Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea2Summit 2019

Options
  • 04-10-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hey guys, will be doing the Westport Sea2Summit Adventure Race in November. I’m doing the Spirit Category as it’s my first event like this. Just wondering about footwear particularly for the Croagh Patrick bit. Should I invest in a pair of trail runners or will my normal running shoes be enough?

Also it says about carrying a survival kit with you at all times during the race. Will I have to wear a backpack of some sort for this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

if you plan on doing more of these types of races then trail runners are a good investment, or if your going to use them in general training, or if your going to be at the front end of the race, they will make a difference, if not , then you dont NEED them, youl get on grand with ordinary runners, wear an old pair if you have them, more than likely theyl get fairly mucky

kit can go in the pockets of a cycling top, i presume its foil blanket, whistle, plasters, bandage, unless it has changed,

good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

woody1 wrote: »
    if you plan on doing more of these types of races then trail runners are a good investment, or if your going to use them in general training, or if your going to be at the front end of the race, they will make a difference, if not , then you dont NEED them, youl get on grand with ordinary runners, wear an old pair if you have them, more than likely theyl get fairly mucky

kit can go in the pockets of a cycling top, i presume its foil blanket, whistle, plasters, bandage, unless it has changed,

good luck with it

Thank you for your reply, I’ll stick with my normal runners so!

I have looked at pictures from previous Sea2summits and I noticed a lot of the competitors didn’t appear to have any kit, unless of course they are concealed in some pocket that I can’t even see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

it packs up fairly small, i have a kit left in a little ziploc bag in my gear bag, its folded up to about half an envelope kind of size , that being said there are a few that will go without it,
    my better half took a nasty toss off a bike in achill years ago, and she was very glad of the kit,
    i think it says you have to have a jacket ? a lot will leave that on the bike down at transition and throw it on them going up the mountain,

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

woody1 wrote: »
    it packs up fairly small, i have a kit left in a little ziploc bag in my gear bag, its folded up to about half an envelope kind of size , that being said there are a few that will go without it,
    my better half took a nasty toss off a bike in achill years ago, and she was very glad of the kit,
    i think it says you have to have a jacket ? a lot will leave that on the bike down at transition and throw it on them going up the mountain,

One other tip. If you are using cycling shoes, make sure to bring your runners with you on the bike leaving T1 !

You'll run the 4K out to the first transition and change into your cycling shoes (if using them). I know from personal experiece how easy it is to hop on the bike and get out to the foot of Croagh Patrick realising you have no runners to go up the mountain :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

https://www.regatta.ie/first-aid-kit/
    You might need to add a whistle and space blanket but that fits into the middle pocket of a cycling jersey easily...

I wouldnt bother with cycling shoes for the event as its extra baggage..
    Flat pedals and runners the gains are minimal in terms of performance IMO but up to yourself really.
    Changing shoes and tying laces etc can lead to muscle cramps during transitions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement