Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Woods 2019 - A Look Back.

Options
  • 24-01-2019 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭

Listening to a book on audible - Hank Haney - The Big Miss.

It is a shocking breach of trust between coach and player.

But it still is a great insight - as Tiger had created a team around him so tight. Very little got out. I'd nearly say the "omertà" around Tiger was very similar to a Tour de France team.

In the book an interesting couple of things come up - that would be looked upon very unfavorably now - "blood spinning" - to be honest this sounds like Blood doping , but it was claimed it was just to deal with Tiger's injuries.

Anyway , to move to the positive , I felt it would be nice if we went back in time. If we posted a few things from the past.

Has anyone any personal stories or favorite Tiger moments. (Besides the obvious)

Tiger had a massive impact on me - just his timing , his changing of the game and him making the game cool and fashionable.

His power and athleticism changed the game. His mental game was something very few had seen before - his power and speed was just bizarre.

Tiger is fantastic in this piece - it shows what he could have been - but as the years went on - he went more and more into himself.

This is an amazing piece showing how Tiger just had a game that a Links golf course of the past could not handle.

It was the first emotion he had shown and an opening to the break down of his general state of mind. Losing someone so close - can fundamental change you.

Anyway - it makes you think thank God or someone for HD - but the ball contact is possibly something we may never see again.

Bit of daft retro music helps the flashback :D

You have to stick in a top 10

And to finish off and confirm Tiger made golf cool - jaysus I played this more than real golf at the time - :D , what a game.

Anyway - I'll try think a bit more about Tiger over the next few days - it is mad to think we are now 22 years on. :eek:p

its a good book - are there any others ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Listening to a book on audible - Hank Haney - The Big Miss.

It is a shocking breach of trust between coach and player.

Yeah but not being offered a Popsicle can really get to a man. ;)

Despite the shocking breach of trust I did enjoy the book.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

There is a new book Fix. It's written by two investigative journalists. Let's just say Tiger outside of golf was/is not a nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Its a good read alright. Was my poolside book last summer on holiday.

There is definite bitterness on Haney's side, and a whole lot of Hindsight 20-20 stuff which attempts to paint Haney in the most flattering light (as you'd expect I guess)

It does give some good insights into Tigers mindset, from the time he was a young amateur, but definitely has to be read with a fairly major pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I read Tiger Woods by Jeff Benedict last year.

An unauthorised biography. It's a great insight into Tiger and his parents.
    https://www.dubraybooks.ie/Tiger-Woods_9781471175374

Leaves you feeling admiration, pity, disgust and many other emotions...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Keano wrote: »
    There is a new book Fix. It's written by two investigative journalists. Let's just say Tiger outside of golf was/is not a nice person.

You could probably use this line about countless professional athletes. Look at the NFL most of the people playing it are obnoxious assholes.

If one was worried about how nice people were you wouldn't be a fan of any team or sport these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't care, I just like watch the greatest of my era play the game on a different level

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kbrady85

slave1 wrote: »
    Don't care, I just like watch the greatest of my era play the game on a different level

I feel the same. It's hard to read the book and not come to the conclusion that he is arsehole but there's enough glimmers of humanity there to keep me on his side. It's hard to say how anyone would react to being put in the situation he was at such a young age with two such ehhh unique parents.

When he went to the top of the leaderboard on Sunday at the open it was incredible. I'd love to see him do at least one more major and after that who knows. People can say the game has moved on and it's more crowded at the top these days but I still think he has a level that none of the other players can get to. And as for the oft quoted line about his mental game being shot as a result of his personal issues, he was always brilliant at separating his golf game from his life outside the course. He played some fantastic stuff in 2009 while his personal life was unraveling around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

kbrady85 wrote: »
    I feel the same. It's hard to read the book and not come to the conclusion that he is arsehole but there's enough glimmers of humanity there to keep me on his side. It's hard to say how anyone would react to being put in the situation he was at such a young age with two such ehhh unique parents.

When he went to the top of the leaderboard on Sunday at the open it was incredible. I'd love to see him do at least one more major and after that who knows. People can say the game has moved on and it's more crowded at the top these days but I still think he has a level that none of the other players can get to. And as for the oft quoted line about his mental game being shot as a result of his personal issues, he was always brilliant at separating his golf game from his life outside the course. He played some fantastic stuff in 2009 while his personal life was unraveling around him.

I know this was the conclusion on Golf Weekly. Myself and a friend read the book and both just kind of pitied Tiger by the end of it. All the crap he put up with from his family, it makes sense that he turned out the way he did.

Obviously, there are things that are just not acceptable e.g. renting the cabin at Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Keano wrote: »

Any name of this book.

Also no other book mentioned in thread, I assume it is all Haney we are talking about?

You could probably do a fairly epic documentary at this stage encapsulating his downfall and now rise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Any name of this book.

Also no other book mentioned in thread, I assume it is all Haney we are talking about?

You could probably do a fairly epic documentary at this stage encapsulating his downfall and now rise again.

Its just called "Tiger Woods" by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement