Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

LizT wrote: »
    Marks and Spencer’s have 20% off some beauty and skincare and then a further discount when you use the code YESPLEASE. I just stocked up on some REN and pixi stuff.

Me too - I got REN Evercalm moisturiser & serum and hot cloth cleanser for €61 :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got Chanel Baume Essentiel in Gatwick Airport, I've been after it for a while but it's frequently sold out. It's amazing! A highlighter of sorts, but no shimmer. It's almost like using vaseline or something to create a glossy glow, but it doesn't dry down. It's extremely subtle but just makes you look so fresh and glowy. Loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I got the Sculpted Second Skin dewy foundation and I love it. Really really love it. My skin feels and looks so good wearing it, and I have had a lot of compliments on my make up from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Bought a load of La roche pose products recently, id wanted to get some products for sensitive skin for awhile, a few of the products I bought really stood out for me.

Toleriane ultra nuit intense soothing care. - This night cream is really good, has a really nice texture and is very moisturising, its the first night cream ive used that genuinely made a noticable difference in my skin the next morning. My skin was very smooth - I only had to put on my spf, didnt need to moisturise, I really appreciate being able to skip a skincare/makeup step and save 2 or 3 valuable minutes in the morning.
    It also left my skin looking really clear. I have dry sensitive skin that is very red and uneven toned. My skin tone was smooth, even and neutral this morning, I spent less time on my makeup as a result, I really slept it this morning, got out of bed at 7.40 and was dressed with makeup finished before 8 o'clock. This never happens, I had my makeup on in 5 minutes, only needed to put on a small bit of concealer.
    By lunch time my skin is usually red, dry, itchy and blotchy, it looked fine, the makeup had come off in parts as it usually does but my skin wasnt red or irritated. Id definitly buy this again, I think its made it's way into my regular skin care routine.

Pigmentclar eyes corrector. Anti dark circle brightening care - This is practically a tinted moisturiser with a nuetral/slightly yellow undertone. Its very subtle but does brighten up my dark circles, it's similar to touche eclat but not as drying and not as thick and I think Touche clat is too pink toned and makes my under eye lines look worse.
    I thought this product gave a really nice subtle glow and didnt sit in my lines or highlight them. It gave a really natural look which is exactly what I want. Id buy this again if I had extra money and wanted to treat myself but could go without.

Innovation. Tolerine anti discomfort caring wash - This is nice, if you have sensitive skin that gets very tight and dry from cleansers and face washes, this one doesnt have that effect. My skin felt normal after my shower, like if I hadnt washed it or put anything on it. For the price though, not sure id bother buying it again.

Lastly I bought Retinol B3 serum - I had been using the ordinary retinol, maybe I wasnt using it long enough to see results but long enough to feel like I was wasting my time.
    I am also skeptical of anti aging products and I kind of feel like the skincare companies are selling us products that give us wrinkles so we'll buy more products - I know how ridiculous that sounds but I only started getting lines on my face when I started using anti aging skin care so I dunno, maybe theres something in it?!
    That said, I still believe that retinol helps with wrinkles, so im conflicted. Due to this confliction I bought the expensive retinol but im only using it on one of my hands for a short time before I start using it on my face. This is partly due to my suspicion of anti aging products but mostly due to my own skin sensitivity. If the skin on my hand reacts, its not touching my face. I will update if I see any positive or negative results on my hand testing. Just to add, I put spf 50 on both my hands each morning.

Finally, unrelated to La Roche Posay but a total winner for anyone with sensitive skin that cant withstand acid exfoliaters, CeraVe SA smoothing cleanser is amazing. It combines a low dose of Salicylic acid and hyaluronic acid and ceramides so it exfoliates but doesnt leave the skin dry or irritated. Ive noticed my milia has reduced a good bit, my skin is much brighter and the best part, my rosacea hasnt flared up once since I started using it. Salicylic acid can be very irritating to sensitive skin but weirdly, excellent at clearing up rosacea. This CeraVe cleanser removes the irritation as its especially suited for sensitive skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I got Boots Ingredients Bakuchiol Serum 30ml for €9.99 alternative to Retinol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

Recliner wrote: »
    Bought the sculpted by Aimee Connolly Beauty Base All in 1 moisturising primer.
    Very impressed, little goes a long way and leaves a lovely glow to bare skin. Also mixed it with my foundation and it left it lovely and dewy even after using loose powder.

Bought my second Aimee Connolly product today. The second skin dewy finish. I usually wear Bourjois Healthy mix but felt like a change. I msg'd her IG page asking for a shade match and got a reply in less than 5 mins! It's amazing, as with the primer, a little goes a long way and it literally makes pores disappear and it evened out my skin tone so well. Perfect colour match also. I'm well impressed.

Just picked up the CeraVe SA Cream, supposedly it's great for KP/"chicken skin". I eagerly await the results :)

It was discussed here a while ago but I finally purchases on Asos while I was getting other bits https://www.asos.com/cerave/cerave-sa-smoothing-moisturising-cream-pot-340g/prd/13482806?clr=&colourWayId=16544933&SearchQuery=cerave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Been using the Carter Beauty covert concealer the past couple of weeks.
    The shade range is very limited. I'm using the light shade Marshmallow and I find it a bit too light and sometimes need to go back over with my foundation brush to blend in. The formula is quite liquid, it's a bit difficult to judge how much you need to dispense form the dropper. I've often put too much on and spent ages trying to blend it in, it seems to take a while to dry down. It does have good staying power and coverage but I will not be repurchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Folks any pointers on where I can get the Bourjois Healthy mix foundation online ? Tried a few sites and sold out ... STRESSED !! If cant get any alternatives to it out there that you recommend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

whatever76 wrote: »
    Folks any pointers on where I can get the Bourjois Healthy mix foundation online ? Tried a few sites and sold out ... STRESSED !! If cant get any alternatives to it out there that you recommend ?

Doireann Garrihy was just talking about it yesterday. She said people have told her Rimmel do a similar one. I use the L’oreal true match I think its great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

I've bought the Aimee Connolly Second Skin in Dewy finish instead of the healthy mix. I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Syndic

The Rimmel wake me up is very similar. It'd be a slightly dewier finish than the healthy mix but very comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

thanks all for recommendation .. will shop about and see how I go !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Got the new Nars Afterglow pallet yesterday, the colours look absolutely lush. €55 is pretty reasonable too I think. I was between the Nars one and the Charlotte Tilbury Pillowtalk pallet but I just couldn't justify spending €70.
    Can't wait to use it at the weekend, I'll report back. This is my first Nars eye pallet so I'm very excited to give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've been using the Drunk Elephant Slaai Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser the last few weeks, and its just a dream. I'm obsessed with it!
    It literally melts onto your face, its so nourishing and there has been a huge improvement in texture/redness since I started using it. My skin is also nowhere near as dry as it was.
    It also comes with a little mini exfoliator to add to the butter forn a deeper clean. Its around €30 which is very reasonable considering the size of the tub and the quality of the ingredients.
    Its worth every cent and I'll definitely be repurchasing.

I got it on a recommendation from a friend, who warned me not to order it when I was broke because she knew I'd want to try the rest of the range too...Well she wasn't wrong :pac: I have the mini versions of the retinol and the glycolic acid on order now and I can't wait to try them.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Been using the Carter Beauty covert concealer the past couple of weeks.
    The shade range is very limited. I'm using the light shade Marshmallow and I find it a bit too light and sometimes need to go back over with my foundation brush to blend in. The formula is quite liquid, it's a bit difficult to judge how much you need to dispense form the dropper. I've often put too much on and spent ages trying to blend it in, it seems to take a while to dry down. It does have good staying power and coverage but I will not be repurchasing.

An update on the Carter Beauty concealer - it's been binned. The lid of the bottle cracked and it being so liquid went all over my makeup bag. Some amount of cleaning involved! Will not be repurchasing, not worth the fiver or whatever I paid for it, it was too difficult to work with.

An update on the Carter Beauty concealer - it's been binned. The lid of the bottle cracked and it being so liquid went all over my makeup bag. Some amount of cleaning involved! Will not be repurchasing, not worth the fiver or whatever I paid for it, it was too difficult to work with.

I HATE when that happens, lots of perfectly good make up at minimum ruined aesthetically :/ I was musing over buying that the the weekend and am glad I didnt as it sounds a bit delicate and I cant be trusted with such things!

JustMe,K wrote: »
    I HATE when that happens, lots of perfectly good make up at minimum ruined aesthetically :/ I was musing over buying that the the weekend and am glad I didnt as it sounds a bit delicate and I cant be trusted with such things!

I closed the lid too tight (cos I didn't want it to leak :rolleyes:) and it cracked the plastic and the product seeped out as it was just thrown into my makeup bag.

I closed the lid too tight (cos I didn't want it to leak :rolleyes:) and it cracked the plastic and the product seeped out as it was just thrown into my makeup bag.

Literally the exact thing I would do!

The exact same thing happened to me, and I had to bin it. I bought mine well over a year ago so seems like no improvements were made in packaging since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I've been using the Drunk Elephant Slaai Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser the last few weeks, and its just a dream. I'm obsessed with it!
    It literally melts onto your face, its so nourishing and there has been a huge improvement in texture/redness since I started using it. My skin is also nowhere near as dry as it was.
    It also comes with a little mini exfoliator to add to the butter forn a deeper clean. Its around €30 which is very reasonable considering the size of the tub and the quality of the ingredients.
    Its worth every cent and I'll definitely be repurchasing.

I got it on a recommendation from a friend, who warned me not to order it when I was broke because she knew I'd want to try the rest of the range too...Well she wasn't wrong :pac: I have the mini versions of the retinol and the glycolic acid on order now and I can't wait to try them.

I’ve been trying to switch to cruelty free products lately. When googling I found Drunk Elephant. And I love them so much. I’m currently using products from the littles collection. I’m mix n matching a bit as I can’t decide what I love best. The protini moisturizer is fab and I mix it the serum with a bit of eye cream.
    The lala cream is heavier and I use it every second night maybe
    I don’t wear make up every day but when I go I use The jelly face wash and it’s excellent. On non makeup days I use Dr Goldfaden md face wash and I love what it’s done for my skin. My skin is much less reactive and less tight feeling and now that I’m using the DE products I love my skin. My next purchase will be the slaii butter cleanser and I can’t wait.... I agree with your friend though, it’s an expensive habit :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm on the hunt for a new foundation and stopped by the MAC counter in Arnotts today.

The lady I was dealing with was fantastic, tested three shades on my skin and the third was perfect.

I ended up buying the waterweight foundation in shade NW13 and a concealer.

Going to see how much I llike them and if it goes well I'm booking in for a makeup lesson.

My Oh was amazed at the difference it made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Picked up some Beauty Pie bits in TK Maxx last night (5.99ea)- they have a ton of new beauty stuff in at the moment!

Some nice Laura Mercier bits, Kevyn Aucoin (for darker skin shades) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I picked up a Kevyn Aucoin eye and face palette in TK Maxx (Galway store) a couple of days ago (there was one left after I got mine).
    https://kevynaucoinbeauty.com/products/jewelpop-face-and-eye-palette
    €15.99, value €55 according to the tag!
    The texture of the shadows is fabulous - quite "buttery" as some of the influencers are fond of saying, with excellent pigmentation and colour payoff and good staying power. A little fallout, in fairness, when applied with a brush but that's easy enough to work around.
    Unusually for an eye palette, I'll use all the shades. I have blue eyes and the colours all complement them nicely.
    Looking forward to trying the shadows wet too.
    I won't use the contour powder for its intended purpose but it's a nice neutral matte that I'd use as an everyday eyeshadow.
    The blush and highlighter are gorgeous.

Treated myself to the Sol De Janerio Brazilian Bum Bum cream as there was a 40% discount. I bought it just because ive seen reviews for years about this cream and how good it smells, I love anything that smells nice. When it arrived and I opened it first I was a bit disappointing, the smell was nice but very faint and not worth the money imo - even with the discount.
    I threw a bit on my arms and hands, thought it smelled a little bit like popcorn on my skin. Anyway, left to go do my shopping, the scent changed becoming quite sweet and fruity but in a really nice way, it's a grown up scent and wasnt too strong but anytime I lifted my arm I got a whiff of it and it was so nice. I could still smell it on myself the next morning. I absolutely love it, its like a subtle perfumed body cream thats not too heavy, perfect for Summer as I hate wearing heavy perfumes this time of year, especially if its warm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

Treated myself to the Sol De Janerio Brazilian Bum Bum cream as there was a 40% discount.

Where did you purchase? I have always loved this but obviously not purchasing continuously due to price but I love the smell!!

fed_u wrote: »
    Where did you purchase? I have always loved this but obviously not purchasing continuously due to price but I love the smell!!

I bought it online from Brown thomas, not sure if it's still on sale, I bought it over the Easter weekend. I think id purchase it full price, I actually really like it. Im fighting the urge to not put some of it on, im not going anywhere today and dont want to waste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I went a bit mad last week and ordered a shed load of skincare, and spent an absolute fortune in the process. But I justified it by the fact that I’m not spending any money on my hair and I haven’t been clothes shopping at all lately, so I decided to treat myself. I bought Augustinius Bader The Rich Cream, disgracefully expensive but I’ve been wanting it for ages and did a tonne of research on it and so far I’m absolutely loving it. It’s a thick consistency but absorbs like a dream. I use it mainly in the night and my skin is amazingly soft the next morning. My make up just glided on this morning.

I also bought Murad Revitalixer Recovery serum and Caudalie cleaning oil. Murad is a brand I absolutely adore. I’ve tried Image and have never been impressed with results but with Murad I’m consistently impressed and my skin has never looked better. The Caudalie cleansing oil is great for removing all make up like you literally just smather your fully made up face in the stuff and it removes the lot. No annoying tight feeling after either

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I also bought Murad Revitalixer Recovery serum and Caudalie cleaning oil. Murad is a brand I absolutely adore. I’ve tried Image and have never been impressed with results but with Murad I’m consistently impressed and my skin has never looked better.

Interesting, I was just about to buy some Image because everyone online seems to rave about it. Never tried even a sample so would be super disappointed if it turned out middlin. I’ll read up on some of those brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well now I know some people who adore it and it works really well for my sister. I just prefer Murad personally, I get better results. I’ve never been tempted to repurchase any Image product but with Murad I’m like I’ll cry when this runs out.

Advertisement