Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring PhD to a different Institution

Options
  • 03-07-2019 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

For a few reasons (deteriorating relationship with supervisor, my own mucking about and moving 300km away for work mainly) I was going to explore transferring to a new Department and Institution as I write up my PhD. In an ideal world - and assuming current supervisor bought in - I'd have it done withing 12 months but I kinda feel a fresher start, without baggage, would help (in an Institution closer to new home).

Anyone have any experience of this? I have one or two potential supervisors or contacts in mind around where I live now but won't contact them until I find out a bit more about the logistics of what I'm asking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Just the gentlest bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Took a few weeks off and tried to forget about this but just wondering if anyone had any insights?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Professor and supervisor of numerous PhDs here. It really is quite rare that someone transfers to a different supervisor within an institution, but I am aware of one or two cases in my own Uni.
    I suggest that you talk to your Department Head or Graduate Committee Member about this issue. They may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mailspaining

Professor and supervisor of numerous PhDs here. It really is quite rare that someone transfers to a different supervisor within an institution, but I am aware of one or two cases in my own Uni.
    I suggest that you talk to your Department Head or Graduate Committee Member about this issue. They may be able to help.

Thanks for the insight. Would be changing institution as well as supervisor but need to have discussions when people are back after their break.

Advertisement