Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery of parts from USA. Excise, AnPost charges?

Options
  • 07-10-2019 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

I can put-up with the VAT but will AnPost hit me with an extortionate admin/handling charge? (Hard to justify on a invoice of ~€70 )
    And what's the excise rate for moto parts?
    Thanks.
    Or I could gamble on a small jiffy bag escaping under the radar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I can put-up with the VAT but will AnPost hit me with an extortionate admin/handling charge? (Hard to justify on a invoice of ~€70 )
    And what's the excise rate for moto parts?
    Thanks.
    Or I could gamble on a small jiffy bag escaping under the radar.

Nothing escapes them when it comes to the states in my experience, never got nabbed for China though. I refuse to buy from the states now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The issue is prompt delivery so China isn't an option. And I have an account with the US supplier.
    Fowlers in Bristol is an option but they don't have stock of all parts.

No problem with VAT but if it's ~ 20€ admin and ~20% excise on top ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm looking at a seat for my bike, from the USA.

USD$ 423 in the States. (€347)
    Eur € 748 here.

That's a difference of nigh-on 100%. Would still be cheaper to get from US, no matter what the charges.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

According to An Post: A handling fee of 1% of (item value plus shipping charges) with a minimum charge of €10.
    They gave no info about excise charges and I quickly abandoned the search on revenue's site with search hits on 70page pdf files.

Well, the debit card is cast now. Time will tell.

Normally I'm an advocate of supporting my friendly local moto shop but I needed a parts listing for a grey import.
    As galwayTT says, prices in the US are remarkably cheaper and the stock levels for even obscure items are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

€16 VAT, €10 handling. Duty isnt levied below €150.

This assumes 70 includes shipping charges, VAT is applied to the total cost.

• Advertisement

Update:
    Value of package incl postage. $74.95.
    Charges levied: €20.03. (€10 handling. €10.03 VAT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'm looking at a seat for my bike, from the USA.

USD$ 423 in the States. (€347)
    Eur € 748 here.

That's a difference of nigh-on 100%. Would still be cheaper to get from US, no matter what the charges.

Sounds like a Corbin seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Got a part last month from the USA. $156 cost. COD at delivery of €70 for duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Yeah fo●k that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Got a part last month from the USA. $156 cost. COD at delivery of €70 for duty.

How much of the €70 was the processing fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Del2005 wrote: »
    How much of the €70 was the processing fee?

I didn't look too closely at it but I vaguely remember €10 as being for handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

Would signing up for addresspal be an option, it gives you a USA p.o.box so its free delivery to that, the addresspal delivers to your home address. Think that might help. Go to addresspal website for full details

Advertisement