Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘Booking’ Deposit on a house.

Options
  • 12-10-2019 10:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Looking at a development later and they are looking for a 5000 Euro ‘booking’ deposit.

Anyone know offhand if this is refundable if you change your mind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Yes. Completely refundable up until contracts are signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ask / read the small print to be sure, but I'd expect so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Yes, booking deposit is fully refundable without deduction from it, up until Contracts are signed and exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

It’s is refundable but ideally you would want to pay it to an auctioneer who has to hold it in client account rather than builder directly. Not that it’s a problem in current climate of builder going bust! But we paid a deposit directly to builder and then didn’t go ahead. Just took around three weeks for the money to be refunded back from builder and required a follow up reminder. I’d assumed it would be quicker with auctioneer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lb1992

Can anyone tell me how quick you usually have to pay a booking deposit if your offer is accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

lb1992 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how quick you usually have to pay a booking deposit if your offer is accepted?

It's usually paid within a few days of going sale agreed. The quicker the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

On a new build? Usually ASAP, basically that day or the next working day + however long the cash takes to clear to their account. Well that's how it was, maybe with covid there's less urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Booking deposit is what you put down to hold....

What's been happening in new build is people queue and pick a house no. Off the plans and go from there.... Basically they will want to see mortgage in principle and they will want the deposit that day to hold.

Advertisement