Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you need an extension to the slurry spreading date?

• 11-10-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭

Got tank on outfarm emptied this morning. Ground is dry overthere. Have a small bit on home farm that wont be spread. So do you need an extension to the end of the spreading period?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No I reckon I'll be ok, there's a small tank still full, if I have to I can pump it into a bigger tank beside it.
    There is a lot of grass here still, so I'm limited where I can spread it. Some dry fields still have good grass on them and bare fields are too wet as I was trying to get wet ground grazed first.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

blue5000 wrote: »
    No I reckon I'll be ok, there's a small tank still full, if I have to I can pump it into a bigger tank beside it.
    There is a lot of grass here still, so I'm limited where I can spread it. Some dry fields still have good grass on them and bare fields are too wet as I was trying to get wet ground grazed first.

Very little spread around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It would help in that contractors are under pressure. Lad with the pipe has full days lined up with 3 weeks so can't fit us in before the deadline without someone else losing out. It's in the shoulders the pipe really pays off as the difference in weight as well as tracking thru gaps etc is night and day compared to a tanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

God no!! Hardly trot a mouse across some of the land. Place saturated. Itd be irresponsible putting out here even before the 15th the way the weather has gone.

Not an issue anyways. All goes out after silage is cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Even a week or 10 days be a big help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No, last loads out few weeks ago..

Land here saturated and the water table is unusually high for this time of year all over Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Got the last of it out last weekend. Ground was surprisingly dry in places and surprisingly wet in others but I was glad to get it out. I’ve all the sucklers in filling it again already. It’s the earliest winter for me in a long time and I’m on fairly good ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

Finished it last weekend too. Still have a few sheds with FYM to clean out, but another few weeks for that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A question for you... Who'd know if you spread past the date on your own land...I know the smell is there but what's the chance of being caught.

I've no farm but had slurry spread during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

A question for you... Who'd know if you spread past the date on your own land...I know the smell is there but what's the chance of being caught.

For me I'd have to travel up and down several roads to spread it all so would be hard to hide it. Even the home farm is on 2 sides of a T junction and most of it can be seen clearly from the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It shows up on satellite inspections. Once the closing date comes, a splash plate spreading will show up if there's a clear day after spreading, grass will show up brown.

I had the umbilical in today and they were making good progress but I had an inspection this morning and didn't have a chance to talk to the lads after milking this evening.

Should have most out today, hopefully, ground is well able to take the spreader and holding up well under cattle as well. Soft in spots though alright.

It shows up on satellite inspections. Once the closing date comes, a splash plate spreading will show up if there's a clear day after spreading, grass will show up brown.

I had the umbilical in today and they were making good progress but I had an inspection this morning and didn't have a chance to talk to the lads after milking this evening.

Should have most out today, hopefully, ground is well able to take the spreader and holding up well under cattle as well. Soft in spots though alright.

Slurry hard to see after the moscha or dribble bar

Reggie. wrote: »
    Slurry hard to see after the moscha or dribble bar

I've never seen the Moscha working in real life but I thought it would look like a splash plate except in splotches around the field?

It still isn't approved here for LESS, is it?

I've never seen the Moscha working in real life but I thought it would look like a splash plate except in splotches around the field?

It still isn't approved here for LESS, is it?

Neighbour has one it's visible alright if the slurry is anyway strong. Afaik it is also likely to be put in the same bracket as splashplate in a few years

Mooooo wrote: »
    Neighbour has one it's visible alright if the slurry is anyway strong. Afaik it is also likely to be put in the same bracket as splashplate in a few years

Splashplate or LESS?

I think Reggie said a while back that it was LESS approved in Germany?

Splashplate or LESS?

I think Reggie said a while back that it was LESS approved in Germany?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was likely to go in the same way as splashplates, banned for certain parts of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Why could the slurry not have been put out all summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

maidhc wrote: »
    Why could the slurry not have been put out all summer?

We had nowhere to put it on outfarm. Too much grass there. Only got it spread there today.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was likely to go in the same way as splashplates, banned for certain parts of the year

It probably will but I believe its classed as LESS in Germany.

Slurry Mark's disappear very quickly from the moscha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I was only in Johnstown Castle yday at a talk about slurry applicators, the moscha is in the very same bracket as a normal splash plate in terms of nitrogen losses, absolutely anything other than slurry dropped almost directly on the ground will result in losses, so your only 3 options are the dribble bar, trailing shoe, or injector, trailing shoe the best of them 3 options for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Pipes will be here tomorrow, in with the neighbour atm. About 60k gallons of slurry left, mostly dairy washings and yard scrapings collected over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭blackcard

Huge number of complaints in the last week of slurry/muck on the roads in the last week. As a Co Co worker, have been f***ed out of it and verbally abused multiple times daily. Appreciate that farmers are under pressure but some need to appreciate that they need to clean roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Reggie. wrote:
    Very little spread around here

are u codding reg even in west Clare all tanks are emptied

lab man wrote: »
    are u codding reg even in west Clare all tanks are emptied

No joke. Very little spread around here. Just couldn't travel the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »
    We had nowhere to put it on outfarm. Too much grass there. Only got it spread there today.

That's the beauty of trailing shoe. Can be put out and not taint the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭moneyheer

Timmaay wrote: »
    I was only in Johnstown Castle yday at a talk about slurry applicators, the moscha is in the very same bracket as a normal splash plate in terms of nitrogen losses, absolutely anything other than slurry dropped almost directly on the ground will result in losses, so your only 3 options are the dribble bar, trailing shoe, or injector, trailing shoe the best of them 3 options for Ireland.
    Was talking to sales man about mastek dribble bars in Virginia show about three years ago and he reckoned injection is the way slurry spreading is heading. Most slurry on continent is injected,or so he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

moneyheer wrote: »
    Was talking to sales man about mastek dribble bars in Virginia show about three years ago and he reckoned injection is the way slurry spreading is heading. Most slurry on continent is injected,or so he said.

T shoe or injecting in only job ,dribble bar is a balls of a job imo,leaves lines of slurry in top of ground

mahoney_j wrote: »
    T shoe or injecting in only job ,dribble bar is a balls of a job imo,leaves lines of slurry in top of ground

Well the cost of injectors is savage so get used to dribble bars I'd say as contractors cant take that financial hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

There something more natural about slurry left on top of ground. Will injected slurry react in the way that nature has designed for its integration within and utilisation by the soil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

alps wrote: »
    There something more natural about slurry left on top of ground. Will injected slurry react in the way that nature has designed for its integration within and utilisation by the soil?

It might actually be better.

All these natural farming methods that use bacteria they have to be sprayed an hour before dark or on a very cloudy day.
    If you go out in the sunlight (UV light) it'll kill any bacteria and benefits you were looking for.

You've heard about the best time to spread slurry is when the tractor wipers are on intermittent?
    Well now you may know why that is, even if the person who made that statement doesn't know either bar there was an increase in grass growth and put the increased nitrogen label on it.

alps wrote: »

Was it Dawg or Waffletractor saying about the injected slurry destroying the soil structure right at the top?

I'd prefer it on top of the ground, tbh, I've seen fields grazed after a dribble bar putting out watery slurry and all you could see were inch high strips of ungrazed grass right where the slurry went and the rest bare to the ground. Maybe problems at high covers alright, my contractor wouldn't spread on a paddock with a cover over 2000 for me yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

mahoney_j wrote: »

How is the trailing shoe any different? Doesn't slice the ground unless the going is fairly soft. In fact if you drop the shoe on hard ground, you'll end up with a much messier job than the dribble bar

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

i rang the dept of ag today about permission to spread and was told to ring the co.council , ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

PMU wrote: »
    i rang the dept of ag today about permission to spread and was told to ring the co.council , ffs
    Well, did you ring them? If you got the go ahead you'd want them to put it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

no, I had enough trouble with them this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

PMU wrote: »

I believe the co. councils are waiting for the Dept of Ag to give the derogation. Not the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

There’s tankers out with slurry around here. The neighbor was at it there few days ago before the rain - it wasn’t soiled water at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    There’s tankers out with slurry around here. The neighbor was at it there few days ago before the rain - it wasn’t soiled water at all!

All depends on who your neighbours are! One prick of a neighbour here. One foot out of line by me and guaranteed being reported to the council.

Advertisement