Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Venetian blinds darken a room?

Options
  • 26-07-2017 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

About to change our blinds (which have served us well - 20 years!!). We were looking for a change and wondered if wooden venetian blinds darken rooms too much?
    Thanks - w4m

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

They will block light slightly if you leave them open (but down). Lifting the blind obviously fixes that.

You could also consider painted wooden venetian blinds, we have a soft cream colour which reflect light into the room without the glare of direct sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Yes, they definitely do block out some light even when open. These blinds come in different size timber (or alternative) lats which means the wider the timber, the bigger the space between them. Wider space will allow more light in even when down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

wait4me wrote: »
    About to change our blinds (which have served us well - 20 years!!). We were looking for a change and wondered if wooden venetian blinds darken rooms too much?
    Thanks - w4m

We bought one for our living room window with permission of the landlord.

We wanted it for privacy from the street.

+ what Graham said we were gonna go for an oak colour but were advised lighter so went with cream and it doesn't darken the room and nearly makes the room bigger.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes, they definitely do block out some light even when open. These blinds come in different size timber (or alternative) lats which means the wider the timber, the bigger the space between them. Wider space will allow more light in even when down.

+1 on the wider lats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Daliapour

Wider lats and light colour the way to go, have the total opposite here i.e narrow lat and walnut colour. I'd hazard a guess it takes around 40% of natural light from the room when down. Can't wait to change them.

Next time its a cream 2 inch lat for me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement