Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fanore

Options
  • 11-08-2019 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

So im looking at blending a week away with fishing in clare and lisdoon :D

Looking at fanore, seems to be good spinning for pollock, good beaches for bass, and I want to do some fly fishing from the coast too.

Anyone any info on the area, where to head to, info on marks etc, pm if you prefer.

Ill be heading mid September.

All info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I had a couple of Pollack spinning along the rocks at fanore , no mackeral tho, there should all the way up along, although it can be dodgy in parts due to the rocks , that was about 3 weeks ago. It can be very busy up there, especially at the weekends so maybe early morning , mid week would be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Poster here called NrthClare gave me some excellent info on Fanore. Hopefully he sees this thread.

What kind of spinner did you catch the Pollack with? I was spinning for about 2 hours last week with multiple spinners and nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Poster here called NrthClare gave me some excellent info on Fanore. Hopefully he sees this thread.

What kind of spinner did you catch the Pollack with? I was spinning for about 2 hours last week with multiple spinners and nothing.

It was a weedless spro soft plastic lure, I bought them in the tackleshop in fanore , 5 each , you can fish them close to the bottom or kelp and they don't get snagged

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

The man in the tackle shop next door to the shop in Craggagh gives great local advice. Buy a bit of tackle off him probably best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Few places around doolin too down from the church and on the costal walk to the cliffs.

Would also recommend joe o loughlin in lisdoonvarna for tackle and advice

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Mid September is good for the fly fishing, I use bass flies which imitate sandeels.

Floating 9 weight line, and a 9ft leader is really good.

My favourite spot is ardkeen it's between Fanore and Lisdoonvarna along the coast road.

I fish the low rocks, from mid tide up and evening time is the best.

September is usually the start of the surf season so I head on upto Fanore and have the sea fly rod always handy...

Pollock up to 9lbs are not uncommon where I chuck the fluff, they hit it hard and dive quite deep...

If you want to be shown a few marks and try them out, send me a PM and I'll join you.
    I fish solo most of the time, but it would be good to share some info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

nthclare wrote: »
    Mid September is good for the fly fishing, I use bass flies which imitate sandeels.

Floating 9 weight line, and a 9ft leader is really good.

My favourite spot is ardkeen it's between Fanore and Lisdoonvarna along the coast road.

I fish the low rocks, from mid tide up and evening time is the best.

September is usually the start of the surf season so I head on upto Fanore and have the sea fly rod always handy...

Pollock up to 9lbs are not uncommon where I chuck the fluff, they hit it hard and dive quite deep...

If you want to be shown a few marks and try them out, send me a PM and I'll join you.
    I fish solo most of the time, but it would be good to share some info

Thanks bud really appreciate that - ill defo give you a shout!

Advertisement