Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to Christmas FM!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hey folks, I realise that this is an AMA, but Ronan is one of the station's DJs, not management, so to be giving him a hard time on station policy when it's outside his remit is pretty unfair. Maybe we could get back to the sort of questions where he is in a position to be able to answer. Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep ChristmasFM: Ronan

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    Ronan can you tell us how many people complained? I bet its less than five.....

I don't know the stats to be honest. We didn't compile a log. Like you said I doubt it was many as it wasn't played much to begin with.

You'd be amazed what people can find to complain about in life. Does Mariah Carey or Wham need to get their self worth from someone else's love and should we be teaching this to kids?...

Just read back over posts on this thread - Should Christmas exist if some people don't like it and it makes them feel bad? Is it right to raise any money for any charity?

People moan about things like not preferring the charities we've supported compared to a charity they would have chosen if they had the time to do any fund raising themselves; the songs we've played or not played; if a text didn't skip the queue and get read out straight away or a name that was pronounced wrong and they made a donation which they feel entitles them to airtime or a refund; a request for the Christmas Shoes Song that was or wasn't played; or because we didn't give them a show when they felt entitled to it despite not having enough experience. The list goes on and to be honest, none of them (like this issue) are big deals.

I think its lazy journalism. CNN had this story yesterday about an America Radio station and today, 24 hours later, Irish websites rehashed it and put our name in the cross fire having picked up we don't play it to try and make it click bait and relevant to the Ireland Market. Why us, because if you had to chose a place that plays Christmas music - we're the first to come to mind.

Honestly I'd love to get away from giving this fake news story more attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Any plans for fm coverage to be extended to the Mayo/Roscommon area of the country in the near future? It seems to be one of the last blindspots.

Any plans for fm coverage to be extended to the Mayo/Roscommon area of the country in the near future? It seems to be one of the last blindspots.

So we won't be adding more FM transmitters this season I'm afraid. We choose the transmitters based on broadcasting sites and equipment available, population density, volume of listeners in areas that we don't broadcast in (IP addresses listening online) and available funds from Corporate sponsors. Coca Cola, Cadburys and Dunnes Stores all make major and very generous contributions to our operating expenses and we deploy these funds as best we can. That way Donations go straight to the charity Partner we've chosen. The more listeners that we have the more likely they might want contribute more next year to get a further reach. So if you choose to buy from them this Christmas, it does in turn support us for next year.

I think we have a fairly good coverage all things considered and the streaming and DAB services hopefully facilitates the others, but yes I'm aware that is one of the FM blind spots. I know that's really annoying if you've bad broadband and FM reception in the same area. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How can we get Fairytale banned? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'd like to log a complaint about mommy kissing Santa Claus. It doesn't mention in the song if Santa consented and this makes me very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Ficheall wrote: »
    Best Christmas song ever .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'll donate €100 if it's returned to the playlist.
    I'll double it if you drop that crappy Peter Kay non-christmas, christmas song: "Once Upon a Christmas Song".
    I'll challenge those who are complaining to row in behind me, and lets raise some good money for a good charity regardless of the stupid decision that can be reversed.

I'd suggest that when songs are dropped they are forgotten about, and perhaps thats why you didn't get requests. Frankly I generally dont think of the song until I see the movie Elf. That said, if the current zeitgeist continues ontrack, the movie is sure to be for the chopping block... I digress.

Who'll sign up behind me?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Zulu wrote: »
    I'll double it if you drop that crappy Peter Kay non-christmas, christmas song: "Once Upon a Christmas Song".
    I'll challenge those who are complaining to row in behind me, and lets raise some good money for a good charity regardless of the stupid decision that can be reversed.

You lost me there, that's a great song and one of the best written Christmas songs in a long long time.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    You lost me there, that's a great song and one of the best written Christmas songs in a long long time.
    That's ok - it's not a "double or quits" type scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

As far as i know the song wasn't played last year at all and it didn't make the cut the last year or this year. No one missed it or requested it last year. Songs get added and dropped all the time on radio stations.

Does that mean if enough people requested the song it'll be played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Unfortunately I'm a bit broke at the minute but I'd happily pledge €20 on the basis of the song being returned to the playlist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Can you please lodge a complaint that "Do They Know its Christmas" offends me as it looks to enforce Christianity on a predominantly Muslim continent?

My Grandad was in the Crusades and he didn't die for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Can we put together a boards hour

Unfortunately I'm a bit broke at the minute but I'd happily pledge €20 on the basis of the song being returned to the playlist
    Fair play. Thats €120...

Ficheall wrote: »

I can think of several objects that could be raised on that one... And we'll be happy to ignore these objections also. Our listeners love that song.

Let me demonstrate you how much influence I personally have on the general playlist :D People can post about songs that they think should or shouldn't be on the play list and I'll ignore you below :cool:
    I'll donate €100 if...

In terms of paying to have influence on the playlist. Paid requests do make a difference and songs go in and out of the play list all the time. But we're not going to allow this Lazy Journalism become the story because to us the Story is the Amazing Work Temple Street do. If People want to donate or raise money for something - why not aim for a new incubator for Temple Street. Imagine knowing that a baby might not be left out in the cold when they need it most? Isn't that a better focus?

Its an Ask Me Anything about the station etc folks, rather than Ask Christmas FM to change... Happy to answer questions as best I can.

In terms of donations do ye continue to receive donations outside of the Christmas season?

In terms of donations do ye continue to receive donations outside of the Christmas season?

Not really, The few days after we close we do, but then it goes very quiet. Out of sight out of mind. As you know we are streaming all year round, but its Christmas that we are the busiest. We can't measure it but we hope that people think about our charity partners at other times of the year. Because we aren't on air its easier for them to donate directly to the Charities themselves. Its for this reason that every year the Charity Partners tell us that the exposure and awareness that is generated is even more valuable than the generous cash amount the listeners donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi Ronan, if I request a song which isn't on the current rotation, will it get played or will the text be ignored. There is a couple of Christmas songs I love which I have never heard on X-mas FM.
    Example.. "When the Thames froze" by Smith and Burrows.

By the way, we have X-mas fm on all the time; my wife, 4 kids and I love it and sometimes we all start dancing in the morning if something like The Ronnettes comes on. It really makes the weeks leading into Christmas special in our house.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Ronan, if I request a song which isn't on the current rotation, will it get played or will the text be ignored. There is a couple of Christmas songs I love which I have never heard on X-mas FM.
    Example.. "When the Thames froze" by Smith and Burrows.

By the way, we have X-mas fm on all the time; my wife, 4 kids and I love it and sometimes we all start dancing in the morning if something like The Ronnettes comes on. It really makes the weeks leading into Christmas special in our house.

Thanks

If you request an song that hasn't been chosen as suitable for our station, it won't get played. If enough people request it, the data might mean it ends up getting the attention of the playlist supervisor but it would need to be hundreds of texts. The presenter would most likely mention your names if you text in that you wanted to get a mention but they wont mention the songs that we don't play because it doesn't add any value and takes up air time.

But we're not going to allow this Lazy Journalism ... If People want to donate or raise money for something - why not aim for a new incubator for Temple Street.
    Buddy, I'm suggesting a way to raise money. To turn this "lazy journalism" into something productive.

You'd think you'd row in behind it as opposed to turning your nose to it.

As it happens, Ive always enjoyed your station, and the good work you do. Keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think it's right that "Cold Outside" was dropped couple of years ago as it's simply not a Chirtsmas song in anyway and don't understand why people think it is.

Same applies to "Stay Another Day" by East 17 and "The Power of Love" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Can you tell how many people listen to Christmas FM online or on the app during the 11 months of the year that it's not broadcasting on live radio? There must be a significant demand for it if the service is there?

Scarinae wrote: »
    Can you tell how many people listen to Christmas FM online or on the app during the 11 months of the year that it's not broadcasting on live radio? There must be a significant demand for it if the service is there?

A few hundred at the best of times - far more globally based than our percentage of listeners at Christmas. Half Christmas we get a bit of a peak and then last year for a bit of devilment myself and a few presenters wen't back live on air for the massive snow storm and called it ChristMarch. On ChristMarch Day we actually had more listeners than the average Christmas Day - just because of the novelty factor.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Folks, can we get back to asking Ronan questions about working on the station rather than opinions on what song(s) are or are not on the playlist? As he has already said, he has no influence over the stations playlist. Thanks.

I noticed that the Christmas FM song contest is closed for entries now - when will the winner be announced? Do you play past winners on the playlist?

On a separate note, I will be in Ireland for a few weeks over Christmas but I only have a UK phone. Is there any way for me to text in requests and donate? Or would I have to borrow an Irish phone off someone to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What's the most requested song? Is it fairly consistent over the years or does it change year on year?

I noticed that the Christmas FM song contest is closed for entries now - when will the winner be announced? Do you play past winners on the playlist?

On a separate note, I will be in Ireland for a few weeks over Christmas but I only have a UK phone. Is there any way for me to text in requests and donate? Or would I have to borrow an Irish phone off someone to do it?

Yes we closed entries yesterday.

Finalists will be announced on air on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th December and we'll be playing the finalists over the weekend and asking the listeners to vote.

Public voting will close at 10pm Sunday 9th December 2018.

Then Listen in to the Brekkie Show with Garvan on Monday 10th December to hear the winner being announced. Winner will be play listed for the rest of the year and given a chance next year to get on the playlist. For example Funzo has made the play list every year since it won.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    What's the most requested song? Is it fairly consistent over the years or does it change year on year?

The most requested song is Fairy Tale of New York from the Pogues. Closely followed by Mariah Carey - All i want for Christmas, Last Christmas, Driving home for Christmas etc.

Then all the songs that the boardies like in LoughC's post that got more than 7% of the vote tend to feature in the requests.

I will be in Ireland for a few weeks over Christmas but I only have a UK mobile phone. Is there any way for me to text in requests and donate? Or would I have to borrow an Irish phone off someone to do it?

I will be in Ireland for a few weeks over Christmas but I only have a UK mobile phone. Is there any way for me to text in requests and donate? Or would I have to borrow an Irish phone off someone to do it?

You can donate and we allow contacts via the website for out of state visitors. ChristmasFm.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Would you play the Christy Moore version of Fairytale? I love the song in general but sometimes its nice to listen to alternative versions of a song?

Lazy journalism whatever, it was a terrible decision to let it look like the station removed Baby its cold outside based on the lyrical content. Really annoyed me.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Would you play the Christy Moore version of Fairytale? I love the song in general but sometimes its nice to listen to alternative versions of a song?

Its not on our list at the moment, we get requests for the Pogues version. I'm not in charge of playlists.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Lazy journalism whatever, it was a terrible decision to let it look like the station removed Baby its cold outside based on the lyrical content. Really annoyed me.

I'm not getting into this again after this. We cant control the fake news stories that people make up, the story was a CNN story about a different station and someone saw it was controversial in the US tried to make it relevant to Ireland by implying it was the same at Christmas FM. It wasn't. The song was dropped well before all this happened because no one was texting in asking for it, it wasn't popular - we drop songs all the time and add new ones. When it went no one missed it or asked for it - which makes me think very few people consider it their favourite Song around Christmas and removing it was a good idea. If you want to demonstrate in a way that has a chance of making a difference to the playlist text in the station asking for it and making a donation. Text XMAS followed by a space then your message to 50300. Texts cost €2 proceeds to to @Temple_Street Despite all the attention that fake news is getting... it's not made a blip on the requested songs list. I think thats because when someone decides to donate, they'll find that they have other songs they prefer.

The lyrical content we took into account at the time was the fact that its not actually a Christmas Song!! It doesn't mention Christmas once, or festive cheer and we are a Christmas Radio Station. It's about as relevant as playing Spice up your life by the spice girls because people ate a spiced meal over Christmas.

Here's the thing. My PERSONAL opinion is: if we let everyone have a say in what gets played, we'll sound like every other radio station. We'd start playing the billboard top 10 and the 15 year olds that have the time to petition for whoever the Justin Beiber of today is to be played all the time. If we asked for popular opinion of wether people were missing non stop Christmas Music before we started people would have said that's madness and no one will want or listen to that. When Henry Ford started the ford motor company, if he asked what people wanted they would have said a faster horse.

As an organisation, we set out to start one radio station. We've ended up with 5 radio stations because people said they wanted More Classics, More Crooners, More back ground style, More songs applicable to the UK listeners... On top of what we already do. My opinion is the founders and team put huge amounts of effort into keeping as many people as happy as possible - we are aware we cannot keep everyone happy. We are also aware Youtube and Spotify can satisfy those people instantly. I've said before on this thread i like other songs too, including that one, that aren't play listed or suitable and I listen to them. So if ChristmasFM doesn't play 100% of the songs you like - try a mix and match or maybe find your bliss elsewhere for a portion of your time. But please don't take the fact that one person has a slightly different taste and opinion of music as a reason not to Support the AMAZING work the people at Temple Street Hospital do.

That song is not even on the boards.ie list of decent Christmas songs either. Not to sounds like a Grinch, but I'm not gonna be replying to any more comments on this, songs people do or don't like or play lists because honestly I've established I don't have (or want) any control on playlists. So please folks can we go back on topic or maybe let this forum fizzle out if I've covered all the questions on what its like being involved in the station. There's an opportunity cost to time and focus, so I'm going to need to be a little fussy on what I do and don't engage with. I apologise in advance if I don't reply to all comments going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

How many tins of sweets do you and the other DJs get through in the studio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Listened to a piece this morning about Reindeer games getting underway, absolutely brilliant and i wish my girls were of an age to understand. The commitment from the team to the Christmas experience is top notch.

Don't really have any question just more my thanks, with all the negativity in the world and the fake news crap, Christmas FM is something that is honest and good.

How many tins of sweets do you and the other DJs get through in the studio?

Well we do have the absolute best sponsors when you think about it that way. Cadburys!!! Coca Cola!!! And Dunnes Stores!!!

But if your counting by definition you are doing it wrong.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Where did you get the Sprouts suit? It's awesome!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Where did you get the Sprouts suit? It's awesome!

So I mentioned earlier in the Thread about the Day Job. So that question is not doubt gonna be called a plant. But yes, during the day I'm the CEO at TheCostumeShop.ie and we sell all sorts of Crazy Christmas Suits

https://www.thecostumeshop.ie/costumes/adult-brussel-sprout-suit.html

brussell_sprout_suit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Given that you love Halloween too, would you consider doing a Halloween FM around that time of year?

• Advertisement

Given that you love Halloween too, would you consider doing a Halloween FM around that time of year?

Hmmm had never thought about that. Halloween is so busy in work it had never crossed my mind. Its actually a really good idea... And I know the perfect sponsor that will pay for it :D

What does everyone else think on that idea? I'm not sure if we could get the FM license for it, but we could definitely stream it.

Halloween FM? Meh. What'll it be, the monster mash, triller, and tubular bells on repeat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Halloween FM? Meh. What'll it be, the monster mash, triller, and tubular bells on repeat?

Don't forget the entire Westlife back catalogue.

Don't forget the entire Westlife back catalogue.
    :pac::pac::pac:
    Good man irlirishkev, you win today!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well I would definitely listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Its not on our list at the moment, we get requests for the Pogues version. I'm not in charge of playlists.
    This will belie my total ignorance of how radio stations work, but when mainstream stations get a random song request, something obscure that nobody has played since the 70s, they will often have it right there at their fingertips. They search for it, queue it and play it.

Yet, obviously you don't, your playlists are very specific and rigid. Why is this? Is it about having to negotiate royalty-free play for each song? Whereas a big station will just pay the royalties regardless?

seamus wrote: »
    This will belie my total ignorance of how radio stations work, but when mainstream stations get a random song request, something obscure that nobody has played since the 70s, they will often have it right there at their fingertips. They search for it, queue it and play it.

Yet, obviously you don't, your playlists are very specific and rigid. Why is this? Is it about having to negotiate royalty-free play for each song? Whereas a big station will just pay the royalties regardless?

Its not about royalties. I think this impression you got is because of the way the presenters say oh thats an interesting song request... at then immediately play it, like they haven't pre read every text message before they read them to cue up the song. The secret here is they will only play a song if its suitable and have authorisation to play it. The vast majority of song requests get ignored in main stream stations.

RTE for example have a huge basement full of a music library. Other stations have digitised catalogues.

Just because we could play a song doesn't mean we should. It's back to the punter in a night club telling the DJ that they have thousands of songs on their ipod but the DJ might just have the right vinyl records for that venue and if you don't like the music in the venue but everyone else does...

Why are our play lists set by a single person rather than the individual volunteers or the people that text in? Its about station identity. A couple of pages back people asked why type of music I listen to outside Christmas, I think we can agree, its not what appeals to the main stream audience - so what i'm saying is we try to play to the majority. I like that music in my home, but never in 20 years of presenting on Radio I have never played any of those style of songs on Radio. Its not suitable.

Another example is if we had a policy of every text getting played and then a kid with a lot of spare pocket money and a love for the Christmas Shoes Song text in every 3 minutes and we would have it on repeat. Soon we'd escalate to just one listener. This wouldn't be a good station. Just because one person really likes a song, doesn't mean the majority like it or that it should be played. There really is only so many good Christmas Songs and the average listener listens for 15 - 20 minutes at a time. So we want to play the best popular music.

Also we play about 15 songs per hour and get way more than 15 texts per hour. If we raised €120,000 this year in texts, we would have to run 12 concurrent Stations / streams to fit in that many requests (less given the repeats but you get the idea). And that's before management or presenters make any song choices. Most of the time we don't ask for listener song requests because you can imagine the complaints if we asked for a listeners to donate to request and then couldn't play that many request in a reasonable amount of time - they might feel hard done by.

So we have a playlist so songs aren't over played or under played. Not repeated in the same 2 hours segments etc. The station sounds consistent and has that Christmas FM feel. If we let volunteers control the playlist, some eager volunteer might try to fill their shows with non stop brand new music that people haven't heard of or all rock for an hour - to try and make a name for themselves or their taste in music. This might not appeal to listeners as much as the Christmas FM sound that our listeners have grown to love. So its a way of managing the work our workload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cool thread,

Its not directly related but I've always been curious how song royalties work - if you play a song how much of a royalty is paid? Who monitors how many times a day you play it etc or is it self regulated? I'm assuming radio stations pay chunks of royalties at various intervals instead of daily etc.. does everyone pay the same rate?

Apologies if off topic.

Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Good King Wenceslas
    Do you play it? It isn't a Christmas song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Good King Wenceslas
    Do you play it? It isn't a Christmas song.

Always thought it was?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement