Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on EU Import

Options
  • 23-02-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Quick query. It's my first time using Indiegogo and something I backed worth about €550 will be sent from Germany in the next few weeks. It says on the product page:

"VAT and GST not included in perk pre-order price and will be determined by country on delivery. Backers are responsible for these costs (VAT, GST, duties, taxes, etc) on delivery."

Obiously it won't be liable for customs duty as it's coming from an EU country, but it will be for VAT.

I'm just wondering if there any ways around avoiding this? i.e. using parcel motel or the likes? And is everything really checked entering the country or do things slip through? Would it more more non EU countries that customs would be monitoring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

You will be charged on the VAT regardless of who actually couriers the package. Indiegogo or whoever the supplier will charge you the appropriate VAT rate when you purchase the goods. They are obligated to account for the VAT if the sale is not for business purposes.

Advertisement