Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newpapers - Hard Copy or online?

Options
  • 31-03-2004 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

As the interweb thingy becomes another utility the newspaper biz has fully embraced the new medium. Some do it for free some once you register while some charge.

On the whole the sites are pretty good though some elements are not availible such as cartoons on unison.ie
    for example.

Some have been quicker than others, the Sunday Tribune has only recently gone online and they charge a price I'd baulk at unless I was overseas. But then I could just read the unison or examier site for free anyway. While the Sunday Business Post and Sunday Times Irish edition is also readily availible.

While I like a copy of a newspaper in my hands complete with inky fingers I only buy a few a week and rarely during the week. So the on-line editions are very handy.

Which titles do you tend to use and have you bought fewer hard copies since going online?

Mike.

Which paper do you browse and do you prefere hard copy or virtual? 56 votes

Irish Times
    0% 0 votes
    Irish Independent
    14% 8 votes
    Sunday Busines Post
    19% 11 votes
    Sunday Tribune
    8% 5 votes
    The Examiner
    7% 4 votes
    The Sunday Times
    5% 3 votes
    Ireland On Sunday
    14% 8 votes
    Prefere Hard Copy
    1% 1 vote
    Prefere On-Line edition
    28% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

1, The Examiner

2, The Sunday Times (Irish edition)

I have stopped purchasing hardcopy newspapers completely since going online.

P. :ninja:

Originally posted by Paddy20

I have stopped purchasing hardcopy newspapers completely since going online.

Mostly I have too although, I miss the rustle and indepthness of some of the hard copies.

If I'm in a decent Café I'll always pick up a copy of the Irish times to read, tho the indo online and the examiner are my tipples of choice otherwise because registration is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I can't read an indepth article online. I'm not a fan of reading serious amounts of information from a computer screen. I have to have a hard copy. Same with books. I think most people are the same - that's why e-books never took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

I can't read an indepth article online. I'm not a fan of reading serious amounts of information from a computer screen. I have to have a hard copy. Same with books. I think most people are the same - that's why e-books never took off.
    Same here I prefer the hard copy but use online too.

Does anyone remember when ireland.com(irish times) was free. That was a great site but i was really annoyed when they started charging for it! now i use unison.ie(indo) which is free. As a result i started buying the indo more instead of the times without even meaning to. I think i was subconiously getting my revenge for not being able to do the times crossword online anymore :( used to love that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by DrEvil

Does anyone remember when ireland.com(irish times) was free. That was a great site but i was really annoyed when they started charging for it!

I do, but at the time I never used it! I certainly don't now. I'd love to know how many ppl took up the chance to subscribe when the switch was made (they even have a daft name).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

hardcopy still is the best, you can't feel the message without the paper, maybe i'm just old fashioned but until they get PCs with broadsheet size monitors, i'll hold on to hardcopy and the helpful breaking news-type addition to journalism on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Until they can come up with a online version that can be easily read in a jacks... hard copy all the way! :D

But in all seriousness, The Guardian and The Irish Times most days during the week, occasionly the London Independent, and the Sunday Times and The Observer on Sundays. Some others in the house pick up the Sunday Business Post and Sunday Tribune and I have a leaf through them.

Sometimes I cant keep my hands of the tabs, so The Sun online is sometimes viewed. Sunday World for Pat Spillane is essential reading during the summer too.

For a laff, I occasionally pickup the Mail on Sunday, because as a good mate once said, I do enjoy a good comic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

During the week its usualy online news I look at. Weekends I will read the Irish Independant.

living away from ireland i read the examiner and the indo (both online). i only read them to see what the news back home is. when i was living back hame i read the guardian and the english times during the week and the sunday times. irish broadsheets don't seem to devote much time to international news which is why i bought the english papers.

Advertisement