Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coverage of the Roy Keane story

Options
  • 13-04-2004 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

So, what's the most idiotic thing you've heard/read/seen since this story broke ?

For me it was listening to the muppet who 'phoned in to Newstalk 106 (Radio in Dublin for those of you fortunate enough to be outside the pale) and basically said he was no longer supporting Ireland because of this.

. . . at least it's a break from hearing about people killing each other . . .

What I believe to be lacking in the writing is the examination of the people management and human resources issues here. I don't believe it is in essence a sports/soccer story but really it should be an exploration of the failure of a national organization and specifically the failure of one of it's previous managers to effectively manage it's human resources.

I'm a bit disappointed that this hasn't been analysed or discussed and it only reinforces my belief that we have (along with the UK) second rate journalists.

but there you have it and there it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I think all the talking was done at the time of the Saipan incident. Maybe this time round those sort of issues are considered a moot point for the media covering the story. This time round I guess the angle is more what reaction people will have when Keane runs onto the pitch with the Irish jersey on again.

Re:Newstalk 106. I think they're doing an OK job. David McWilliams isn't great though. I normally only catch the afternoon programmes when they're repeated at night and that afternoon section (Dublin life, I think) is actually very very good radio. The 2 presenters are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I don't think we have second rate journalists as such. Newspapers at the end of the day want to sell copies. Newspapers reflect society and lets face it if you go down to a pub tonight (ok well maybe a few days ago at this stage) what would have been the big talking point?

Bertiegate? Nah! Iraq? Doubt it!

Keane?! Yes! Even those who don't like soccer are talking about it!

They're giving the people what they want. I mean take the Beckham thing I think its the biggest load of crap ever but its what people want to know. It fascinates people and it sells papers!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Has any media outlet managed to gauge the players reactions? That would be the pivotal part of the story as far as Im concerned.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by flogen
    Has any media outlet managed to gauge the players reactions? That would be the pivotal part of the story as far as Im concerned.

Flogen

I think it was the sun who had an interview with Kenny Cunningham saying he welcomes Keane back and that he'd happily hand over the captains armband.

Some paper today had Matt Holland saying he welcomed Keane back. There was interviews with ex-players such as Quinn and Staunton in a few papers last week. Denis Irwin gave his today in the Sunday World and today's News of the World had Jack Charlton's opinion on it.

ah right, I hadn't seen anything myself. I saw Charlton, but he's nothing but a glorified fan at this stage, with all due respect to him

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

the questions I'd really liked to have seen asked include :

to brian kerr : what is it about your management of the team that you believe was so attractive to roy keane ?
    to any squad member : what do you believe was harder for roy keane ? leaving saipan or making himself available for selection ?
    to brian kerr : what use are friendlies to your planning ? are they really a vehicle for experienced players ?
    to most of the callers into the radio shows : have you ever been to an Ireland soccer international ? (no, down-the-pub in summer 1990 doesn't count)
    to the various journalists and pundits : what was the last original question you asked ? (no, pre-1994 doesn't count)

(ok the last one was a joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What I'd really like to know is how the **** Kerr escaped giving an interview on this???

What I'd really like to know is how the **** Kerr escaped giving an interview on this???

the joys of media, all he has to say is he's unavailable for comment or some pap like that.... given that it isnt really a national crisis like people make out... he's let off with that.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

You're right ! i've only just copped that !

The 2 people at the centre of it all (RK and BK) completely avoided being interviewed !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by shabbyroad
    You're right ! i've only just copped that !

The 2 people at the centre of it all (RK and BK) completely avoided being interviewed !

Well Keane released a statement through his Agent Michael Kennedy. But neither was questioned:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

What's the bet Pat Kenny will have an interview with one or other before very long. Although he'd want to hurry before his long summer holidays.

ps - i'm looking forward to rte's report on the salaries the "stars" get. Should make for interesting reading.

Advertisement