Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About this board...

Options
  • 31-03-2004 2:22pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it just for "News / Media" or is it for the general "media" as in news, press, journalism, marketing, advertising, PR, publishing, etc, etc?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

its not actually a news/media board,its just a cover up so all the mods can post up their s&m fantasies ;),
    mods rule tbh :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

tbh I still have to clear it all up with the admins, but for now it covers new (news stories), along with media ethics, journalist resources and general media discussions.
    so far as advertising, PR, marketing and publishing, Im not certain, i'll have to get back to you.

once i know for certain i can get to work on a charter

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

I propose that topics of ANY sort should be allowed to start in this forum, as long as they can be classed as 'news'. For example, if a topic starts about tonights irish soccer match even though it should really be in the footie forum, then it is allowed as it's current news.

As this is a news forum old stories should be taken out. Say a thread is not news anymore, then that thread could then be moved out of news and into a more appropriate forum where only people really interested in that topic can still continue the disscusion. So say a thread has been 'news' for certain agreed period like a day or week maybe or when the mod decides, then it's put somewhere else.

does any of that sound alright?

i was thinking about this, and to be honest, its a tough one to call.
    its bound to happen that political descussions will start up here in relation to news, just as it would sport.
    I havent made a decision yet, but I think that any discussions will have to be kept on the topic of the news.. so say its a piece about G. Bush, any discussion should be on the actual news, and its effects (as well as related history), however general comments such as your opinion of bush as a whole would be better suited to politics.

its something I'll have to really figure out.... but thanks for the idea, it does make sense, but perhaps rather than moving or deleting an out of date story, it would be better to lock it, and so form some kind of archive of news...

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

yeah the locking of a thread idea sounds good. instead maybe when you close a thread you would add a link at the end of the thread to the right forum to continue discussing that topic. so you could have both the archive and a means to promote further talk on boards. I would envisage this as a way to encourage people to use other forums that they might never think of going to and may benefit underused ones too at the same time. Essentially this would be like a stepping stone or gateway to the rest of boards.
    but I think that any discussions will have to be kept on the topic of the news.
    This sounds like the sensible thing to do

• Advertisement

instead maybe when you close a thread you would add a link at the end of the thread to the right forum to continue discussing that topic

sounds reasonable enough... all will be revealed in the near future ;)

Flogen

Advertisement