Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NWA (National Wrestling Alliance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭briany

brianblaze wrote: »
    It's one thing for Disney Plus and the WWE Network to have things that were 'of their time,' it's entirely another thing for a company to upload a video with one of their commentators being racist.

It might be a figure of speech, as he said the same thing in 95, but it's still not okay.

I'm not for scripting promos or commentary, I am okay with editing out stupid sh*t people people say.

I'm not saying that Cornette is racist, he just said something racist and possibly didn't realise! In the same way, in the early 90's in Primary School when we were saying Eeny, meeny, miny, moe and one of us realised that were saying something wrong, Cornette should have understood the same.

Some of the WWE stuff wasn't even that long ago. It was a different era, but not in terms of sensitivity. More in terms of social media, which just didn't have the same kind of influence that it does now, and the numbers to instantly hit that critical mass of outrage.

Cornette definitely picked the wrong card out of his mental rolodex, but I don't think he should be fired over it. There aren't many out there who wouldn't look like amateurs compared to him, and his loss would make the show less watchable, week to week. Let him say what he wants, but also get a proper editor in there to check if anything goes over the line and deal with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cornette has officially resigned.

What he said was thick, but it baffles me that the show was recorded, edited, etc and no one went "hmm, maybe we should cut this..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Cornette has officially resigned.

What he said was thick, but it baffles me that the show was recorded, edited, etc and no one went "hmm, maybe we should cut this..."

The editor should be the one getting the chop. That's a huge loss to them over something, while stupid and old-fashioned, came from an innocent place.

Well, to quote the other guy, "Pretty sure I've just watched my last episode of NWA Powerr."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Sucks that he has to resign, thought he significantly added to the appeal and quality of the show.

Sucks that he has to resign, thought he significantly added to the appeal and quality of the show.

Yes, totally. My previous post was a bit tongue in cheek, but really good wrestling commentators are damn hard to come by. I should say, in fact, that they are a dying breed. Good Ol' J.R. was once the best, but he's not what he was by a long shot. A lot of that is unavoidable, due simply to age, but Cornette, even nearing 60, could still really go. If they replace Cornette with some fresh-faced youngster, who you wouldn't know from Adam, the show will definitely lose some appeal. The NWA should find out what Dutch Mantell is at and if he's available to be involved. Cornette is not only a loss on commentary, but he's a most respected mind for wrestling psychology as well.

Big crossroads, here, for Corgan's fledgling NWA. They need someone of Cornette's stature in their corner to grow, imo. As I say, Mantell would be a good shout, if available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

briany wrote: »
    Yes, totally. My previous post was a bit tongue in cheek, but really good wrestling commentators are damn hard to come by. I should say, in fact, that they are a dying breed. Good Ol' J.R. was once the best, but he's not what he was by a long shot. A lot of that is unavoidable, due simply to age, but Cornette, even nearing 60, could still really go. If they replace Cornette with some fresh-faced youngster, who you wouldn't know from Adam, the show will definitely lose some appeal. The NWA should find out what Dutch Mantell is at and if he's available to be involved. Cornette is not only a loss on commentary, but he's a most respected mind for wrestling psychology as well.

Big crossroads, here, for Corgan's fledgling NWA. They need someone of Cornette's stature in their corner to grow, imo. As I say, Mantell would be a good shout, if available.

Is David Crockett free ? I know he wasn't the best but his family were basically the NWA by the end. I still don't understand why it wasn't edited out prior to it airing. I'm a jim cornette fan because of his wrestling knowledge and can take or leave his political rants he has from time to time. Jim shouldn't have said what he said but by the same token someone in charge should have heard in prior to last night and taken it out or done something to if not save cornette but to stop
    Billy Corgan and Dave Lagana from having to deal with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Anyways.....when I first saw Marti Belle a couple of weeks ago I didn't think much of her, but good on her because a faction of her, Rosa and Melinda looks promising. Definitely caught my attention. Only problem is that I don't see Kay as quite the strong enough face to go up against them.

The whole Kamille thing is being dragged out a bit at this stage. Not a strong enough storyline to being hanging the hat of your world champion on.

Anyways.....when I first saw Marti Belle a couple of weeks ago I didn't think much of her, but good on her because a faction of her, Rosa and Melinda looks promising. Definitely caught my attention. Only problem is that I don't see Kay as quite the strong enough face to go up against them.

The whole Kamille thing is being dragged out a bit at this stage. Not a strong enough storyline to being hanging the hat of your world champion on.

Marti belle is good enough in the ring I just wouldn't let her talk again until she becomes more comfortable at it. Melina will help just from her experience alone. The question mark is just over like **** and he's a guy under a mask. A simple thing done right imagine that. Yeah at the start her not talking was interesting because you had to watch because she might talk the next week but it's been seven weeks now so it's time to talk or go home.

• Advertisement

That and Kamille is sort of nicking the Spiritual Advisor's gimmick.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Marti belle is good enough in the ring I just wouldn't let her talk again until she becomes more comfortable at it. Melina will help just from her experience alone. The question mark is just over like **** and he's a guy under a mask. A simple thing done right imagine that. Yeah at the start her not talking was interesting because you had to watch because she might talk the next week but it's been seven weeks now so it's time to talk or go home.

Is it just me or is it Jocephus under that bloody thing!?

Is it just me or is it Jocephus under that bloody thing!?

Obviously. Pity because I figure it's building up to a reveal where ? attacks someone and reveals himself as Jocephus. It would be better just to leave him a a separate character.

I imagine him and Stevens will piss the roster off with their antics for weeks until Jocephus is finally exposed.

Latimer seems to be a bit too good to be in a tag team even if they're tag champs. Given him and Kamille are together they've a ready made world title feud with Aldis there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I like that loads are vying to be NWA World Champion. First the Tim Storm arc. Then James Storm actively denigrating the National Championship in favour of the top one. Eli Drake or Mr Anderson could step up at anytime, Drake had actually name dropped himself into the conversation. Then you've the Trevor Murdoch bit from this week too.

Aldis carries himself exceptionally well. He's got the tweener vibe down perfectly. Compliments opponents and does it for the fans but is very cocky and smarmy.

Oh and that damn intro "Into the Fiyah!" is in my head all week.

Have to say I've enjoyed Murdoch's work so far on the show and he's over with the audience. I hope the Cornette thing doesn't get him any negative throwback.

• Advertisement

Aldis/Storm announced as the main event of Into the Fire in a best of three falls match for the NWA Worlds Heavyweight championship, should be a good one.

Wonder was that non-episode this week Cornette related?

No NWA Powerrr this week I think but Wade Barrett has been announced as Cornette's replacement on the commentary team for this weekend's PPV and the shoots of the next batch of episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

anyone gonna order into the fire?

Think I will, at feck all else this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dannocasey

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Wonder was that non-episode this week Cornette related?

No. On his podcast Corny said that package episode was always planned for episode eight. Though the content may have changed from originally planned.

dannocasey wrote: »
    No. On his podcast Corny said that package episode was always planned for episode eight. Though the content may have changed from originally planned.

It wasn't great planning to run 2 episodes short of the PPV, that same editor who cost us all Cornette more than likely guilty there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dannocasey

Marty Scurll showed up at their PPV last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Seemed to get a decent pop... I’d imagine it’s short term as he’ll sign else where for much bigger money... must say I find the question mark character very funny

Not sure.
    The next ppv is January. So they'll be taping episodes soon and enough to carry up until the ppv.
    So if he is just in for 'season 2' why do it in the first place if AEW was or is interested.

Cabana Is totally done with ROH too. Reckon he is raging over that. Nice little earner even commentating for him.

Enjoyed that episode, a reset of sorts to go with the new season. Some promising storylines established.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I'm really enjoying NWA since after Into The Fire PPV. It is pity that not a lot of people are talking about it compared to AEW.

I'm really enjoying NWA since after Into The Fire PPV. It is pity that not a lot of people are talking about it compared to AEW.

I caught Meltzer talking about it briefly once, and I could sense in his voice the sheer disinterest. Powerrr is a throwback to a time Meltzer insists is now dead, so giving them credit doesn't suit him.

The show still needs to hone itself, for example having Alison Kaye and ODB have a girl talk on the latest show is all kinds of weird. The tweener stuff with Drake is getting tiresome as well.

But in the main it's still a deeply enjoyable way to spend an hour.

I think they have done a good job in making me care about Tim Storm this week with video package.

I think they have done a good job in making me care about Tim Storm this week with video package.

Yeah I enjoyed that. Aldis plays a prick so well which makes it even better.

• Advertisement

Yeah I enjoyed that. Aldis plays a prick so well which makes it even better.

Plays?

:pac:

Wasn't expecting to see Scott Steiner walk out as the third man on Aldis' team, love it! Really good episode I thought, Thunder Rosa and Ricky Starks have great potential.

I am only one that doesn't skip the intro every week.

They only started to do proper intros over the last two episodes so I don't skip them.

Really love Aldis. I know the audience are in part playing up to it but jesus....that heat the second he walks out from the curtain and stares at the booing crowd. So simple.....so effective.

That Zicky Dice dude is a similar case. Pretty good at drawing boos with minimal effort. Love it.

This week's extended episode was one of the best yet I thought, good balance between in-ring action and promos. They have built excellently to the PPV, and the working relationship with ROH can only be a good thing for both, it's been really good so far, very much looking forward to Aldis/Gordon now.

The gauntlet match was good this week, as was Belle/Kay and Aldis/Morton, and Corgan was surprisingly good on commentary. Melina, Rosa and Marti are stars of the show for me so far still though, great group, hopefully Rosa takes the belt on Friday.

Bought the replay.....love the concept of the TV championship with the 6 minute time limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I can watch an hour+ of this straight through without getting bored.

I get bored watching the weekly 5 minute Raw Top Ten Moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Liked the long episode of Power. Hate that they constantly shoe horn “10 lbs of gold” in at EVERY opportunity. Got a good laugh out of Question Mark and Sandow and Bennet selling it on commentary was very good

Anyone watch Hard Times?
    Stroke Daddy, Thunder Rosa and Aldis...now that's what I call champions worth tuning in for.

• Advertisement

Thunder Rosa is a star, her match with Kay was great, delighted she won. The TV Title tournament and the Aldis/Villain Enterprise stuff continues to be really good, another very enjoyable show from NWA.

I enjoyed the show.

Stu is really playing up to his BNB gimmick.

Sean Mooney is on NWA power.

Waiting for someone to utter the immortal "Shut up Mooney!" a la Heenan & Perfect

I am bit sad that they got rid of into the fire song, it was such a great song for the intro.

I am bit sad that they got rid of into the fire song, it was such a great song for the intro.

Big Time. The new one sounds kind of generic Raw intro music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Big Time. The new one sounds kind of generic Raw intro music.

Don't remind me of that!

That Eddie Kingston promo.....christ, I know its repetitive at this stage but he's absolute fire. So good that I don't even care if what he said about Homicide was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Did anyone watch the Circle Sqaured yet?

any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Ryder and Hawkins might worth a pick up by the NWA.

I think Rusev would be awesome here for a run before going to NJPW and then onto AEW.

Just thought I'd bump this given the latest news that Thunder Rosa could be on the way to WWE.

That's now Ricky Starks, Eddie Kingston, Thunder Rosa and James Storm who have seemingly signed full time deals elsewhere.

Nick Aldis remains champion and based on his interview on Disco Inferno/Konnan's podcast, it sounds like he'll be there until the end.

NWA are currently doing matches on UWN Primetime Live but hard to see how they can manage to continue after losing such prominent stars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement