Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black Desert Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

€30 for the basic package seems fairly reasonable if that game gets some good reviews.

Any more passes going around? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot over the weekend at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i tried to claim my passes there but i dont think i can at the moment server maintenance from 8am-2pm today.

So far im enjoying the game got a nice trade network set up, took a while to figure it all out was a bit head scratching, but once you get it down it makes sense. The best way to think of the game is that it is like a really super sexy rune scape and the quests are really for getting more contribution points and not for leveling up as you can do that fairly quick just mashing mobs which is kinda fun as hell. Also quests and everything you do is shared over all your characters so you will have the same workers, homes, nodes that you set up on any character.

I did my first trade run last night loaded up my donkey and set of got attacked by purple bandits and died lame, but recovered my donkey from a stable master for 10k silver ! still had my trade goods on it and i made like 30k of that stuff i was not expecting to get a profit of that was a nice surprise. Im enjoying this more than i was expecting to its nice not just going quest hub to quest hub like in other mmo's. i can just wander off and do what ever i feel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adorable

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I did my first trade run last night loaded up my donkey and set of got attacked by purple bandits and died lame, but recovered my donkey from a stable master for 10k silver ! still had my trade goods on it and i made like 30k of that stuff i was not expecting to get a profit of that was a nice surprise. Im enjoying this more than i was expecting to its nice not just going quest hub to quest hub like in other mmo's. i can just wander off and do what ever i feel like.

Wait, what? Your mounts can die?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adorable

Kiith wrote: »
    I watched some of the features earlier, and there seems to be a huge amount of things to do. I'll wait to try it with the guest pass (cheers Adorable), as i've been burned a few too many times with MMO's in the past, but it looks great.

I sent you a PM. :P

got myself a key. no need to send me one if anyone was going to .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cheers Adorable, looking forward to trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Well its a fun fishing game at least :D

Need to build myself a boat now though...

So finally managed to complete the download by around 11pm last night. (it's hulla slow but seems capped on their end)

Got in and spent a while in character creation. Had a few moments of absolute hilarity while messing about. Honestly had tears streaming down my face. That stupid grin or angry look you can give them really made me laugh. I left my character with a the smile look which I now regret. I thought that look would only appear if you went afk for a while. It feels wrong to run around bashing wolf heads in with a mad smile on your face. Will prob delete the character and start again as only played about 2 hours or so. Want my main character to be proper so will make him normal and any alts look funny.

I picked the Warrior class. Really enjoyed it so far. Takes a little while to get the hang of. I'm not used to combos etc but when you get them going, you can really bash heads. Was running into groups of mobs 8+ and easily downing them.
    The game itself is beautiful and pretty well optimized. I'm pulling between 80-90fps on a gtx970, i5 3570k & 16 jigglebits of ram on max settings. Even during insane aoe spam it seemed fine. I'll know more when I hit heavily populated areas.

I'll know more about the game after the weekend as I only had about 2 hours last night.
    It's not without some bugs. I had problems of chat windows not showing and HUD getting all messed up but both were easily fixed with a HUD reset (option in the menu) and a log off for the chat windows. Day 1 teething problems anyway. Wouldn't expect anything else.

Looking forward to playing again this evening and getting much further.

Just a quick note to anyone about to download. First - check the launcher and make sure your settings are set to Europe. Doubled my download speed obviously and seems to be US by default.
    Second - Ignore the download speed you see. Mine sat saying 15 min until completion for 2 hours. I don't know what way they are calculating it but it's wrong :P (and the problem is not on my end cause I downloaded the Division just beforehand which is roughly the same size in 15-20 min)

What servers are people playing on? Didn't get to play last night as it was taking a while to download, but will this afternoon.

I am on Alustin names Drezzil lonestone

• Advertisement

Croxus :cool:

Just started building a raft, il try get a ferry tomorrow think i have most of the materials. I have the town you start out in set up for black stone powder and making ingots and i currently have veila for ships and tools. Here i come sea yarr

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hey folks, I don't suppose anyone has a spare guest pass? I'd love to give it a bash before forking out for one of the packages. Been wanting to get back into a non-monthly sub mmo but GW2 isn't holding my attention for long.

For anyone that bought the Explorer's package - are those 3 extras really worth the added €20? Was watching a video saying it's probably better to travel on foot early on to gain stat xp of some sort?

If u register on the bdo forum topic on there for people giving out guest passes, I found explores handy enough nice horse a pet which can loot and do other things depends on what u pick, wasn't Bad not sure of its worth it now with our the head start might be worth doing math and see if you can get more from the cash shop with 20 of u get the base game for 30

Lone Stone wrote: »
    If u register on the bdo forum topic on there for people giving out guest passes, I found explores handy enough nice horse a pet which can loot and do other things depends on what u pick, wasn't Bad not sure of its worth it now with our the head start might be worth doing math and see if you can get more from the cash shop with 20 of u get the base game for 30

Cheers Lone, I've posted over there so will see how that goes. How you finding the game so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Anyone having trouble with the sh*tty 0xE019101A error that kicks you out of the game when you start up? It's the Xigncode anti-cheat software which is notorious for false positives. Tried everything I can find, but nothing works so far.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Cheers Lone, I've posted over there so will see how that goes. How you finding the game so far?

I am enjoying a lot now actually, and i wouldnt usually be a big sand box guy when it comes to mmorpg's that arent like space sim sorta things. But its good i have mostly been focusing on trading and am only about 21 at the moment just forked out on a big trade wagon also built a raft the game seems massive ive only been to the first 3 town/cities, i like that i can log in and do what i feel like as opposed to constant kill quests etc like in a theme park kinda mmo. but that said i would try get a trial it might not be for everyone.

Really enjoyed it over the weekend but it does seem like yet another good MMO that is going to be ruined by a bad cash shop:/

Pets are pretty vital for farming rare drops as they can auto pick up loot, Scout and provide buffs. Breeding pets is not enabled for the western release of BDO so you need to buy them from the cash shop for €7 each, You can have 3 active pets and you need 2 of the same tier to create 1 from the next tier so 12 pets are needed costing €84 to get max tiered pets in each slot.

Also...

http://black-desert.com/forums/index.php/Thread/11831-MUST-READ-Before-BUYING-BLACK-DESERT/

Hoping that it improves though as it is seriously good fun!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any guest passes going folks ? :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Any guest passes going folks ? :)

PM'd. I have one more key available. Any takers?

I played a hulla lot over the weekend. Very addictive. I'n only lvl 16. Seem to spend most of my time around the starting starting town and Velia. Every time I try to move away I find more quests or conversations to be had. The amount to do is crazy but I'm really enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I would love a guest pass if you have one spare. Game does look fun, but don't wana buy it just in case it's a dud haha.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I have a week off work, if anyone has a guest pass I'd love one!

try do the black spirit quests they lead you to veila and if your looking to learn about nodes and all that crafting stuff that place is full of quests for it.

Noxin wrote: »
    PM'd. I have one more key available. Any takers?

I played a hulla lot over the weekend. Very addictive. I'n only lvl 16. Seem to spend most of my time around the starting starting town and Velia. Every time I try to move away I find more quests or conversations to be had. The amount to do is crazy but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Is that last pass gone? :)

Game looks great, and the combat is enjoyable, but there's one hell of a grind required from what i can see (and have read online). With how good the combat is, that shouldn't be as much of an issue for most people, but I suspect it'll turn a fair amount of people off. Plenty of other things to do though, which is always good.

Game looks great, and the combat is enjoyable, but there's one hell of a grind required from what i can see (and have read online). With how good the combat is, that shouldn't be as much of an issue for most people, but I suspect it'll turn a fair amount of people off. Plenty of other things to do though, which is always good.

Which class did you start off with? I'd normally choose a Paladin type class but there doesn't seem to be any in this game. Thinking I might try the Sorceress, combat looks fun with her.

Was watching some more videos about the pay aspect to the game - not sure it would bother me that much some items giving stat bonuses, but it's a little dissapointing that the gear you obtain normally in the game doesn't alter your appearance much? That's normally a good motivator I would have thought in MMOs - obtaining new gear that looks cool as well as having better stats.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I would love a guest pass if you have one spare. Game does look fun, but don't wana buy it just in case it's a dud haha.

Cheers

Sent.

Sorry folks. I'm out of keys. However if those who got them liked the game and buy it, they'll have two keys themselves.

also folks check here: http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/forum/9-new-adventurers/

There is a general keys forum where people are giving them away.

Game is indeed grindy. But being a P2P game and not a sub, this aint so much a bad thing. You can be mega hardcore if you want. Or you can be a casual player and just enjoy what you're doing. My hardcore days are long gone but I'm still really enjoying it.
    The combat is class. One of the best I've played. So refreshing not having to tab target and spam 1, 2, 1, 3. The combo system is great.
    I'm a warrior myself and love the class.

I have a Warrior and Wizard. Not such a fan that you are stuck with a specific look for the characters (i.e old man wizard, 20 something year old sexy ranger etc...), though it's not that big a deal. Both classes seem like a lot of fun, though i've barely scratched the surface of either.

Does your gear not change at all from the items you pickup? That seems pretty crazy.

I have a Warrior and Wizard. Not such a fan that you are stuck with a specific look for the characters (i.e old man wizard, 20 something year old sexy ranger etc...), though it's not that big a deal. Both classes seem like a lot of fun, though i've barely scratched the surface of either.

Does your gear not change at all from the items you pickup? That seems pretty crazy.

You can change the look I think.. But it's more difficult than you could imagine. I've not tried it myself.

Gear changes a little depending on what you equip. But it's pretty rare yea.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you can change the face's quite a bit, but the overall looks stays the same (i.e. young, old, sex etc...). Shame about the lack of gear changes, as that's one of the best parts of most mmo's. Everyone will look identical later in the game in that case, which sucks. I'd also worry that they'll put a lot of costume type micro-transactions in there in the future as well.

Advertisement