Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric motorbikes

Options
  • 08-10-2019 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Seen a few on holidays that seemed to be able to keep up with traffic. Are there any/many here??... had bikes years back but nothing bigger than a 125 and never did a test and see it’s all changed now so I’d be restricted to the lower BHP anyway. (KW now I’m guessing)
    Probably a pipe dream but if I got one we could get rid of a car at home so worth ruling it out first!!
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Bikeworld have the SuperSoco TC which I was trying to get when I got my bike. Its basically a 125cc with a half decent range. Looks pretty cool too

Thanks... what kind of money are these retailing at???

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is it not all about the sound and the smell?

Game over when this junk takes over

Is it not all about the sound and the smell?

Used to be for me ~25 years ago, now it’s about getting about as efficiently as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would love one. But they're mad money .

The Harley looks class. But again mad money.

Take one in a heartbeat tomorrow for free :)

listermint wrote: »

Well if they’re mad money they’re not for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

martyc5674 wrote: »

conventionalbikes are much cheaper.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I'd love a Livewire - perfect for my commute.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    conventionalbikes are much cheaper.

Don’t want a petrol yoke tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Zero are the only real game in town with a proven track record, Livewire might get big but all indications are that its very expensive for what it is.
    There is a new Long Way coming with the Livewire featuring prominently as they travel up from Ushuia to LA but they neglect to mention the fleet of support vehicles and generating capacity that allows them to continue with the 100mi range of the Livewire.
    It would be a very long film if they had to rely on South American charging facilities all the way to LA. which is 6000 odd miles.
    Someone on here has a new Zero, they had a pic not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Grumpy bike wizard got one a while back, he could fill you in on what they're like and where he got it etc. He had a few posts and a review video on here a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Just to put it into perspective, the Livewire is the same price as a Street Glide Special here. The SGS has a 114cu (1868cc) engine and takes good auld fashioned dino juice.

I know what I'd spend my money on even for commuting.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Zero are the only real game in town with a proven track record, Livewire might get big but all indications are that its very expensive for what it is.
    There is a new Long Way coming with the Livewire featuring prominently as they travel up from Ushuia to LA but they neglect to mention the fleet of support vehicles and generating capacity that allows them to continue with the 100mi range of the Livewire.
    It would be a very long film if they had to rely on South American charging facilities all the way to LA. which is 6000 odd miles.
    Someone on here has a new Zero, they had a pic not too long ago.

The show should at least kick of interest and discussion on them.

It's a fine looking machine by all accounts the best looking electric out there. No offence to zero

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just to put it into perspective, the Livewire is the same price as a Street Glide Special here. The SGS has a 114cu (1868cc) engine and takes good auld fashioned dino juice.

I know what I'd spend my money on even for commuting.

The live wire ? Because it's faster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The live wire ? Because it's faster

The SGS is plenty fast :D

maybe you can import one of these - €2,500 in the US new

https://electrek.co/2019/04/04/review-csc-city-slicker-electric-motorcycle/

top speed of only 74 kph but gets there quickly enough

DSC_0747-copy-e1554409324466.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Size wise would these be comparable to a grom ? Handy for nipping around the place at a portion of the price compared to the competition.

that US company is not a manufacturer so just imports from China.

bring your own one in

https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/electric-motorcycle.html

Good luck insuring that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I had a go on one of these electric scooters. While you have instant torque the lack of noise would be a no go for me.

I commute nearly every day approx 60 km roundtrip (Dublin area ) and the amount of gobsh!tes pulling out without looking is unreal. I was nearly wiped out at Kishogue college roundabout this morning.
    I have changed bikes recently and still have the original very quiet exhaust on it .Can't wait to get my aftermarket cans fitted this weekend. At least they can hear you if they're too blind to see my bright blue LED lights....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OP assuming you're over 24 you can ride any size bike, just apply for class A learner permit and do class A IBT.

Electric bikes should be competitive for shorter commutes within a few years but ATM are just way overpriced, and the fuel savings don't make up for it.

Lack of noise is a big issue.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Don’t want a petrol yoke tho...

...this is the bike section you know :) Petrol is where it's at. :)

....well, for now anyway.... :D

Ode To The Motorist

glasso wrote: »
    that US company is not a manufacturer so just imports from China.

bring your own one in

https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/electric-motorcycle.html

I'd love to see the EWVTA paperwork for that :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

GBX wrote: »
    Size wise would these be comparable to a grom ? Handy for nipping around the place at a portion of the price compared to the competition.

same size pretty much I think yes.

some Irish retailer might bring it in at some point possibly so EU certified etc etc

certainly a good urban option, particularly if you don't like the look of a scooter.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Around the 3-3.5k mark which is around the price for a decent 125cc. Tidy looking things, I wanted to get one but nobody in Ireland had one at the time. Reviews of it are pretty decent too.

http://www.supersoco.com/second-phase/en/details-tc-overview.php

they are only selling the scooter model it seems (on their site anyways)

https://www.bikeworld.ie/site/motorcycle/supersoco-cux/

at that's €3,750 so very much "Irish Prices"

that would make the TC model (the one that you want) at €5k or so here I would say going by UK comparisons

http://supersoco.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Franklin Motorcycles in Swords are dealers for Zero motorcycles and have a few demos in stock. Serious motorcycles with a serious turn of speed. You're probably talking north of €14k for one though. If I had a commute long enough to justify it I would probably get one though. Little to no maintenance other than tyres and brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

BMW offer an elec scooter. I've never seen one though.
    I was impressed by the Zero bikes at the NEC last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

BMW offer an elec scooter. I've never seen one though.
    I was impressed by the Zero bikes at the NEC last year.

This one .. https://www.joeduffy.ie/motorrad/new-bikes/bmw-c-evolution-electric-scooter/

BMW and Zero electric bikes @ €15k+ are not in the OP's budget range from his comment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

Commuting from wicklow town on a bike to Dublin 8. I like the idea of doing it on an powerful electric bike, but as previous posters said- the noise of the bike has saved me a few times. A quiet electric bike scares me.
    I'd need a foghorn on the thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

GBX wrote: »

Crikey - from €16k. But worth it for "joy all day long" I'm sure.

"The powerful, fully-electric drive quickly brings you to your destination and in so doing ensures sheer riding pleasure. And thanks to a range of up to 160 kilometres, your joy will last all day long."

Built in Germany at the same plant as the i3 I read.

Advertisement