arlenes determination to do whatever downing st is doing

Downing st has no effin idea what it’s doing. None. Where is boris?
    Faking having covid to avoid scrutiny. He’s got his wish to be Pm and is utterly incapable of leading never even mind handling this crisis

The UK is in freefall.

But don’t let that stop you making this a green v orange thing. Carry on.
    You’re all in for a massive awful rude awakening

• Advertisement

The absolute refusal to not only see but even acknowledge the very effing obvious facts of the matter is just astonishing.

You’re rewriting history as it happens DC. Arlene n co are in for the very worst rude awakening and anyone who agrees with them also.
    It’s effing bizarre that in such a crisis and the UK spinning wildly and cluelessly from one position to another to another to another on how to deal with this, that leaders so called up there are STILL so delusional and clinging on to their british cosplay fantasies

And it’s down to the utter sh!tshow mismanagement and arlenes determination to do whatever downing st is doing

Faking having covid to avoid scrutiny. He’s got his wish to be Pm and is utterly incapable of leading never even mind handling this crisis

The UK is in freefall.

I had to go looking for this story as it didn't make the news here at all as far as I can see.

Seems Jim Allister is having a bit of a strop about an administrative error that is getting sorted wit help from us in Dublin and the UK.

Other than that, NI is getting ready to pay the price for not locking down sooner and some laggardly implementation of controls.

10-15 years
    I had to go looking for this story as it didn't make the news here at all as far as I can see.

Seems Jim Allister is having a bit of a strop about an administrative error that is getting sorted with help from us in Dublin and the UK.

Other than that, NI is getting ready to pay the price for not locking down sooner and some laggardly implementation of controls.

It’s all over the news.

DC won’t like this but stormont and it’s inhabitants are in meltdown because the health minister up there told them that the Irish government would be supplying NI with all the PPE.

Irish government are like ‘thats news to us’

The health minister up there Either lied? Or is grossly incompetent.
    And then the next question.

Why wasn’t all the gear coming from the UK???

They haven’t gotten to that yet and they won’t cos aaaaawkward

The UK is in freefall.

That post is just bursting with blinkered prejudice. I wouldn’t know where to start.

You are so out of touch. The clear big stories up here are firstly satisfaction at how uk has treated us with furlough (I hear you guys have followed that one - is that right)
    And total anger at sf behaviour over the last week and their hiding from the media.

I don’t detect much of an orange green slip on these issues.

We are of course all anticipating the fallout from Dublin opening its doors to thousands of Italians at the worst possible time. The ripple is no doubt going to be felt in ni

Guys you need to stop the points scoring on this one and deal with the realities. I am so glad we have the night of the uk behind us and all united on same course as the EU is all over the place with various policies and no time to help each other.
    I actually would be very supportive of uk helping ROI at this time

It’s all over the news.

DC won’t like this but stormont and it’s inhabitants are in meltdown because the health minister up there told them that the Irish government would be supplying NI with all the PPE.

Irish government are like ‘thats news to us’

The health minister up there Either lied? Or is grossly incompetent.
    And then the next question.

Why wasn’t all the gear coming from the UK???

They haven’t gotten to that yet and they won’t cos aaaaawkward
    Are you intentionally missing what’s happening here. Our finance minister sf promised health care workers that he personally had joined roi on a massive ppe order from China He received huge plaudits for it. But unfortunately it never existed.

Here from your favourite nationalist paper
    http://www.irishnews.com/coronavirus/2020/04/04/news/conor-murphy-confirms-ppe-order-with-irish-government-has-fallen-through-1890407/

That post is just bursting with blinkered prejudice. I wouldn’t know where to start.

You are so out of touch. The clear big stories up here are firstly satisfaction at how uk has treated us with furlough (I hear you guys have followed that one - is that right)
    And total anger at sf behaviour over the last week and their hiding from the media.

I don’t detect much of an orange green slip on these issues.

We are of course all anticipating the fallout from Dublin opening its doors to thousands of Italians at the worst possible time. The ripple is no doubt going to be felt in ni

Guys you need to stop the points scoring on this one and deal with the realities. I am so glad we have the night of the uk behind us and all united on same course as the EU is all over the place with various policies and no time to help each other.
    I actually would be very supportive of uk helping ROI at this time

downcow...you really need to stop and stop now.

Look at the reality here, never mind how we are doing, never mind trying to protect administrations.
    Look at this graph, it will tell you the seriousness of what is coming.
    Pressure your MLA's and MP's to use the 'island' as a shield here for the sake of loved ones and REAL people.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fa09e6d7e-75eb-11ea-95fe-fcd274e920ca?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=700

Are you intentionally missing what’s happening here. Our finance minister sf promised health care workers that he personally had joined roi on a massive ppe order from China He received huge plaudits for it. But unfortunately it never existed.

Here from your favourite nationalist paper
    http://www.irishnews.com/coronavirus/2020/04/04/news/conor-murphy-confirms-ppe-order-with-irish-government-has-fallen-through-1890407/

downcow, countries are stealing other countries orders of this stuff they are that desperate.

Grow up for the sake of your loved ones. The virus won't care what you are doing on the 12th or what fleg you salute.

downcow, countries are stealing other countries orders of this stuff they are that desperate.

Grow up for the sake of your loved ones. The virus won't care what you are doing on the 12th or what fleg you salute.

Why are you so convinced roi has got it just right?
    Why is this just the correct amount of lockdown?
    Many countries have locked down more and many less. But roi are just right lol.

You need to drop the politics and Irish nationalism and realise that we ALL have a threat at our door.
    Stop worrying about us in the uk. You need to deal with the realities and focus on your own wee country. Remember your first positive case was a month after ours.
    Let’s hope we all get through this as unscathed as possible.
    I genuinely wish roi and indeed the world as a whole well.
    Maybe next time this happens world powers will have a united world strategy of sorts in place. Because it is coming again.
    I don’t know who has got it right. As I said weeks ago it will be five years down the line before we know who got it right.

I think you are missing the belief that everyone will be exposed to this eventually. So number of short term deaths are not the key. The key is trying not to get hospitals overwhelmed as that is when extra unnecessary people die.

I think uk is doing a reasonable job at hospital prep. Haven’t followed roi on this so don’t know. Ni has now over 2,000 empty critical care beds awaiting the surge. And more beds growing every day.

You laugh at herd immunity but it is really important for wave 2, 3, 4, etc

Why are you so convinced roi has got it just right?
    Why is this just the correct amount of lockdown?
    Many countries have locked down more and many less. But roi are just right lol.

You need to drop the politics and Irish nationalism and realise that we ALL have a threat at our door.
    Stop worrying about us in the uk. You need to deal with the realities and focus on your own wee country. Remember your first positive case was a month after ours.
    Let’s hope we all get through this as unscathed as possible.
    I genuinely wish roi and indeed the world as a whole well.
    Maybe next time this happens world powers will have a united world strategy of sorts in place. Because it is coming again.
    I don’t know who has got it right. As I said weeks ago it will be five years down the line before we know who got it right.

I think you are missing the belief that everyone will be exposed to this eventually. So number of short term deaths are not the key. The key is trying not to get hospitals overwhelmed as that is when extra unnecessary people die.

I think uk is doing a reasonable job at hospital prep. Haven’t followed roi on this so don’t know. Ni has now over 2,000 empty critical care beds awaiting the surge. And more beds growing every day.

You laugh at herd immunity but it is really important for wave 2, 3, 4, etc

This is not a drill or a competition downcow. It's the real thing.

Locking down as an island was the sensible thing to do...you guys decided to go with the Tory's.
    The Tory's who think there is a British version of this virus that behaves differently and only requires 7 days isolation for instance.

Nobody is saying our way is the right way, we made mistakes too (but at least some of us realise that)...but our curve is starting to flatten...yours is now in a straight up trajectory.

That's the reality. No competing...just the real facts as they stand.

10-15 years
    And it’s putting everyone on this island at serious risk. North and south.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s arlenes goal to force us to close the border.

It won’t happen but I wouldn’t put it past her either

• Advertisement

It's no accident sadly that Boris's and Trump's graphs are on the same trajectory.

Tragically unlucky for the UK and the US.

10-15 years
    Both these guys know what they’re talking about DC

https://twitter.com/gabrielscally/status/1246366006106341376?s=21

Runaway. You have an appropriate name as you really have lost the run of yourself.
    In your last few posts you have said that Boris does not have Covid rather it’s a pretence and you are suggesting Arlene wants Covid to take off in ni to get the border closed.
    You need to sit down and have a long think about how bigotry, prejudice and sectarianism has taken over your thinking.

10-15 years
    Runaway. You have an appropriate name as you really have lost the run of yourself.
    In your last few posts you have said that Boris does not have Covid rather it’s a pretence and you are suggesting Arlene wants Covid to take off in ni to get the border closed.
    You need to sit down and have a long think about how bigotry, prejudice and sectarianism has taken over your thinking.

Athnían ciarróg ciarróg eile.
    Look it up.
    Tbh downcow I genuinely do not give a flying flamingo if you decide to follow British advice. Cos you’ve been soooooooooo right about everything else like the huge success of Brexit for example and it’s worked out really well for you so to date. Ha.
    But it’s an incredibly stupid position that’s already seeing thousands die needlessly and your here still banging on about green and orange.

You’re deluded and in a bubble. It’s about to burst and hurt all of us. id get ready.

Arhnían ciarróg ciarróg eile.
    Look it up.
    Tbh downcow I genuinely do not give a flying flamingo if you decide to follow British advice. Cos you’ve been soooooooooo right about everything else like the huge success of Brexit for example and it’s worked out really well for you so to date. Ha.
    But it’s an incredibly stupid position that’s already seeing thousands die needlessly and your here still banging on about green and orange.

You’re deluded and in a bubble. It’s about to burst and hurt all of us. id get ready.
    i hear no one doing green and orange on this issue except you, Francie, And sf. And even sf have now wised up. That just leaves you and Francie banging on

This is far to big for your petty politics

i hear no one doing green and orange on this issue except you, Francie, And sf. And even sf have now wised up. That just leaves you and Francie banging on

This is far to big for your petty politics

You came on today to have a big Orange strop about the Green downcow, about something that is already fading from the news.

Your death toll is now up to Italian levels and has no sign of reaching a peak. You might want to pay attention to that. That is not SF's fault.

10-15 years
    Screw green and orange.

Well all be wearing black soon enough.

Maybe that’ll focus some minds. I mean if that’s what this is going to take. It’s coming either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Screw green and orange.

Well all be wearing black soon enough.

Maybe that’ll focus some minds. I mean if that’s what this is going to take. It’s coming either way.

Green, Orange, British, Irish, Protestant or Catholic, this virus will cause death to some people & serious damage to others.

Open border, closed border doesn't matter, as flights & sailings will continue to transport people from this island to Britain & beyond & back again in a daily basis ....

10-15 years
    Green, Orange, British, Irish, Protestant or Catholic, this virus will cause death to some people & serious damage to others.

Open border, closed border doesn't matter, as flights & sailings will continue to transport people from this island to Britain & beyond & back again in a daily basis ....

I’m well aware. It’s not a competition but Britain is already on a worse trajectory than Italy.

And we have posters here still saying they’re taking the correct approach.

It’s that level of delusional dysfunction in unionists and their obsession with being british that they’re blinded to cold hard facts. Even at the expense of thousands of lives.
    It’s appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I’m well aware. It’s not a competition but Britain is already on a worse trajectory than Italy.

And we have posters here still saying they’re taking the correct approach.

It’s that level of delusional dysfunction in unionists and their obsession with being british that they’re blinded to cold hard facts. Even at the expense of thousands of lives.
    It’s appalling.

From their perspective, they are a region within the United Kingdom, so they try to take the same approach, and the same medical advice as other parts of "delusional dysfunctional" UK.
    Scotland would be in the same basket as would Yorkshire, Wales, the Midlands & the West Country. London has its own trajectory being such a massive metropolis.

But I also understand there are close ties & conversations between Belfast & Dublin re this Covid crisis, lots if cooperation & exchange of ideas & equipment (where possible)?

Every country is trying to stop this virus and nobody wants to sacrifice thousands of lives 'as you put it'.

Flatten the curve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement