Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October Brexit

Options
  • 19-08-2019 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Lidl tells suppliers: you’ll pay for no‑deal Brexit,
    this may be hard on the UK farmers but the reality is the same will be applied to Irish suppliers into the UK, an average of 35% tariff on dairy and beef.
    It will hit hard if it happens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

this may be hard on the UK farmers but the reality is the same will be applied to Irish suppliers into the UK, an average of 35% tariff on dairy and beef.

IMO this is driving the price drop ; Processors need to go sub €3 per kg to remain viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

They have also told the British consumer that they will have to pay the price increase. They are putting the pressure out kn both sides, and could end up a right win win for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Reckon there will be an election and then extension. A no deal really would throw everything up in the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

IMO this is driving the price drop ; Processors need to go sub €3 per kg to remain viable.

€3 per kg isn't viable for the producer. ffs we need €4 per kg to have any chance. At 3 you'd be better of letting the place grow wild and just collect the payments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

€3 per kg isn't viable for the producer. ffs we need €4 per kg to have any chance. At 3 you'd be better of letting the place grow wild and just collect the payments

This seems to be govt policy , our Taoiseach is cutting down on beef ,this wasn't a slip of the tongue .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

This seems to be govt policy , our Taoiseach is cutting down on beef ,this wasn't a slip of the tongue .

Tis bizarre that Irish beef farmers have been led down a path where they have to compete with Brazil in a race for who can be most efficient (i.e. cheapest).

Official policy via Harvest2025, FoodWise2020, etc. set out this race to the bottom of increasing production at all costs - quality, bio-security, environment/climate, all went out the window.

And now Ireland with its 21m acres is being forced to play against Brazil's 260m acres.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Tis bizarre that Irish beef farmers have been led down a path where they have to compete with Brazil in a race for who can be most efficient (i.e. cheapest).

Official policy via Harvest2025, FoodWise2020, etc. set out this race to the bottom of increasing production at all costs - quality, bio-security, environment/climate, all went out the window.

And now Ireland with its 21m acres is being forced to play against Brazil's 260m acres.

Very true, these talks today in Backweston is really just moving the deck chairs on the Titanic

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Fantastic visionaries those lads, when they were drawing up the 2020 food harvest back in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I actually don't know why everybody s knickers in a twist?? According to an teagasc, the average profit/loss per acre for single suckler farming is -40euros and finishers at -20/acre before SFP. That was at 4euro/kg! Might as well sell up most of your stock until you're down to min stocking levels. You will be losing much less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

The tori's are full of imperialist hot air and have zero hope of coercing Europe into a favourable deal.
    Europe has no choice but to make an example of the UK to stop the next mutineer jumping ship.
    All flattery aside, Ireland is way down the list of priorities, ran by a Mod snip / clown coalition. Weak leaders, spread legged with tongue extended between both camps.
    Fingers crossed a re-vote in the UK in early to mid 2020 and a remain vote, there is no other feasible solution.
    Common sense would tell me Europe kinda expects this anyway but how common is common sense these days anyway.
    The big loser is the UK but then again if you spend countless years invading countries then who's gonna feel sorry for you if you are invaded incognito.
    I'm more of a gardener than a farmer but I'll be damned if after generations I'll be ousted by a shower of suited ****holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Their only hope is to oust Borris.

If he’s left in place he will absolutely drag them out. The initial actual cost and damage will be hidden with a series of financial measures to prop up their economy.

They will be able to cover up with quantitive easing or similar but in 3 years if their economy hasn’t kick started big trouble will hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If there is a Brexit the UK will suffer from either hyper inflation or have to take on a huge budget deficit. Sunday Times had the leaked Yellowhammer document last Sunday. it was worth a read. The UK needs a deal more than anyone else no matter what Boris says. it cannot survive a hard Brexit. If it Zero rates some imports (Beef and fuel) it wipes out these indigenous industries. Best case senario is that after 3-6 months of chaos it ports will operate at 80% of present capacity.

Slava Ukrainii

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Reckon there will be an election and then extension. A no deal really would throw everything up in the air

An election would cause Brexit by default. Unless it was held before Brexit date and pariliment managed to meet before it ) October 31st. Unlikely to be a way out. UK MP's must vote out Boris, set up a caretaker government, get a two year extension. Then a general elections and/or hold a series of referendum's to sort the mess. But these referendums need to spell out exactly to the British people what they are actually voting for.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

It shoul have been an open ended extension that time in Spring. Macron is to balme for this cliff edge as much as anyone. If it was open ended they the UK could flail about till the cows come home while remaining in the EU.

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    It shoul have been an open ended extension that time in Spring. Macron is to balme for this cliff edge as much as anyone. If it was open ended they the UK could flail about till the cows come home while remaining in the EU.

The UK only wanted an extension until June it was the EU that made them accept an October deadline not only that if they look for another extension it will have to be a two year extension. UK wanted rolling 8 week cliff edges

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

BIGT4464 wrote: »

The UK should have been shown the door back in March. There's nothing new from them over the Summer and I think they'll have a GE before the October deadline, and on we go with another extension.

Being seen as the adult in the room, by granting an extension, hasn't done much for the EU. What the EU should be focusing on is it's own issues. A rolling nonsense of Brexit just distracts from that. Brexit is a nationalistic project fermented by some wealthy individuals in the UK to make them wealthier again. The public have been suckered and are too proud/embarrassed to think they did something foolish.

Regardless of what happens the EU will be painted as the bad guys in the UK. The only way for that country to sort itself out is to be left to it's own devices in the big bad world. The Dems in the US will block any trade deals which harm the GFA. Besides which Trumps policy is USA first, middle & last so there's no room for Doreen in Newcastle in that space.

Out with them and leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When I listen to all this Brexit stuff, I'm reminded of what Joe Brolly said recently : "Stupid, confident people are taking over the world".

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

When I listen to all this Brexit stuff, I'm reminded of what Joe Brolly said recently : "Stupid, confident people are taking over the world".
    I've often observed that neck and guts, as traits, are inversely correlated. But the devent people with the guts have to keep the rubber necked grabbers in their place.
    These toxic people take over if the they are left, from the u6s to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was never a fan of Brolly but I like that one. Trump and Boris are all talk and no substance politicians but they got voted in as did Brexit. It makes you think about society as a whole. Dangerous times.

I don't think it will happen on Oct 31st because the PM has no plan, no alternative hands if he did pull the plug pain would be felt immediately by the British people. It be curtains then for Johnson.

I think he will bring the whole thing to the cliff edge though why? Because he can.

kk.man wrote: »
    Was never a fan of Brolly but I like that one. Trump and Boris are all talk and no substance politicians but they got voted in as did Brexit. It makes you think about society as a whole. Dangerous times.

I don't think it will happen on Oct 31st because the PM has no plan, no alternative hands if he did pull the plug pain would be felt immediately by the British people. It be curtains then for Johnson.

I think he will bring the whole thing to the cliff edge though why? Because he can.

I know what you mean about technology.
    We have more and more access to amazing technology that links us to information and knowledge like no other generation.

And yet the decisions being made are stupider and stupider year on year. I thought it was all at a peak with Brexit and Trump, but not to be outdone they put Borros in charge across the wee pond.

Hatred, ignorance and intolerance seem more and more to the front every time I see an article online like those poor Muslim girls being attacked in Dublin, that’s not the actions of a civilised population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

There has to be brexit. If not, the EU bashing will just continue. Let them know what it is to be led by the right wing media and populism and then let them have a new ref in 5 years time being alot wiser.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Bertrand Russell talks about effort and resignation in “The Conquest of Happiness” and I’m looking at Brexit in this light.

Make an effort to change what you can in your own little world and resign yourself to the fact that there’s a lot of easily-led people out there and plenty greedy b*stards who will always take advantage of them

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

There is some irony in the fact that the British begged to get into EU and we’re refused more than once.

To hear them you’d think they were forced to join up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

What did the British, Irish and European parliaments do before Brexit. What did the TV and radio news discuss before Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Boris has it all sorted, lads.

We leave the EU for a temporary union with the UK until a proper agreement can be organised.

Yeah, I can see that working alright...

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-wants-ireland-form-new-union-uk-after-brexit-2019-8?r=US&IR=T

Boris has it all sorted, lads.

We leave the EU for a temporary union with the UK until a proper agreement can be organised.

Yeah, I can see that working alright...

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-wants-ireland-form-new-union-uk-after-brexit-2019-8?r=US&IR=T

I fear for the world between him and Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Where will Britain get its imported food if they suddenly crash out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭older by the day

jntsnk wrote: »
    Where will Britain get its imported food if they suddenly crash out ?

America and Russia who thru Facebook posts fooled the English in to voting for it. There's a good documentaries on how a load of racist posts appeared on people's news feeds and disappeared the day after the vote. They are all out to break up the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kk.man wrote: »
    I fear for the world between him and Trump.

Japan seems a nice place to farm.

• Advertisement

Japan seems a nice place to farm.

They give a good price for livestock anyway!

Advertisement