Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's air traffic in Virtual Reality

Options
  • 13-10-2019 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All.
    I made a college project that shows Ireland's real time air traffic in 3D/WebVR, It works on every browser bar Internet Explorer and Edge. It works best in VR if you have a headset. To navigate use WASD keys and the mouse or the thumbstick in VR. Let me know what you think?

https://sky3d.cf/demo/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Very interesting. It gives a completely new view of things.

What do the different colours mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CorkRebell

The colours represent altitude on a rainbow spectrum. It's to show altitude as a visual cue without having to look at a text description.

Red (low altitude) - Blue (high altitude) 0-12000 metres

Cylinder 4km Horizontal / 300m Vertical separation
    Cone height and Radius Relative to speed
    Text Overlay values Red (port turn) Green (starboard turn)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Really cool. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Very interesting view.

Can I ask, why use metres rather than feet?
    And why 4km cylinders?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SaltyJohn

That's very cool! It would be nice if the smaller airports were marked in - Knock & Kerry at least. For example I can see a plane on the ground at Knock but no airport is marked in. Lots of potential for future development here though, keep at it if you have the time!

• Advertisement

The data source provides altitude in metres. It could be converted to feet but I left it at metres. Separation rules vary by flight level but I wanted to show a fixed value of 4km radius that would serve as a visual cue. For aircraft in the distance the cylinder is more visible than the aircraft model so it should help the viewer gauge how far away an aircraft is.

Looks good well done.

Vertical in feet and lateral in nautical miles if possible. rate of change should be in feet per minute as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

CorkRebell wrote: »
    The data source provides altitude in metres. It could be converted to feet but I left it at metres. Separation rules vary by flight level but I wanted to show a fixed value of 4km radius that would serve as a visual cue. For aircraft in the distance the cylinder is more visible than the aircraft model so it should help the viewer gauge how far away an aircraft is.

If you continue to work on it, I think converting them would make sense as that’s what the aircraft are using.

Smallest radar separation in Irish airspace is 3 nautical miles (~5.5km) in the Dublin CTA, so that could be a figure to use if you’re trying to depict separation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Not working on Firefox, all I get is a blank white screen.

Psychlops wrote: »

Check if you have any browser plugins like noscript enabled in firefox. The site runs on Javascript so that needs to be allowed for it to function. If that doesn't work try Chrome and let me know if you get a blank page on that also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Works fine for me on Chrome, great app, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Psychlops wrote: »

I'm using Firefox and it's working grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Comhra wrote: »
    I'm using Firefox and it's working grand.

Working fine in Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Using Chrome on Win 10. Older machine, so it's a bit slow.

WASD not working.

Can one reverse mouse?

You could use https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/53.3596/-6.2852 for background mapping - you can limit the amount of things shown so as to manage data volume.

A few radio buttons to change settings might be useful.

Sky should be black after dark, it's still showing the sun.

Where's the 'Fire' button? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

CorkRebell wrote: »
    Hi All.
    I made a college project that shows Ireland's real time air traffic in 3D/WebVR, It works on every browser bar Internet Explorer and Edge. It works best in VR if you have a headset. To navigate use WASD keys and the mouse or the thumbstick in VR. Let me know what you think?

https://sky3d.cf/demo/

You're bringing a tear to my eye! About 30 years ago I was starting a masters in CS. Being both a Computer Graphics and Aviation nerd I had an idea about building a 3D ATC system being fed from radar data. You've basically built what I had in mind. It's fantastic. Well done.

(My supervisor actually had an Aeronautical engineering degree, so there were two CG/Aviation nerds in it. Unfortunately 30 years ago it would have taken a bit more budget and manpower to pull off something like that, and the ATC lads in Cork reckoned it was a solution without a problem, even if it could have been done).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Is there an ability to change viewpoint altitude?

Popoutman wrote: »
    Is there an ability to change viewpoint altitude?

Yes and no. I can enable movement on the vertical or Y axis and this does look better however it causes problems with navigation. I use a 2D navigation mesh to restrict viewer movement to within the boundary of the map. If I enable 3D movement the mesh no longer works meaning the viewer can move to infinity in all directions which breaks the immersion if they move too far. I need to write some custom code to support a 3D navigation mesh but haven't got around to it yet unfortunately.

Advertisement