Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A decade ago, were there protein pellets that looked like half-crushed Maltesers?

Options
  • 10-10-2019 12:35pm

I have memories of protein pellets. They were middle-ground brown. Like crushed spheres with the flat sides being say 5mm.

Just wondering if these were a common agricultural feed to help cows or sheep. And if they were, would anyone know how much protein one would contain?

I have no idea if protein is even an agricultural supplement. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Rolled soya beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

I have memories of protein pellets. They were middle-ground brown. Like crushed spheres with the flat sides being say 5mm.

Just wondering if these were a common agricultural feed to help cows or sheep. And if they were, would anyone know how much protein one would contain?

I have no idea if protein is even an agricultural supplement. Thanks.

Would it have been full fat soya, wouldn't be as big as maltesers but serious feeding.

148multi wrote: »
    Would it have been full fat soya, wouldn't be as big as maltesers but serious feeding.

My mum gave me them for years when I was going to the gym and she said it was protein. I have a seemingly inexplicable medical condition that could be explained by way too much protein for a prolonged period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You think your mum fed you agricultural feedsttuff ?

_Brian wrote: »
    You think your mum fed you agricultural feedsttuff ?

Maybe. She came from a farming background and in hindsight, I can't imagine gym protein coming in pellets. Sure, it's possible that some gym supplements came like that, but when I look now at protein shakes tasting of vanilla and being delicious, I find it hard to believe they'd change that much in a decade.

They were brown, dry and sort of earthy I guess. I was eating a handful every day for ages. I don't want to ask her in case I'm right and she feels bad. But I might be wrong of course.

Multiple doctors are baffled at this. That one result is so outrageously bad, they can't believe there's no apparent negative effects or obvious causes after much testing in various hospitals over many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sounds like that stuff they feed meat rabbits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Would they have been rolled beans? They are about 25% protein. They can be toxic if not cooked properly.

Look at no 4 here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_vulgaris

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Would they have been rolled beans? They are about 25% protein. They can be toxic if not cooked properly.

Look at no 4 here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_vulgaris

They were manufactured. They were all identical and symmetrical and if you would have been able to roll them along their flat side.

JzWHmJp.png

I am aware that this sounds stupid but I have nowhere else to ask.

They were manufactured. They were all identical and symmetrical and if you would have been able to roll them along their flat side.

JzWHmJp.png

I am aware that this sounds stupid but I have nowhere else to ask.

You're describing a nut of some sort, if it's identical and symmetrical.

What they were made from?
    Only your mother knows.

https://www.google.com/search?q=beet+pulp+nuts+ireland&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=isnv&sxsrf=ACYBGNQecJELKMOzmlOnf7DhTKGd8nfNwg:1570984165643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj464-J1JnlAhUvVRUIHY7cBVMQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=320&bih=454#imgrc=qpkjgFIR4cQ7zM%3A

A nut or pencil or pellet can range in size from a few mms to about 10 with a beet nut.
    Don't mind the length in the picture. A bit of banging the bag off a wall can reduce the length.
    But they're all feed stuffs that's been pressed through a machine.

God love ya..

You're describing a nut of some sort, if it's identical and symmetrical.

What they were made from?
    Only your mother knows.

https://www.google.com/search?q=beet+pulp+nuts+ireland&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=isnv&sxsrf=ACYBGNQecJELKMOzmlOnf7DhTKGd8nfNwg:1570984165643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj464-J1JnlAhUvVRUIHY7cBVMQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=320&bih=454#imgrc=qpkjgFIR4cQ7zM%3A

A nut or pencil or pellet can range in size from a few mms to about 10 with a beet nut.
    Don't mind the length in the picture. A bit of banging the bag off a wall can reduce the length.
    But they're all feed stuffs that's been pressed through a machine.

God love ya..

Thanks for the help. I'll get an appointment again soon and ask if this could be a plausible cause for what's going on. Might ask mum if they say that it could happen.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help. I'll get an appointment again soon and ask if this could be a plausible cause for what's going on. Might ask mum if they say that it could happen.

If it's beet nuts. They could swell in your stomach. Well the beet pulp swells. So I believe the nuts could too?
    The beet nuts wouldn't be far off the diameter of a malteaser.
    If they went off a bit and were fed to you it could cause problems too.

It sounds like beet nuts to me but then I'm not your mother.

You don't have to answer this. It's just for my own curiosity.
    Was your mother vegetarian or vegan and was this her own idea to add some protein to your diet?

If it's beet nuts. They could swell in your stomach. Well the beet pulp swells. So I believe the nuts could too?
    The beet nuts wouldn't be far off the diameter of a malteaser.
    If they went off a bit and were fed to you it could cause problems too.

It sounds like beet nuts to me but then I'm not your mother.

You don't have to answer this. It's just for my own curiosity.
    Was your mother vegetarian or vegan and was this her own idea to add some protein to your diet?

Nah, she and my entire family are meat-eaters. I started going to the gym and asked her if she could buy me protein as I heard that could make me stronger. She took home these things for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is this for real ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    Is this for real ?

It wouldn’t be that unusual to eat animal meal. My father (a very caring man and studied ag science) would encourage us to try some, to show it was not that different to our food.
    I fondly remember eating bran, maize flakes and milk powder out of a freshly opened bag. Good enough for the cattle, good enough for us.
    I still have a munch on beet pulp nuts if I get a chance.
    Maybe this lads mother took it a small step further, it was only a handful a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Some soya bean meal is pelleted, or rather was when it left its point of manufacture. After transport shipping and transport again most have softened and gone back to dust.you see small circles and part nuts through the meal.Soya is between 40 and 50% protein. It is a highly nutritious feed and is used in human food.

O P why not just ask your mother what they were. Tell her you want to get more as you loved the taste.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Excess protein would put the liver and kidneys under pressure. It causes temporary hair loss in calves.

Your urine might have smelt of ammonia.

Advertisement