Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting laminate fireplace

• 15-01-2017 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi all, have a laminate fireplace surround I'm looking to paint. Is best process to sand lightly, bin primer then satinwood f
    or finish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

can anyone help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi all, have a laminate fireplace surround I'm looking to paint. Is best process to sand lightly, bin primer then satinwood f
    or finish?

Give it a good wash down first in case there is and type of residue from house hold cleaner that may contain wax products.

Bin primer should be fine or you cold also use Colourtrend prime 2 (epoxy)
    Then your satinwood finish should be fine.

What bin primer should i use? There's a shellac one and a water base one? then should it be oil or water based satinwood? Cheers for help :-)

What bin primer should i use? There's a shellac one and a water base one? then should it be oil or water based satinwood? Cheers for help :-)

There is only 1 Bin primer (shellac). 123 primer is water-based.
    Johnstones do there own version of it as well and it's a bit cheaper.
    I find the colourtrend prime 2 very very good. It's easier to apply that Bin but it is slower to dry.

If you are putting on a colour I would go with Colourtrend water-based satin wood. If you are going with white my preference would be oil based as I don't like to look of white water based satinwood it that's just my opinion

Thanks very much. Is it very thick is that what you mean by hard to apply? will one quote of primer do? yeah it will be a grey colour going on as final coat. Here's a pic on fireplace. Will one coat of primer do?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much. Is it very thick is that what you mean by hard to apply? will one quote of primer do? yeah it will be a grey colour going on as final coat. Here's a pic on fireplace. Will one coat of primer do?

It's not that it's thick. It dries very quick,so when you are brushing it on it can 'pull' easy if its over brushed.

One coat of primer is fine as I will still need at least 2 coats of Satinwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Does it get hot? Don't paint it if it does. Your house will smell like chemicals. Speaking from experience.

timber doesn't get that hot, would be warm alright but not "hot"

a few neighbours have done the same thing and would have similar surrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭PANDDDKP

Do as Ceepo said, the only things I will add is

i) Do not sand beforehand, it's laminate (plastic) so it will tear up and look crap

ii) I would use Colourtrend Prime 2 as opposed to the BIN, the BIN is meth based and it has a strong smell, plus it will wreck your brush after 1 go. The Colourtrend is waterbased so you can wash the brush out with water and use again on your top coat if it too is waterbased. Also the colourtrend smell is only slight.

1 coat of primer will be fine, followed by 2 or 3 top coats. You can lightly sand betwee coats with a sanding block, grade 180 or so, and the reason is you won't be sanding the laminate, just the paint/ brush strokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Ceepo wrote: »
    There is only 1 Bin primer (shellac). 123 primer is water-based.
    Johnstones do there own version of it as well and it's a bit cheaper.
    I find the colourtrend prime 2 very very good. It's easier to apply that Bin but it is slower to dry.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm about to paint a lot of varnished mahogany doors and thought BIN was the thing to use but I've been told it smells very strongly. Do you have to sand before using the Colortrend prime 2 or is it like the BIN and not much sanding required? Sounds like a better product.

• Advertisement

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm about to paint a lot of varnished mahogany doors and thought BIN was the thing to use but I've been told it smells very strongly. Do you have to sand before using the Colortrend prime 2 or is it like the BIN and not much sanding required? Sounds like a better product.
    Prime 2 doesn't require much sanding. But it does take longer to dry than Bin.
    While there is a stronger smell for bin primer it doesn't like linger that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

bump....I'm looking to do this to a mantle piece this week. Going from dark laminate to white. Did you go ahead with it after?

Advertisement