Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum distance between houses

Options
  • 14-10-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi

Just trying to find out if there is a minimum distance regulation that should be maintained between two semi-detached houses that have garage access at the rear and i cant seem to find anything definitive on it.

I'm thinking of adding ideally external insulation to my house, currently the distance is 2.4m this would be reduced to about 2.27m when done. If my neighbor was to do the same then it would be down to 2.14m.

thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thinkydink wrote: »
    Hi

Just trying to find out if there is a minimum distance regulation that should be maintained between two semi-detached houses that have garage access at the rear and i cant seem to find anything definitive on it.

I'm thinking of adding ideally external insulation to my house, currently the distance is 2.4m this would be reduced to about 2.27m when done. If my neighbor was to do the same then it would be down to 2.14m.

thanks

when you say "garage" access what do you mean??
    do you mean an actual car garage, or a shed?
    because 2.4m is about as tight as you can get a car into...

who owns the garage / shed?
    is the space between the houses a common area, or does both houses own to half way? if so is there any rights of way to access the rear with a vehicle???

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thinkydink

By garage i mean where i keep my car :) both houses have a single garage behind them

The lane/driveway that is between our houses is shared access that we both have right of way onto (but neither of us own), be able to access our garages

2.4m is tight but my car is (from mirror to mirror) about 2.06m so leaves 17cm either side.

As i said by adding the insulation i'll be taking up to 13cm (according to the insulation firm) so that would leave 10.5cm each side, if the neighbour was to do the same then we would be down to 4cm, which would be an interesting time reversing the length of a house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s no minimum distance in the regulations but I know exactly what your talking about.

Bear in mind you need permission from all owners of the shared lane way so you and your neighbor need to agree to the EWI.

Advertisement