Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised bed overwinter

Options
  • 06-10-2019 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Time to put raised bed to sleep for winter. I have grown runner beans very successful on same plot for years but want to ensure it is good for next year. Last year I put previous years leaves on it (stored in plasitc bags 12 mths) and then some compost in spring. At the moment it is covered in the debris of the beans with poles gone. Should I leave same or just the roots? Should I put some compost over now? I worry about encouraging slugs. I fear the heavy rains we contstantly get are washing any nutrient out of soil if left open. I tried a red clover crop one year, came up lovely then disappeared over night! SLUGS:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Roots? Of the runners I presume if you intend to do more runners you can leave them. Does the bed need topping up? Throw on the leaves, I'd be tempted to cover the whole bed with a layer of mypex type material - ie permeable but should help keep the nutrients from getting washed through the bed into the garden soil. Get hold of some manure and dig that in rather than just the standard compost (which can wait until end of Winter/early Spring). With the mypex on it's like a gentle fermenting oven over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yes runner bean roots, supposed to be good to leave, nitrogen fixing? Yes always seems to need topping up! Would mypex slow ferment discourage slugs? Will I find it in ordinary garden centre? eg Homebase/Woodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep Homebase will stock it just make sure the material is labelled as permeable. Are slugs a significant ongoing problem on the bed? Iron phosphate is a slug killer while remaining within the realm of non toxic for vegetables etc. However if ingested it can harm dogs etc. Just scatter it around the base or the bed. It does tend to wash away (though the current favourite brand "Sluggo" says it does not), so it's something you'll need to use on an as and when basis if you buy some make sure it's NOT the EDTA variation - which is an agent which releases the chemical very effectively but also very harmfully if ingested by household pets etc.

If you want to be non chemical in every regard you could try a perimeter of sharp spiky gravel/small stones as they hate that.

Thanks for extra tips there. Yes slugs are a problem generally, well planted small garden with high stonewalls. I have the stone chippings and sand surrounding the raised bed.... and had bit of copper tape but gone now. Runner beans are started in pots on a sheltered table and into in ground once 6" or so high. Pest free with luck! This year for first time I had black fly trouble but soon scarpered with washing up liquid diluted spray. Great crop of fresh beans for next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Don't waste the winter grow a crop of broad beans in it. Mulch as much as you like while you are at it. Aquadulce is the variety to plant in November and will be finished with time it comes to plant runner beans in it provided you are putting out plants and not direct seeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm planning on making a load off raised beds over the next few months, In time for the spring planting.

Just dont like broad beans....:(

I had trouble sourcing the Mytex. Homebase only sold it in 100 metre rolls :(, not in Woodies....
    I got some from online Irish store in the end but larger piece than needed. Would it be wrong to double up on coverage?

Advertisement