Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Meet, not meat. Also, Hovland finished T2 in that tournament last night.

Predictive changes it to meat for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

15 mil win and 2.5 or so I think i read for casey (more then anyone individual win this year) is obscene money, when some golfers are struggling on tour to make ends meat.

its all just a little wrong and I know this is just bonus **** for the golfers and gives the pga something to show after the majors are over

But it needs tweaking im not sure how, but 15 mil going to someone locked up for life is wrong.

The money full stop is ridiculous but a better trickle down effect will keep the tours alive for longer.

At the end of the day to be top level costs a lot i'd imagine and i dont want to watch 30 player tournaments every weekend.

Which is possible if we keep piling money up to the top of the Christmas tree

Shane Lowry said in an interview,I think it was the Tommy Tiernan Show,that he thinks there are only about four hundred professional Golfers in the World making a good living out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Unsurprisingly Brooks Koepka has won the PGA of America player of the year. The award works on a points system with Koepka getting 84 points to McIlroy's 78. Third was Gary Woodland with 42 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Going with a very early 59 or better watch for Kevin Chappel.

Just had 8 birdies in a row and just starting his back nine now. Par70 so just the 3 birdies needed.

I’m the 59 jinx though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would really enjoy a couple more weeks of a break from the PGA Tour

Complete and utter burn-out from watching the whole season and the Fed-Ex Cup finale all for it to get going again already

Are the cutline rules changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Top 65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

11 under through 16

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

10 foot birdie putt on the last coming up for 58.

Edit: just the 59!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Top 65

Brings it into line with the change made in the European Tour a few years ago. Are they still having a 3rd round cut if more than 78 get through?

Bit unlucky for Seamus Power, who would have made the cut under the old rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

abff wrote: »
    Brings it into line with the change made in the European Tour a few years ago. Are they still having a 3rd round cut if more than 78 get through?

Bit unlucky for Seamus Power, who would have made the cut under the old rules.

I think the Saturday cut is finished. Not sure, Seamus probably should have made the cut, but its getting harder for him every week, didn't seem a wise decision employing sky spoofer Nick Bradley as a coach, think he has binned him since though.

https://twitter.com/PGATOURComms/status/1173307831551963137?s=19

Hofland looks like the real deal, could sneak into Paddy's Ryder cup team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Does Hovland have European Tour membership? He can't earn ryder cup points until he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

paulos53 wrote: »
    Does Hovland have European Tour membership? He can't earn ryder cup points until he does

Not sure on that one but I'm sure there has been a word in his ear to remind him that if he takes up Euro your membership that more than likely he's make Euro Ryder Cup team

paulos53 wrote: »

I see that he has an invite to this week's PGA championship and I imagine that he is probably taking up membership of the European Tour as part of the deal.

I see that he has an invite to this week's PGA championship and I imagine that he is probably taking up membership of the European Tour as part of the deal.

And drawn with Harrington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Didnt see any of his round but stats for Seamus Power today were 5/14 fairways which makes his -7 even better than it looks. Rough probably not up to much, scoring very high in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://twitter.com/CoachLockey/status/1181234695180361730

Those are crazy numbers, imagine gaining 14 shots on the field just from putting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

When it's your week it's your week

• Advertisement

Rich Beem got a sponsors invite this week and lies T18 after 2 rounds. You'd have to think he wasted a few years stuck in the studio. Should be well able to compete on the seniors tour next year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Rich Beem got a sponsors invite this week and lies T18 after 2 rounds. You'd have to think he wasted a few years stuck in the studio. Should be well able to compete on the seniors tour next year.

He did well at the PGA too and he basically never plays competitively, he must've lost his passion for the game at some stage as he can obviously still compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brandon Wu going along quietly at - 5, four back as I type. Wu is the fourth player from that pretty hot 2018 class. Woolf, Morikawa and Hovland all turned pro in the summer but Wu wanted to play the Walker Cup before turning pro so waited until the end of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Harrington going well this weekend not Padraig tho

Crowds look really poor, don't think there's even 20 people following the final group. Very weak field though, essentially a glorified Korn Ferry event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

NDWC wrote: »
    Crowds look really poor, don't think there's even 20 people following the final group. Very weak field though, essentially a glorified Korn Ferry event

Bad day to have a tournament finale in Houston, both the Houston Astros and Houston Texans were playing yesterday.

For these end of season events the PGA tour really need to try and ensure at least a couple of big names are playing in every tournament, weak fields clearly don't help capture the public's imagination.Number of World Ranking points for winning yesterday was 24 which is the same number available for the Bermuda Championship which is an alternative event played on the Weekend of the WGC event in China.

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote: »

Still an $8 million purse

Remind me wrote: »
    Still an $8 million purse

Crazy that that's more than a Rolex event with all the shouting and roaring the European Tour do around them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Good start from Woods and Woodland in Japan

2nd round cancelled of the tournament in Japan.

Just saw some highlights of the first round and the crowds are seriously impressive looking has a sort of major championship look to it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

It's going to be a Monday finish now.

It'll be a seriously impressive feat if Woods wins this week, the field is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Would tie Sam Snead's record wouldn't he?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Would tie Sam Snead's record wouldn't he?

Yep, they'd both be on 82 wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger going to get 82 today. Wouldn't worry about Snead's record.. the figure is farcical at best.

HighLine wrote: »
    Tiger going to get 82 today. Wouldn't worry about Snead's record.. the figure is farcical at best.

Why is Snead's record farcical?

I imagine because the sport wasn't as professional back then and a lot of tournaments would have had very weak fields compared to the modern era.

- 6 of his wins were against fields of 15 or less, with one of those consisting of just 4 players.
    - 3 of his wins were 36 hole events and one was an 18 hole event.

HighLine wrote:
    What can you tell me about Snead's era? His actual tournament wins record is much higher than the 82 PGA tour wins, he had over 40 wins outside of the PGA tour in his professional careers not including seniors golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    HighLine wrote: »

Thanks for that. Not sure I'd use the word farcical, but I agree that the total is somewhat exaggerated when measured against the criteria used to determine how many events Tiger has won.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What can you tell me about Snead's era? His actual tournament wins record is much higher than the 82 PGA tour wins, he had over 40 wins outside of the PGA tour in his professional careers not including seniors golf.

Tiger has 108 professional tournament wins.

Watched most of the third round last night, Tiger's irons looked very sharp and his putting was as good as I've seen it in years (holes 1 and 18 aside).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

And he does it, nicely crafted birdie to finish. Imagine what he would have done without the broken leg/shenanigans/back episodes

Will he play the WGC this weekend?

I think hell gauge how he is feeling on Tuesday and decide then.

Love this video on tigers swing over the years

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1188825245060349956?s=19

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Love this video on tigers swing over the years

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1188825245060349956?s=19

That swing is remarkably similar throughout the years

I note that only 3 of the current top 10 in the OWGR are taking part in this week's WGC event. That must be a big disappointment for the sponsors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Its hugely disappointing but it has been this way for years.

They should bring a WGC to Ireland. Get rid of Memphis and put it on the links here in the Summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement