Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whose services do I need?

Options
  • 09-10-2019 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,

Sorry about probably stupid question but I live in a 150 year old house that is in poor shape. House requires renovations including possible new roof (but would be hopeful of reusing slates), replumb, rewire, advice on energy efficiency and any possible grants. House is constructed from stone with lime plaster over and has a 70s extension which has made some rooms very dark. House is big enough but would like to reconfigure some of the downstairs. I would also like to be sympathetic to original building.

Which professional will be able to do a detailed schedule of works to cover everything? Do I need an architect, engineer, builder or energy consultant or will I need a few professionals :o

Any recommendations by pm would be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From what you describe, probably start with architect (with some experience in conservation/old buildings).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boozybee

Thanks DOCARCH another quick question if I go to tender for an architect beyond what I have described above should I be looking for? Should I be looking for a price to include detailed drawings and then put out to tender for a builder myself? Or would architect do all that. I'm thinking I would need someone to oversee the work.
    Unfortunately budget is limited so looking for most cost effective way of doing all.

Advertisement