Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/book-kavanaugh-accusers-attack-motivated-by-defending-roe-v-wade

Nothing to see here. False accusations aren't real and there is never any ulteriour motive to a false accusation of rape, creepiness or mysoginy.

This American administration may not be to your taste, but Brett Kavanagh and Donald Trump between have been falsely accused on three occasions, now, how what the f##k do you expect to achieve by falsely accusing the most powerful men in the US...what do you think those guys are going to do.

Has anyone seen the figures from the US Universities that introduced kangaroo courts on campus to clamp down on the alleged rape culture....they've been in existence since 2011...it's odd that these figures are not public knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i didnt read the article,but the framing is amusing...me me me me me

https://twitter.com/PetiteNicoco/status/1170332872168935426

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

silverharp wrote: »

Sure, let the men stay at home and mind the kids. It's hardly that big of a deal. American gender stuff is pretty weird (and I think that's where a lot of our issues actually come from) as the woman can do what she wants but the man should still give up his life for the family. Honestly, I'd be tempted to ask the wife to take on some hours and I'd take off some hours or work form home to mind the kid. Like, what husband wouldn't want to be a part of their child's life?

Also, has anybody hear heard of the Negligent Rape laws in Sweden? It's pretty much rape if the woman never explicetly says yes and god knows, beyong an audio recording, how you would prove that.

What's interesting is that if any type of sex is rape if it is never explicetely said yes, then how in the world is the woman not accused of rape as it does take two to tango? What's very interesting, and worrying, is that the human rights groups in Sweden are still saying the often qouted line of there's still further to go.

This doesn't actually affect me, but it's definetly time people stopped seeing women as victims and instead saw them as equal people that can be both good and bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭iptba

Sure, let the men stay at home and mind the kids. It's hardly that big of a deal. American gender stuff is pretty weird (and I think that's where a lot of our issues actually come from) as the woman can do what she wants but the man should still give up his life for the family. Honestly, I'd be tempted to ask the wife to take on some hours and I'd take off some hours or work form home to mind the kid. Like, what husband wouldn't want to be a part of their child's life.
    Not sure it’s specifically a US thing for women to want men to earn well, which will generally require full-time work among other things. I recall reading a study about doctors: men said they had a greater choice of partners from doing medicine while women said the pool of suitable people was smaller which presumably because they wanted a male partner that wanted to earn at a similar level to them if not earning more, despite the fact one might think a medical career might give more financial freedom.

Of course, it’s not the end of the world if women do have such preferences. But they then have a vested interest in men not being discriminated in a way that directly or indirectly affects their careers.

Why is a good man so hard to find? Blame the war on boys and men

September 27, 2019

By Stephanie Gutmann

https://nypost.com/2019/09/27/why-is-a-good-man-so-hard-to-find-blame-the-war-on-boys-and-men/

This jumps around highlighting various issues. Though it's a bit superficial in some ways.

The stamp duty in Delhi levied by the local government varies, depending on whether the buyer of the property is male or female. For males, the stamp duty charge is 6% as against 4% for females. The charge for joint purpose for both male and female is 5%.

https://www.proptiger.com/guide/post/demystifying-stamp-duty-registration-charges-in-delhi
    Some states like Assam and Union territories like Delhi and Puducherry
    have different rates for male and female categories. Assam levies 4%
    stamp duty and 1% registration fees on women and 5% stamp duty and 2%
    registration fees on men. Delhi and Puducherry also levy less charges on
    women.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/70199925.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

iptba wrote: »

India is still a country with great inequality, the earning potential of men is much much higher than it is for women.

I would say in this case its a product of the environment than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think you need to pick your fights.

You will do well to find a country where men have a stronger position in society than India.

It needs to be redressed, and I have absolutely no problem with positive discrimination where its appropriate, it should be encouraged.

Calhoun wrote: »
    India is still a country with great inequality, the earning potential of men is much much higher than it is for women.

I would say in this case its a product of the environment than anything.
    I am not knowledgeable on the earning potential of men and women in India. I do know that quite a lot of women along with men to subcontractor-type work for Irish companies and I imagine discrimination based on pay would not be allowed.

Anyway, one tends to often hear one side of the story, with disadvantages women can face in either the developed or developing world. I think it is useful to keep track of the other side of the ledger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    and I have absolutely no problem with positive discrimination

Men and women are equal arnt they?, no need for positive discrimination. Equal opportunity, let everyone battle it out, the best will rise to the top regardless of gender.

• Advertisement

Men and women are equal arnt they?, no need for positive discrimination. Equal opportunity, let everyone battle it out, the best will rise to the top regardless of gender.

That's fine if everybody is starting from the same place.

They aren't.

Saying is everyone is equal does not mean that everyone has equal opportunity.

I am not knowledgeable on the earning potential of men and women in India. I do know that quite a lot of women along with men to subcontractor-type work for Irish companies and I imagine discrimination based on pay would not be allowed.

Anyway, one tends to often hear one side of the story, with disadvantages women can face in either the developed or developing world. I think it is useful to keep track of the other side of the ledger.

Sorry now -

I cant stand for this.

Women are at a horrendous disadvantage in the developing world.

Work away at both sides of the ledger all you want, but if we are talking about places like India or Pakistan, then I'm sorry but men have the whip hand both in the family and in the workplace; and the pendulum has a long long way to swing before we can talk about anything remotely close to equality.

Lets not have daft arguments please.

Your assumptions are incorrect, allot of the companies outsourcing overseas don't actually care about the individuals they care about the bottom line of the cost being charged to them.

Sure there are companies who will have fairer policy than others but for he most part India is very much a patriarchy.

I think it does a disservice to equal rights to call out discrimination in countries where the decks are so balanced to one sex. Especially without knowing the background behind why that might be.

It makes sense to call it out in developing countries because certain sections of our society believe that things are unequal when they are not and as such more rights gets granted to one sex.

I'd be careful of calling foreign countries patriarchal as top down sexism is really a western concept and I think all countries have different levels of power given to men and women. As well as that, there is a bit of a precedent for saying that 'brown' (yes I know) countries need western influence, and, as well as that, we're getting our views of foreign countries from the same loonies that are saying we have a rape culture in Ireland.

It's the same thing in regards to segregrated dining areas for men and women. The western people say that it is sexist against women, but a lot of the local people say its actually sexist against men as they are segregrated from the women and childrne.

I'm not saying India is a utopian for women, but it's more complicated than saying it's a utopian for men.

I'd be careful of calling foreign countries patriarchal as top down sexism is really a western concept and I think all countries have different levels of power given to men and women. As well as that, there is a bit of a precedent for saying that 'brown' (yes I know) countries need western influence, and, as well as that, we're getting our views of foreign countries from the same loonies that are saying we have a rape culture in Ireland.

It's the same thing in regards to segregrated dining areas for men and women. The western people say that it is sexist against women, but a lot of the local people say its actually sexist against men as they are segregrated from the women and childrne.

I'm not saying India is a utopian for women, but it's more complicated than saying it's a utopian for men.

Have you actually been to India? What other word would you use for Patriarchy where women's opinions are looked upon lesser than men and rape is a real risk on a daily basis?

Additionally idon't think either of us were arguing its a utopia for men but if we want our discussion on sexism to have credibility we need to compare societies that are much more closely aligned.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Have you actually been to India? What other word would you use for Patriarchy where women's opinions are looked upon lesser than men and rape is a real risk on a daily basis?

Additionally idon't think either of us were arguing its a utopia for men but if we want our discussion on sexism to have credibility we need to compare societies that are much more closely aligned.

I've never been to India, but I do know a lot of women who travelled through it and loved it.

It's quite a large place, as big as Europe, and very diverse. Interestingly enough, a large portion of it was actually matriarchal a couple of hundred years ago (same with vietnam).

Do I know what's going on in India? Not particularly as a lot of our news is a little bit skewed to seeing India based upon preconcieved notions.

I don't really have an argument here, but our perception of sexism (imo because it's comes from christian societies which has a bit of a hierararchal bent) has a very top down mentality. One party is weak, the other is strong.

Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong, but I imagine what we are hearing about a country with as much of a population of Europe may be a little bit skewed based upon preconcieved notions.

I've never been to India, but I do know a lot of women who travelled through it and loved it.

It's quite a large place, as big as Europe, and very diverse. Interestingly enough, a large portion of it was actually matriarchal a couple of hundred years ago (same with vietnam).

Do I know what's going on in India? Not particularly as a lot of our news is a little bit skewed to seeing India based upon preconcieved notions.

I don't really have an argument here, but our perception of sexism (imo because it's comes from christian societies which has a bit of a hierararchal bent) has a very top down mentality. One party is weak, the other is strong.

Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong, but I imagine what we are hearing about a country with as much of a population of Europe may be a little bit skewed based upon preconcieved notions.

I dont get what you mean by top-down.

Conventionally - when we talk about sexism - there is an underpin of power imbalance.

That can be wealth imbalance, it can be political power imbalance, it can be physical strength imbalance, it can be education imbalance, it can be income imbalance.

Where one party is at a distinct advantage in society to the other in some or all of the above.

How does Top Down come into it - I'm not being smart, but i dont know what you mean?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I dont get what you mean by top-down.

Conventionally - when we talk about sexism - there is an underpin of power imbalance.

That can be wealth imbalance, it can be political power imbalance, it can be physical strength imbalance, it can be education imbalance, it can be income imbalance.

Where one party is at a distinct advantage in society to the other in some or all of the above.

How does Top Down come into it - I'm not being smart, but i dont know what you mean?

Oh God, I am awful at formulating my thoughts, but I'm going to give it my best shot :P

I do believe that the term sexism is wrong in that it denotes a hierarchal relationship where one party is weaker/preyed upon and another party is stronger/predatory.

I guess I believe that sexism is 'reciprical' where mysoginy feeds into misandry, vice versa and both genders have their own sphere of power that kind of fuels the other. Such as men being seen as inherently stronger/more dangerous leads into a protectiveness towards women where a man intimidating a woman physically is seen as an abuse of power, in the same way (until recently imo) a woman yelling at a man in public/belliting a man was seen as an abuse of the 'power' due to the percieved imbalance of physical power.

So, instead of hierarchal the above paints a rather more 'recipricol' nature of sexism where both genders have their own areas of expertise. The man physical power and the woman emotional power.

So, I feel like their is an inherent bias of seeing sexism in a hierarchal nature.

I am sorry for the word vomit :o

Well i have been to India 3-4 times and have interacted in ways a tourist never would. I have seen the sexism and what i would class as a very patriarchal society. I post on these threads as much as you guys looking for balance in the west when it comes to men's rights.

I feel that getting outraged about it when it comes to cultures and practices not even remotely close to ours does men's rights and equality in general a disservice.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, interesting peice on the beguiled here.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/the-beguiled-sofia-coppola-colin-farrell-female-gaze-castration-1201847789/

I like to read about the movies as, post me too, there does seem to be a rise in the toxicity. Not sure the movies actually toxic as it's just a retelling of the storey, but still interesting insight into some people's mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I went to a primary school where the principle decided that all boys were "bad" and had to play football to "keep out of trouble" during break times while the girls could do whatever they liked. Being the weird kid who didn't like football after repeatedly getting in trouble for not playing I ended up walking around the outside of the pitch every single break as it was the only thing I could do without being given lines to take home.

To make things worse same woman ended up as my 4th-6th class teacher (small school) and called me out in front of the whole class multiple times for walking around the outside of the pitch like a "girl". Not playing football was bad enough in the eyes of my classmates needless to say that made things considerably worse.

This was the late 90s / early 00s.... I thought it was just the norm and accepted it. How my eyes were opened when I went to secondary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Interesting that my local paper came up with these opinion pieces a day apart

Lad culture: Have we stopped raising gentlemen?

https://www.echolive.ie/opinion/Lad-culture-Have-we-stopped-raising-gentlemen-f771b8c2-6867-4e58-9f50-575e0a067673-ds

and

There is no ‘safe’ place to be female

https://www.echolive.ie/opinion/There-is-no-safe-place-to-be-female-b60c2303-79b8-46d4-84cb-6b7ce8c81e2f-ds

The author of the second piece is the producer of the opinion line on 96fm

"There is no ‘safe’ place to be female. You may as well tell the rain to go away as tell a woman to live in a way that is sure to prevent her from being sexually assaulted or raped. The act of being female in the world is, in itself, risky.

Men are insulted by this. They are insulted by the insinuation that all men are potential rapists.

But, when you wear no label, and we know the experiences of our sisters and the statistics are what they are, how are we to know?

We know, of course we know that most men are wonderful, kind, gentle and loving. Thankfully, most of us experience men like you every day.

Men who are insulted by the notion that a woman could be afraid of you purely because some men are rapists, what are you doing about it? "

What in hell are innocent men meant to do about that?

Guys who behave like this are likely the very opposite when they are in the company of their wife or children. Which is showing two sides to a person.

Yeah, I personally don't like the idea of being seen as a wild animal who needs a female chaperone :P

Also, apparently the false accusation(?) during the Ulster Rape Trial is okay as they were 'disrespectful'.

Hmmm, interesting peice on the beguiled here.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/the-beguiled-sofia-coppola-colin-farrell-female-gaze-castration-1201847789/

I like to read about the movies as, post me too, there does seem to be a rise in the toxicity. Not sure the movies actually toxic as it's just a retelling of the storey, but still interesting insight into some people's mentality.

I think the toxicity is more the retelling of existing stories as female ones rather than coming up with original content. Its basically just laziness and when it flops they just say its due to men.

Case in point being the new batwoman which is built around her being a woman, part of the LGBT community and showing that women are better than men. There is no real character development other than these points.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Interesting that my local paper came up with these opinion pieces a day apart

Lad culture: Have we stopped raising gentlemen?

https://www.echolive.ie/opinion/Lad-culture-Have-we-stopped-raising-gentlemen-f771b8c2-6867-4e58-9f50-575e0a067673-ds

and

There is no ‘safe’ place to be female

https://www.echolive.ie/opinion/There-is-no-safe-place-to-be-female-b60c2303-79b8-46d4-84cb-6b7ce8c81e2f-ds

The author of the second piece is the producer of the opinion line on 96fm

"There is no ‘safe’ place to be female. You may as well tell the rain to go away as tell a woman to live in a way that is sure to prevent her from being sexually assaulted or raped. The act of being female in the world is, in itself, risky.

Men are insulted by this. They are insulted by the insinuation that all men are potential rapists.

But, when you wear no label, and we know the experiences of our sisters and the statistics are what they are, how are we to know?

We know, of course we know that most men are wonderful, kind, gentle and loving. Thankfully, most of us experience men like you every day.

Men who are insulted by the notion that a woman could be afraid of you purely because some men are rapists, what are you doing about it? "

What in hell are innocent men meant to do about that?

I love pieces like this which is basically blaming all the woes in the world on one demographic. Try and replace men with any form of other group and you will be in hot water very fast.

For the first topic, i think its a case of we cannot raise gentlemen. Strong men are beacons of toxic masculinity and certain sections of society just don't want men to be raised in that manner.

The second article is just pure clickbait ****e, its so condescending in its moral authority that the author seems to know best and all men need to do is listen and stop supporting the rape culture in their midst.

I think the only way the type of person the author will be happy is when we regress to sexual segregation.

• Advertisement

I'd love to know if she thinks that article applies to her husband and two young sons?

Maybe her father if he's alive as well

Does she view her two sons as potential rapists?

"There is no sign on a man’s forehead that says he is a rapist

But, when you wear no label, and we know the experiences of our sisters and the statistics are what they are, how are we to know? "

I'd love to know if she thinks that article applies to her husband and two young sons?

Maybe her father if he's alive as well

Does she view her two sons as potential rapists?

"There is no sign on a man’s forehead that says he is a rapist

But, when you wear no label, and we know the experiences of our sisters and the statistics are what they are, how are we to know? "

Hopefully she doesn't mess them up, lots of evidence online of feminist raising very depressed young men because they are told from an early age how dangerous they are.

In regards to the two articles it is annoying how belittling men is seen as some motherly/feminine virtue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It really would be interesting to see some research done into the parenting style of those who raised convicted rapists. It really doesn't seem to much of a stretch to me to think that a modern female supremacist / fourth wave feminist would be more likely to raise a rapist than someone less caught up in the gender wars.

Experts tell us that rape is less a crime of the libido, than one committed out of desire to assert one's power over another person. It seems to me that a boy raised by a mother who teaches him that his gender is "toxic", his normal teenage behaviour (e.g. looking at porn) is "problematic" and whose entire attitude towards men is that they should be emasculated is one who is far more likely to end up with a twisted desire to display his power over a woman.

I think mydogny/misandry is created by people in the persons life rather than some hegemonic vague power.

Tbh, I actually doubt feminism thinks xyz creates rapists. They just don't like it and decide to gaslight it.

• Advertisement

I think mydogny/misandry is created by people in the persons life rather than some hegemonic vague power.

Tbh, I actually doubt feminism thinks xyz creates rapists. They just don't like it and decide to gaslight it.
    I have come across feminists with different theories about domestic violence/abuse which ignore how often females are perpetrators or the abuse is reciprocal.

Sleepy wrote: »
    It really would be interesting to see some research done into the parenting style of those who raised convicted rapists. It really doesn't seem to much of a stretch to me to think that a modern female supremacist / fourth wave feminist would be more likely to raise a rapist than someone less caught up in the gender wars.

Experts tell us that rape is less a crime of the libido, than one committed out of desire to assert one's power over another person. It seems to me that a boy raised by a mother who teaches him that his gender is "toxic", his normal teenage behaviour (e.g. looking at porn) is "problematic" and whose entire attitude towards men is that they should be emasculated is one who is far more likely to end up with a twisted desire to display his power over a woman.

As an aside, if we accept the whole power thing being the proximate motivation for rape then I don't understand how misunderstanding consent (which is portrayed as a massive issue now) would lead to most rapes since understanding non-consent should apparently be the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Merely disagreeing with a woman is so called mansplaining now.

https://twitter.com/andrewdoyle_com/status/1189604392049238017

Merely disagreeing with a woman is so called mansplaining now.

https://twitter.com/andrewdoyle_com/status/1189604392049238017

IMO, a lot worse than the word mansplaining.

Ignore belittlement is the best way to deal with it. He should have ignored her or politely confronted her if it continued. Your not a dog/child and you shouldnt allow anybody to speak to you like one.

Also, what was she threatening to complain about I wonder?

It's worth considering how many women enter the industry of Psychology in the US. It's not a industry with a majority of men anymore. The ratio changed dramatically in the late 80s and 90s. Same with sociology and other "sciences". They're doing a lot of the research (and I used the term lightly), and frankly, it shows in the papers coming out these days.

Feminism is made up of various kinds of people.. there's the foot soldiers we see spouting rubbish and making a nuisance of themselves. There's the spokespeople who write books, and spout hate/bile about men. There's the trainers who infect Universities and encourage the spread of their beliefs... And then there's the people in the background who develop feminism in science and politics. They're not announcing themselves to be feminists but it's there in the research papers they release or the organisations funded to support women or exclude men.

I don't believe in any similar organisation to the supposed patriarchy, however, there are groups of women out there whose purpose is to promote and strengthen feminism. They're smart, and know how to get their message across using misinformation, extreme examples to make moderates look better, and other forms of behavior.

So I wouldn't be surprised if feminism believed xyz creates rapists or that they're using it to slip something in elsewhere unnoticed.

It's worth considering how many women enter the industry of Psychology in the US. It's not a industry with a majority of men anymore. The ratio changed dramatically in the late 80s and 90s. Same with sociology and other "sciences". They're doing a lot of the research (and I used the term lightly), and frankly, it shows in the papers coming out these days.

Feminism is made up of various kinds of people.. there's the foot soldiers we see spouting rubbish and making a nuisance of themselves. There's the spokespeople who write books, and spout hate/bile about men. There's the trainers who infect Universities and encourage the spread of their beliefs... And then there's the people in the background who develop feminism in science and politics. They're not announcing themselves to be feminists but it's there in the research papers they release or the organisations funded to support women or exclude men.

I don't believe in any similar organisation to the supposed patriarchy, however, there are groups of women out there whose purpose is to promote and strengthen feminism. They're smart, and know how to get their message across using misinformation, extreme examples to make moderates look better, and other forms of behavior.

So I wouldn't be surprised if feminism believed xyz creates rapists or that they're using it to slip something in elsewhere unnoticed.

Yeah, I kind of agree with this tbh. Psychology seems to attract a certian toxic personality type (a soft skill version of the type of person who is attracted to boxing) and there is definetly a bit of misandry in psychology. Some people have theorised that men are more diagnosed with personality disorders in regards to having soft skills (emotional manipulation, mirroring, and even gaslighting) that occur more in femininity.

I also worry about men going to therapists for deppression as I feel like there's an element of seeing the man as danger to others more so than a woman would be seen as a danger to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

IMO, a lot worse than the word mansplaining.

Ignore belittlement is the best way to deal with it. He should have ignored her or politely confronted her if it continued. Your not a dog/child and you shouldnt allow anybody to speak to you like one.

Also, what was she threatening to complain about I wonder?

Wow she should be reported for that, blatant sexism

And a sure sign she has no argument or response to what he was going to say

Yeah, I kind of agree with this tbh. Psychology seems to attract a certian toxic personality type (a soft skill version of the type of person who is attracted to boxing) and there is definetly a bit of misandry in psychology. Some people have theorised that men are more diagnosed with personality disorders in regards to having soft skills (emotional manipulation, mirroring, and even gaslighting) that occur more in femininity.

Many graduates of Women's Studies entered psychology and sociology areas when they couldn't find work with their primary degree.

Many graduates of Women's Studies entered psychology and sociology areas when they couldn't find work with their primary degree.

They wish lol, most of them are so tired of working for minimum wage they are out protesting the injustice from the patriarchy and tried take over all forms of entertainment enjoyed publicly.

Its funny allot of the gaming websites have started to go under in the past year or so because of the woke anti-male take. Just this week some of the last hold outs who are under new management had a small protest causing a million dollar deal to fall apart. One member has been fired, all the others have to keep to their area of focus no politics, if they don't like it then get out.

Awful article in the evening Echo

Women in Cork have had to quit their jobs following sexual assaults at Christmas parties

SEXUAL assaults at Christmas office parties have led to a number of people in Cork quitting their jobs, the director of Cork’s Sexual Violence Centre has revealed.

With the Christmas party season now starting to get underway, Ms Crilly said she wanted to ensure people get home safely, adding that men in society have a duty to call out any bad behaviour by their colleagues or friends.

“I want to make sure every woman and girl gets home safe this Christmas,” she said.

“This year I want us to call the guys out. Something as simple as someone threatening not to go out with their friend anymore as a result of their behaviour could be enough to deter them,” she said.

“If you see a man going home with a woman she never had any interest in previously, the chances are it could be non-consensual.”

[/Am surely the opposite could be the case as well?

Ms Crilly emphasised that the most difficult part of an assault can be the mind games afterwards: “It’s when a guy messes with their head and leads them to believe this was consensual that things become really difficult. Often they just want to ask ‘why me’ and what they did ever do to them.

Could it be as simle as they guy belived it was consensual and that he isn't messing with her head?

“Women feel afraid of reporting these crimes because they won’t be believed. I would like to see that reversed so men are afraid of committing the crime because of the conviction they will face. They need to know that if they do this there will be consequences.”

So much for the men being innocent until proven guilty

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Women-in-Cork-have-had-to-quit-their-jobs-following-sexual-assaults-at-Christmas-parties-c5ea264f-7d93-40fc-b1d6-ca34c9dc300a-ds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Dontspeak wrote: »
    Ah lads. Sexism happens, both men and women suffer but it's different leagues when you think about it. Women have it far worse. It should be stamped out but let's not kid ourselves here.

How many times have you read all women are potential rapists?

Awful article in the evening Echo

Women in Cork have had to quit their jobs following sexual assaults at Christmas parties

SEXUAL assaults at Christmas office parties have led to a number of people in Cork quitting their jobs, the director of Cork’s Sexual Violence Centre has revealed.

With the Christmas party season now starting to get underway, Ms Crilly said she wanted to ensure people get home safely, adding that men in society have a duty to call out any bad behaviour by their colleagues or friends.

“I want to make sure every woman and girl gets home safe this Christmas,” she said.

“This year I want us to call the guys out. Something as simple as someone threatening not to go out with their friend anymore as a result of their behaviour could be enough to deter them,” she said.

“If you see a man going home with a woman she never had any interest in previously, the chances are it could be non-consensual.”

[/Am surely the opposite could be the case as well?

Ms Crilly emphasised that the most difficult part of an assault can be the mind games afterwards: “It’s when a guy messes with their head and leads them to believe this was consensual that things become really difficult. Often they just want to ask ‘why me’ and what they did ever do to them.

Could it be as simle as they guy belived it was consensual and that he isn't messing with her head?

“Women feel afraid of reporting these crimes because they won’t be believed. I would like to see that reversed so men are afraid of committing the crime because of the conviction they will face. They need to know that if they do this there will be consequences.”

So much for the men being innocent until proven guilty

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Women-in-Cork-have-had-to-quit-their-jobs-following-sexual-assaults-at-Christmas-parties-c5ea264f-7d93-40fc-b1d6-ca34c9dc300a-ds

Do what? Have consensual sex while under the influence of alcohol? And it's a mind game to argue that you can consent while drunk?

Also, the part in bold is absurd. Women will often not be in anyway flirty with a guy they like and this is especially true in business settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ms Crilly...

Any relation to Father Ted?

Even he couldn’t have come out with anything so daft as the nonsense that unfortunate woman is spouting.

If there was very real sexual assaults then these women should be reporting to the Guards but i suspect like most examples of this crap it was a drunken mistake which was regretted afterwards and these idiots are misrepresenting it.

In 2019 if i was single i would be very very careful about doing anything within the office as it could just come back and bite you in the ass.

Looking at the picture though gives more background into it, more than likely someone with a career in gender studies that needs to keep the lights on in their organization. Yes that probably is a bit petty but click bait **** like this that looks to blacken a gender just annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I thought the Irish Times were contractually obliged to hire them?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Even in the US are there many primary degrees in Women's studies? I always took it that either they were just modules in general degree courses or that they were post degree courses?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Even in the US are there many primary degrees in Women's studies? I always took it that either they were just modules in general degree courses or that they were post degree courses?

Dunno... I always assumed, like you, that it was a module of their sociology, psychology or anthropology degrees. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there was such degrees solely aimed at Women studies or feminism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe

Yes, this has been an issue ever since the Sokal affair in 1996. When Alan Sokal professor physics at the University of London got an article "Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity" published in an academic journal of postmodern cultural studies arguing that quantum gravity was merely a social and linguistic construct. 3 weeks after it was published he revealed it was a hoax.

More recently, last in 2017 three academics behind what has been called the Grievance Studies or Sokal Squared Affair publicly revealed that they had seven papers accepted in various "academic" journals. Of these four were published online. These included articles on rape culture in dog parks which
    gained special recognition for excellence from its journal, Gender, Place, and Culture, a highly ranked journal that leads the field of feminist geography. The journal honored it as one of twelve leading pieces in feminist geography as a part of the journal’s 25th anniversary celebration.

One other article they had accepted was a feminist rewrite of a part of Chapter 12 of Volume 1 of Mein Kampf with fashionable buzzwords switched in. :eek:

I think I'll let the threesome behind the Grievance Studies Affair say more about the standard of research in these articles.
    The goal was always to use what the existing literature offered to get some little bit of lunacy or depravity to be acceptable at the highest levels of intellectual respectability within the field. Therefore, each paper began with something absurd or deeply unethical (or both) that we wanted to forward or conclude. We then made the existing peer-reviewed literature do our bidding in the attempt to get published in the academic canon.

This is the primary point of the project: What we just described is not knowledge production; it’s sophistry. That is, it’s a forgery of knowledge that should not be mistaken for the real thing.

Now, you can make up your mind about the validity of articles from such journals as Gender, Place, and Culture et al or the reasons why they are published. :rolleyes:

Any system that relies on peer-related approval is bound to become abused over time.

The problem is that while these hoaxes revealed the weaknesses in the system, the system hasn't been changed to prevent further oddball ideas. Which is why so much feminist driven research papers are passed on review and make it into mainstream psychology, where they're "tested" in the RL. The shift in the numbers of women vs men in psychology (many of whom were indoctrinated from women studies programs or had radical feminist lecturers) reinforce that ability for such papers to be passed, along with the fear (for both genders) of being labelled in some way as being anti-female.

Alas, the effects of such research when applied to people tends to happen over the long term, and there is a strong hesitancy within Psychological organisations to admit any mistakes. Which is why concepts and definitions are altered slightly over time as opposed to being retracted completely, or made known to the public. They know that few people pay enough attention to see how the changes occur.

Best recent example is the way the attitude and perception of Transgenderism has changed in the US. Once a mental disease, it has gone through various definitions and treatments, to the point where different organisations are promoting it as being an acceptable theory for psychological development.

• Advertisement

I have an even better version of what your describing Klaz, https://www.foxnews.com/us/academic-journal-accepts-feminist-mein-kampf.

I know its a fox news article but i watched it on youtube before the article just gives some background.

Advertisement