Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best introduction to electronics book?

Options
  • 07-06-2021 4:44pm

I've recently been trying to find a new hobby and I'm building an ebike, I'd love to learn more about various electronics topics and circuits,

I have something I'd like to build in mind but like to learn more about the subject before I start cutting wires and messing around with potentially live circuits.

Could you recommend a good book for a beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Hey good question.
    Is it electrics or electronics you are specifically interested in?
    As a rough guide electronics is more transistor/circuit board based and electrics is more wiring based but the overlap is massive.

The best electronics book is Art of Electronics by Horowitz but it is very much a reference and difficult to read from scratch but it has everything.

For a general book that covers electrical+electronics try John Bird - Electrical Circuit Theory.

If you want anything specific to AC electricity, 230V stuff etc you'll need a more electrical distribution book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

not sure about a book but you can learn a lot about electronics from youtubers such as Bigclivedotcom, eevblog, dronebot workshop, electroboom and many others.

House electrics (and anything at "mains" level voltages) are a different matter, it isn't something to learn from a book, you really need someone to show you the basics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

not sure about a book but you can learn a lot about electronics from youtubers such as Bigclivedotcom, eevblog, dronebot workshop, electroboom and many others...

Excellent suggestions. Two more would be GreatScott and Ben Eater.

The former for pretty interesting projects of all sorts, from small electronics projects to mains voltage projects (warning!)

The latter guy mostly covers digital electronics (tranmission and processing of 1s and 0s using HIGH and LOW voltages). He basically takes you through how to build a working computer from scratch!

I'd stay away from mains for now. You'll learn a lot by staying below 50 V (a lot safer), then when you're ready (and understand more) you could do some mains projects.

If you tell us more specially what you are interested in learning, maybe I could think of a book. There's plenty of books on the theory out there (the John Bird one mentioned is decent enough), but they often lack some of the practical/more interesting side.

Kits might also be a good option. Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elenco-Electronic-Playground-Learning-Center/dp/B0035XSZDI/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=electronics+kit&qid=1623415497&sr=8-26

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I recognize some (not all) of the books mentioned above and they are good selections.

Electronics is not a path i went down although i did study it, and briefly worked at it

Looking at the things you have available now, i would also recommend getting some sort of beginners kit of electronics, one of those kits with a web site or CD Rom with 20 or so demonstrations. something fro around 50 euro

you get the breadboard and connectors all in one tub

I've thought my son a few things and there is noticing like having some components and a some little board like a microbit or more practically an Arduino to show the integrations of some digital electronics and a cheap controller.

Although its not power electronics with the regulators you might be looking for to use with powerful motors, you will get to mess with and understand basic motors and servos very quickly. This might supplement the advice given here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Start with the magazines è.g. Practical Electronics & Elektor. Ideal for a hobbyist. They often have book offers.
    Electronics text books are expensive so check your public library. If they don’t have one you can request them to get it for you.
    Electronic Devices - Floyd gives a good introduction.
    Download a the free simulator app è.g. EveryCircuit. You can upgrade to paid version it if you find it useful. Runs on pc and iOS.
    Search the web for university lecturers course notes. There are many other sources on the web including YouTube as already mentioned.

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't reply to this thread sooner. I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions for various learning resources I could use.

I have just one further request could anyone recommend a decent pair of wire strippers?

I did buy a pair that were suggested to me by Amazon's algorithm, but unfortunately they are a Chinese knockoff of a American brand. Unfortunately I only realised that after purchasing them. Good thing with Amazon. I can send them back and they will reimburse me the full cost.

My first project will be making a DIY smart charger for my E bike battery. I didn't fancy paying upwards of 90 Euro to get a premade one. When this is available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32803688263.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5bf04c4dtiwJKc

Looks fairly simple once you strip some wires you just screw them in to this device and set the max voltage you want the battery to charge to.

Sorry I didn't reply to this thread sooner. I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions for various learning resources I could use.

I have just one further request could anyone recommend a decent pair of wire strippers?

I did buy a pair that were suggested to me by Amazon's algorithm, but unfortunately they are a Chinese knockoff of a American brand. Unfortunately I only realised that after purchasing them. Good thing with Amazon. I can send them back and they will reimburse me the full cost.

My first project will be making a DIY smart charger for my E bike battery. I didn't fancy paying upwards of 90 Euro to get a premade one. When this is available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32803688263.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5bf04c4dtiwJKc

Looks fairly simple once you strip some wires you just screw them in to this device and set the max voltage you want the battery to charge to.
    What are you going to generate the power from though?

alan4cult wrote: »
    What are you going to generate the power from though?

It will be hooked up to a normal two amp E bike charger , how it works is basically

Wall socket>Battery Charger> charge controller>Battery.

Just out of curiosity. I've seen this book recommended on Reddit a few times has anyone here read it and what do you think is it worth the cost. Considering the age and format of the book?

Getting Started in Electronics

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0945053282?pf_rd_r=5FP2MGM6X7E85GD0D35D&pf_rd_p=6fc81c8c-2a38-41c6-a68a-f78c79e7253f&pd_rd_r=5a17e25d-45ab-4713-9d6e-005a97bb070c&pd_rd_w=U0Ivj&pd_rd_wg=mETP6&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Just out of curiosity. I've seen this book recommended on Reddit a few times has anyone here read it and what do you think is it worth the cost. Considering the age and format of the book?

Getting Started in Electronics

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0945053282?pf_rd_r=5FP2MGM6X7E85GD0D35D&pf_rd_p=6fc81c8c-2a38-41c6-a68a-f78c79e7253f&pd_rd_r=5a17e25d-45ab-4713-9d6e-005a97bb070c&pd_rd_w=U0Ivj&pd_rd_wg=mETP6&ref_=pd_gw_unk

I have not read it but it appears to be a good basic introduction. I would not be concerned about the date…last published in 1994…since the fundamentals remain the same. IMOH the typeface is not ideal but you could get used to it.
    See here for free offer: https://www.academia.edu/9885504/Getting_Started_In_Electronics_Forrest_M_Mims

• Advertisement

It will be hooked up to a normal two amp E bike charger , how it works is basically

Wall socket>Battery Charger> charge controller>Battery.

This has a 60V DC input though, how are you going to go from 230VAC to 60V?

alan4cult wrote: »
    This has a 60V DC input though, how are you going to go from 230VAC to 60V?

The charger has a transformer box "the square brick thing" that takes 230AC and turns it down to 56.5v DC at 2 amps which is perfect for a 48v battery.

Might be of interest to somebody.

https://www.elektor.com/books?manufacturer=Elektor

See page 2 for Basic Electronics for Beginners reduced to €15 from €35.

Advertisement