Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irishman (Scorsese, De Niro, Pesci and Pacino)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Silence was his passion project.

People applying it to this are just being lazy/using a cliche buzzword.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

My big takewway from this was that I never saw DeNiro actually SPEAK on the phone. There may have been half a word that you saw but that was it.

There's about 1-2 seconds in the trailer, from 1:39-1:43, that looks very dodgy/robotic where he says "Yes I would. Whatever you need me to do, I'm available". His hand is obscuring his mouth for the first part of the dialog but the last part doesn't look great at all.

It's funny, when I heard they were doing this I thought it might work but now I've seen a little bit of it I can't help but think they should have cast younger actors for the, er, older scenes a la Goodfellas. It'll be such a shame if it doesn't work as I think the rest of it looks great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's another de-ageing film making the rounds as well, it's clearly "in"; Will Smith fights a younger version of himself in Ang Lee's "The Gemini Man". The de-ageing is pretty good in most places, bar a few moments (hilariously, the CGI is more obvious in the floaty action set-pieces :D ) so I don't think it's simply a case of "knowing" what the younger version of an actor is meant to look like.

Like most things in life, the quality of the FX probably comes down to the classic conundrum: you can have it quick, cheap, or good; but you can only choose two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

El Duda wrote: »
    Silence was his passion project.

People applying it to this are just being lazy/using a cliche buzzword.

I had Silence in mind; I actually turned it off after about 1/2 hour. Just couldn't get into it. In this regard, I hope then you're right, and it isn't a passion project of his, as being in this frame of mind tends to de-focus from 'the vision thing'; there's too much emotional attachment, especially when they get dragged out over time. Not in every director's passion projects, but for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Was the terrible looking make-up in Back to the Future met with such derision when that came out?

The effects look fine. You're over analyzing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

El Duda wrote: »
    Was the terrible looking make-up in Back to the Future met with such derision when that came out?

The effects look fine. You're over analyzing it.

For me it's not a case of "over analyzing it", it's a case of it sticking out like a sore thumb for me and pulling me out of the experience. I'm not sitting there stroking my pointy beard going "Hmmmmmm.... That tiny little fleck of skin there should have been here". It's a case of "Agggghhhhh. What the hell? There is something wrong. I don't know exactly what it is but it's making my eyeball twitch". I get distracted when I see that actors eyelines are not matching up with a digital character or if a character doesn't have "weight". It's probably a slight form of OCD specific to animation :) - Even though I'm not that neat and tidy and I couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler, a laser and a pencil with the world's best eraser. It's not a deliberate thing.

I was distracted initially by the start of Spiderman - Into the Spiderverse because the Miles Morales character wasn't animated as fluidly as others until I noticed that it was better when he was in his spiderman outfit and got smoother as it went on. I put this down to an intentional thing and then this was confirmed by the animators afterwards. He started at 18 Frames Per Second and progressed to 24 FPS as he got more confident. Amazing attention to detail on their part.

Anyway. For many it won't be an issue but I'm just concerned that it'll drive me crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The chap Frank Sheeran whom this film is inspired by seems to have been something of a fantasist by all accounts. The trailer, if I'm reading it right seems to imply that he had something to do with JFK's assassination, I hope Scorsese isn't going down the Oliver Stone route of wild conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix Sets November 1 Theatrical Bow For Martin Scorsese-Directed ‘The Irishman:’ 27-Day U.S. & UK Rollout Comes Before Pic Streams For Thanksgiving Holiday
    In its most ambitious ever theatrical rollout plan for one of its original productions, Netflix will give The Irishman a 27-day theatrical window before the film makes its streaming service bow November 27. Netflix will launch on November 1 in Los Angeles and New York the epic crime drama that reunites director Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro for the first time in 24 years, in the Steven Zaillian-scripted adaptation of the Charles Brandt novel about the disappearance of former Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa. The film will add screens in the U.S. and expand to UK theaters on November 8.

While the screen counts aren’t set yet, the film will be in theaters in most major U.S. cities by the time it begins streaming on Netflix the day before Thanksgiving. Netflix will promote The Irishman with heavy P&A and endeavor to hold and even expand its movie screen presence after the film expands to the streaming service.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/the-irishman-netflix-november-1-theatrical-bow-martin-scorsese-robert-deniro-27-day-us-uk-rollout-stream-thanksgiving-holiday-1202704994/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

The Lighthouse cinema is screening this on Sunday October 13th at 7pm, just under a month ahead of its theatrical bow. Tickets are available now.
    https://lighthousecinema.ie//showing/showing-51843

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

New trailer has dropped, with even more CGI: definitely beginning to think the reach exceeded the grasp here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I know, I watched the trailer earlier and at times De Niro's digitally altered face was just too distracting to think about anything else.

Thought the trailer was fairly underwhelming. Is this movie going to be a turkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I was sensing a dud early on with this and the trailers certainly aren't doing anything to change my mind.

What is the story with a cinema release over here for this? I'd rather watch it in the cinema than on my TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Arghus wrote: »
    What is the story with a cinema release over here for this? I'd rather watch it in the cinema than on my TV.

Should be getting one in early November. Lighthouse is showing it on October 13th to coincide with the European premiere in London.

I am just happy I get to see all these great actors together, directed by a master. Trailer looks intriguing to me.

The CGI hasn't even made me blink. Couldnt care less about it unless Al and De Niro suddenly launch 100 feet into the air and starting fighting in the sky. Then I will likely mentally check out...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

Sold out already. What are the odds of them adding a second screening?

I liked the trailer and just seeing Pesci on screen again was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Their heads look weird but I’m still really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mr Regal

I wasn't too hot for this movie but the trailers in my opinion look good. The book itself wasn't amazing, a lot of information there but gives a good account of Sheeran and Hoffas relationship.
    Even with the de-aging, DeNiro looks too old to play Frank Sheeran IMO.
    But as a Mob movie fan I look forward to its release.

• Advertisement

Okay, first reviews are in and people seem pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah, there’s a bit of Oscar buzz already. I just saw the runtime too - 3 hours and 29 minutes! :eek: I’m going to have to catch it at the cinema all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

correction wrote: »
    I was sensing a dud early on with this and the trailers certainly aren't doing anything to change my mind.

It thankfully looks like I called it wrong.

The film is going to get a month long run on Broadway after major theaters chains refuse to screen it.

I'm sure Scorsese will love the grandness of having the film in an old theater on Broadway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So will it get a release over here ?

So will it get a release over here ?

The Lighthouse is showing it not sure if others are but I would guess it will get a limited time general release around the Country in a few of the chains.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah Netflix has abandoned its complete aversion to theatrical releases and is now giving most of their major films some sort of limited release. If cinemas accept the month long window before streaming, they can screen it. Lighthouse has no qualms with it - they’ve shown The Laundromat and The King also on the way. Curious to see who else picks this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah Netflix has abandoned its complete aversion to theatrical releases and is now giving most of their films some sort of limited release.
    That's so it can be considered for an Oscar

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's so it can be considered for an Oscar

No doubt an influence, but they’re giving ten films a theatrical release in the latter half of this year (in the US anyway, and at least a couple of them over here too). Compared to last year - when they basically gave Roma a reluctant release, kicking and screaming, and bare minimum releases for a handful of others - it’s a shift in strategy. Potential Oscar glory certainly a key motivator, but a notable and welcome shift regardless :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There's already sequel talk.
    vkqo24yjsdcy.jpg

Advertisement