Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse looking to escape Myanmar and move to Ireland

Options
  • 10-06-2021 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Long story short is a friend of mine (mid 30's) is one of the Myanmar persecuted minorities (Karen Ethnic Group). She is a very smart person and as a young refugee went to Thailand where she worked her a$$ off in housemaid jobs etc whilst studying to become a Nurse at night and eventually after she got her Nursing Degree she got a decent job in a private international hospital in Bangkok as a medical translator as her English is very good.

She saved up some cash and eventually went home to Myanmar after Aung San Suu Kyi was elected and replaced the Military Junta and started a business but the Military recently staged a coup, the country is now in chaos, she's lost her business and she just wants to get out.

She has contacted me to ask if there is a way for her to come work and live in Ireland. She has some savings left and isn't looking for any sort of hand outs. She knows her Thai nursing degree won't convert and allow her to work as a nurse here (much to her disappointment) so she's wondering if it would be possible for her to get sponsored here for a home care type job? Given her nursing degree and excellent English I think she'd be a success and could see her make a real career out of it in the long run as she is a serious organiser etc but I've no idea whether she'd be allowed in as a non EU citizen and qualify for the necessary Visa etc.

If anyone here has any info that might help me point her in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Covieland

BEFORE YOU TRAVEL
    Apply for immigration permission to work
    You must apply for and receive immigration permission to work in Ireland before you apply for a visa.

You must have a job offer or employment contract to apply. Permission will only be granted for work that is highly skilled or where there is a skill shortage in Ireland.

You will not be allowed to work in Ireland if you do not get immigration permission.

Apply for an Employment Visa
    After you receive permission to work, apply for a long stay Employment Visa. All long stay visas are also called 'D' visas.

You will not be allowed to come to Ireland without a visa.

WHEN YOU TRAVEL
    Prepare for border control
    You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, original employment contract and other documents.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

After you enter
    Apply for permission to stay & register with immigration
    After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date shown by the stamp in your passport.

If you don't get permission and register in time, you may have to leave the country.

There's more information on the Department of Justice website

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jusvi2001

She is required to clear a English language test IELTS/OET then she need to apply for international nurses registration with Nursing board Ireland (NMBI) it will take few months with all the paper work needs to completed. once she cleared this tough and lengthy process. it wont be that difficult to find an employer to sponsor her visa. lot of irish recruitment agencies like CPL and KCR are recruiting nurses from outside Europe.

another way is seeking asylum in a safe country. Not sure if there is any legal process you can claim asylum with out reaching a safe country. Pity there are lot of economic migrants gained entry to EU/UK by illegal means and have no intentions to work or pay tax but genuine refugees are still left out who wish to live in a safe country and can contribute to the society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    She is required to clear a English language test IELTS/OET then she need to apply for international nurses registration with Nursing board Ireland (NMBI) it will take few months with all the paper work needs to completed. once she cleared this tough and lengthy process.

That's great info thanks. I know she's had to do various English language competency tests in the past but those were for a medical translation job she had in Thailand and may not be as high a standard as here plus her English proficiency may have declined since she returned to Myanmar a few years ago but knowing her tenacity and commitment once she sets herself a challenge I'm sure she'll do what it takes to rise to the required level. She'd certainly do so easily enough if she was based her for a while first.
    lot of irish recruitment agencies like CPL and KCR are recruiting nurses from outside Europe.

That's a good idea, I'll put her in touch with them.
    another way is seeking asylum in a safe country. Not sure if there is any legal process you can claim asylum with out reaching a safe country. Pity there are lot of economic migrants gained entry to EU/UK by illegal means and have no intentions to work or pay tax but genuine refugees are still left out who wish to live in a safe country and can contribute to the society.

I'm not sure there's a pathway for her to seek asylum in Ireland given she is based in Myanmar right now. If she had family here or some established connection with Ireland it might be possible but she doesn't (other than our family and some other friends based here) so if she wanted to get asylum it'd likely have to be in Thailand or another neighbouring country and unfortunately I know from first hand experience having lived in Thailand myself in the past that refugees from Myanmar are generally unwelcome and not treated very well with pathways to careers cut off etc.

This girl is one of life's grafters and survivors so would be a positive addition to any community / country but unless you know the individual personally it's hard for a "system" to identify that. She was literally born and lived in a hill tribe type village with little irrigation or electricity but made the most of the available education and her family sacrificed a lot to smuggle her into Thailand in her late teens where she managed to get a job as a domestic maid / nanny and spent all her spare time and money educating herself and ultimately qualified as a nurse.

We need more people with that determination and drive in the world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jusvi2001

I would say her best chance is to meet the language requirement test by NMBI. lot of nurses from India, Philippines and Zimbabwe are able to clear the OET and coming here for work. there is online training available for OET . recently NMBI changed the rules for clinical experience. so she just need to meet the language competency and documents supporting her nursing education. recruiting agency will only accept candidates with NMBI registration.

Advertisement