Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Mechanics course??!!!

Options
  • 09-10-2019 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hi everyone.

I've been trying to find motorcycle course to become a qualified bike mechanic but the few PLC type course seem only to be for person knowledge and hobbyists. Ive tried my local garage but they wont take anyone on without the proper qualifications. Its getting f*ucking frustrating at this point that there is nothing available in Ireland for bikes unlike cars or trucks.

Does anyone know is there any course or solas apprenticeships in Ireland or up north that qualifies you to become a full bike mechanic?

Any help would be great appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, I did what you want to do, a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time ago: gave up my job here and went to the UK to do it, full-time.

But I'm cured now :)

There is almost no motorcycle 'trade' here, in the sense of the car trade with apprenticeships etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just follow Del-boy on youtube...you'll be sorted for life.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Apparently there is no motorcycle specific qualification available, according to the RSA. Take this as Chinese whispers but I heard this from a source I personally trust.

It seems like the best method is to become a car mechanic and when you're qualified, you can probably go and apply to bike shops... or start your own independent shop. If I had my time back, I'd do a mechanical apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Wouldn't a main dealer run an apprentice course - BMW, Honda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

There is no apprentice route to become a qualified motorcycle mechanic in the republic.

Uk is the only way

• Advertisement

There used to be qualification from either Kevin Street or Bolton Street College (can't remember which), other than that, this is all I can turn up here:

https://careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=19933

http://www.stjohnscollege.ie/courses-2/construction-engineering/motor-cycle/

Full time course, it's in Cork.

If you are prepared to go the UK, this looks good: https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/inside-triumph/careers-uk/dealer%20apprenticeship%20scheme

http://www.martectraining.co.uk/motorcycle-technician-apprenticeship

As mentioned, I did mine in the UK, and most of us in that year are long gone from the trade: it wasn't sustainable as a career, pay-wise. This is why there are so many one-man outfits here. There is no 'dealer' structure here. Proof of the pudding: look at how many of use import our bikes...........

Further afield, I know someone who went to Germany, and one to the US.............big steps, those.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I should have thought of St John's College, Cork. I've been in the workshop and seen the bikes in bits.
    They used do an adult ed. beginner's mechanic night class my sister attended and enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 killianb2001

Yea the UK looks like the best way atm, not something i wanna do but if i have to i will.

Just follow Del-boy on youtube...you'll be sorted for life.......:D

Never watched the workshop's dell-b*llocks series?:D:D:D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3MDXUT8RtA

:):):):):):)Appreciate all the help lads!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

galwaytt wrote: »
    There used to be qualification from either Kevin Street or Bolton Street College (can't remember which)....

Yeh, there used to be a City and Guilds qualification you could get from a course a guy was giving in Bolton St - but that was the early 90s!

newmember? wrote: »
    Yeh, there used to be a City and Guilds qualification you could get from a course a guy was giving in Bolton St - but that was the early 90s!

showing my age, lol.

How can there have been nothing since though ???

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    showing my age, lol.

How can there have been nothing since though ???

No demand. If we had a bigger market for bikes, and Irish people serviced their vehicles, then we could have a bike trade with apprenticeships etc. Instead we buy our bikes in the UK and not a lot of servicing is done so there is no trade to pay for training.

The car trade is running into similar problems now. In the bust they stopped taking on apprentices and now they can't get trained staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Up north could be an option but not sure how the qualifications work out.

Saw it mentioned on an old biker.ie post

https://www.nrc.ac.uk/search/?keywords=Motorcycle

Del2005 wrote: »
    No demand. If we had a bigger market for bikes, and Irish people serviced their vehicles, then we could have a bike trade with apprenticeships etc. Instead we buy our bikes in the UK and not a lot of servicing is done so there is no trade to pay for training.

The car trade is running into similar problems now. In the bust they stopped taking on apprentices and now they can't get trained staff.

...tbh, the 'trade' here as always been poor, compared to SIMI etc. I remember Waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day trying to get Priory or Danfay to back something (else) from an industry perspective, and they really couldn't have been more negative.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Irish Bike Mechanics on FB.

Hope it's of some help.

Advertisement