Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax reporting and CGT

Options
  • 27-03-2020 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My company has awarded me a number of shares (RSU's) and I am getting very confused on what I need to do. Would appreciate some advice please.

As I understand it, it work as follows. Lets assume I was awarded 1000 shares.
    • Upon vesting the shares are valued at €100
    • Tax is paid (sell to cover) at the marginal rate of 52%, leaving me with 480 shares
    • This is done by my employer, shows up on my payslip and there is noting further I need to do

Sometime later I decide to sell my shares, the shares are now worth €110.
    • I sell the shares and make €52800
    • That is a capital gain of €4800
    • I must pay €1584 in CGT (33%)

Now the bit where I get confused ...
    Can I pay this easily online ?
    My shares will actually vest every 3 months, can I pay CGT every time I sell or do I need to do it in one lump sum at the end of the year ?
    Do I need to document each time I pay CGT and then report it in October under 1 filing or file each time I make a payment? Can I do that online ?
    Do I need an Tax adviser ?:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Gaz wrote: »
    Hi all,

My company has awarded me a number of shares (RSU's) and I am getting very confused on what I need to do. Would appreciate some advice please.

As I understand it, it work as follows. Lets assume I was awarded 1000 shares.
    • Upon vesting the shares are valued at €100
    • Tax is paid (sell to cover) at the marginal rate of 52%, leaving me with €48000
    • This is done by my employer, shows up on my payslip and there is noting further I need to do

Sometime later I decide to sell my shares, the shares are now worth €110.
    • I sell the shares and make €52800
    • That is a capital gain of €4800
    • I must pay €1584 in CGT (33%)

Now the bit where I get confused ...
    Can I pay this easily online ?
    My shares will actually vest every 3 months, can I pay CGT every time I sell or do I need to do it in one lump sum at the end of the year ?
    Do I need to document each time I pay CGT and then report it in October under 1 filing or file each time I make a payment? Can I do that online ?
    Do I need an Tax adviser ?:confused:

Thanks

Yes, and a calculator too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yes, and a calculator too.

Really helpful, thanks. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Info is all here.

Advertisement