Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas hob change from mains to bottled gas

Options
  • 08-09-2019 11:51am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what would need to be done here?
    I've been offered an almost new 5 ring gas hob, it was being used with mains gas.

I have bottled gas, would I need to change / adapt anything before using it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Just wondering what would need to be done here?
    I've been offered an almost new 5 ring gas hob, it was being used with mains gas.

I have bottled gas, would I need to change / adapt anything before using it?

You will need to leave it alone and get a Registered Gas Installer out who will check it for any issues, convert it as needed, install it correctly and ensure that it functions correctly. This is not a DIY job.

You would first have to find out if there is a conversion kit(not guaranteed) which you should be able to do by contacting the manufacturers with the serial number, once you have a conversion kit your RGI can convert it and then fit for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

K.Flyer wrote: »
    You will need to leave it alone and get a Registered Gas Installer out who will check it for any issues, convert it as needed, install it correctly and ensure that it functions correctly. This is not a DIY job.

I understand that... I'd no intention of tackling it myself.

Gary71 any idea of costs of conversion kits, if available?

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I understand that... I'd no intention of tackling it myself.

Gary71 any idea of costs of conversion kits, if available?

I wouldn’t expect them to be more than 20-30 Euros if that, usually just a small kit is required but I haven’t ordered one myself in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check with the original owners on the how well this hob worked and take a look at the information plate? It wouldn't surprise me if the hob was working poorly because it already had jets for LPG (bottled gas butane and propane).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Charlie 08

Similar query here..
    we're getting rid of our LPG gas tank but want to keep our gas cooker. How much to change from tank to red cylinder(bottled gas) set up?

Charlie 08 wrote: »
    Similar query here..
    we're getting rid of our LPG gas tank but want to keep our gas cooker. How much to change from tank to red cylinder(bottled gas) set up?

Nothing it shouldn't need changing.

Great thanks.Somebody said I might need a different valve/regulator for the cylinder.

Great thanks.Somebody said I might need a different valve/regulator for the cylinder.

At the cylinder end yes because I don't think the regulator on your LPG tank will even fit or be any use for bottled gas but nothing should need changing on the stove. Red bottle is normally butane but LPG is a variable mix of butane and propane. All you probably need are a couple of the yellow butane bottles (one as a spare) and a jumbo regulator.

Great,thanks for your help!

• Advertisement

Great,thanks for your help!

The advantage with the red propane bottles is that propane doesn't "freeze" up in the winter. When it gets frosty Butane under pressure won't go from liquid to a gas. So it might depend on where you live, here the odd time the Butane would be slow on a cold morning (kettle of hot water can sort that). The advantage of the Butane is that the bottles are available everywhere especially in the country where even many of the local shops keep a stock of them and changing them is just a push on pull off regulator (locks in place).

Advertisement