Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What car do you hate that everyone else loves?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The new Ford Focus looks sort of squashed, like Godzilla stamped on it.

Don't think they look that bad,Kuga is poor effort , current Micra or Civic look like should be on the TV show Botched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

tenreds wrote: »
    Range Rover, everybody I know that drives one is a dickhead

100%

Dreadful looking things too. The original 1970s, '80s ones looked nice, had a touch of class about them, and were probably sort of useful if you were a farmer or a horsey type. Then the mid-90s one came along and it looked the spitting image of those horrible London taxis of that era.

The modern ones are just obnoxious in every possible way. A car for people with absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever. And more often than not, really poorly driven too.

maidhc wrote: »
    It’s actually reasonably accurate. The RR phev can’t tow much more than a Passat, so it’s entire raison detre must be called into question. A 200hp ‘Cruiser will devour it in most real world situations.

I hate all these tall cars people love. Completely pointless things that are just too tall and have silly wheels. If people need to get from a to b on tarmac get a normal 2wd car that handles well.

If you Live up a mountain or need to tow stuff get a hilux or landcruiser and nothing else, everything else that claims to be a 4wd is a waste of time.

Interesting insight.

Just to compare a 2Lt Passat and 2Lt RRS.

RR has 640 NM of torque, goes from 0-100 kph in 6.3s and has a towing capacity of 5511lbs, the Passat on the other hand has 250 NM of torque, 0-100kph in 8.9s and can pull 1000lbs.

I know you hate tall cars and probably RR's more than most, but until you drive one, you really can't appreciate how beautiful they are to drive.
    100%

Dreadful looking things too. The original 1970s, '80s ones looked nice, had a touch of class about them, and were probably sort of useful if you were a farmer or a horsey type. Then the mid-90s one came along and it looked the spitting image of those horrible London taxis of that era.

The modern ones are just obnoxious in every possible way. A car for people with absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever. And more often than not, really poorly driven too.

Ive got to admit, this is one of the bonuses of driving RRs, it pisses lots of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭roadmaster

At the start of the last downturn my old company came up with an idea to take all our landcruisers off us and replace them with tiidas. I dont think i ever drove such a bland , ugly car inside and out as well as the most souless car ever. They only thing in its favour was it ran on fumes.

On side note what is the story with all the rangers mammys seam to be using. I do see them in Aldi and they are not designed for aldi car parks!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

roadmaster wrote: »
    At the start of the last downturn my old company came up with an idea to take all our landcruisers off us and replace them with tiidas. I dont think i ever drove such a bland , ugly car inside and out as well as the most souless car ever. They only thing in its favour was it ran on fumes.

Agree the saddest part of the Tiida was what it replaced. All good cars replaced by unimaginative crap. I had one as a rental back in 2008 and it was so dull.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ive got to admit, this is one of the bonuses of driving RRs, it pisses lots of people off.

I don't understand why anyone would want to piss lots of other road users off. I'd prefer not to have to share the roads with people who get their kicks that way, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

roadmaster wrote: »
    On side note what is the story with all the rangers mammys seam to be using. I do see them in Aldi and they are not designed for aldi car parks!

More "look at us" vulgarity...all fur coat no knickers.
    Poor emasculated things, piloted by diminutive women peeping over the steering wheel, they'll never see the inside of a field let alone a building site.

More "look at us" vulgarity...all fur coat no knickers.
    Poor emasculated things, piloted by diminutive women peeping over the steering wheel, they'll never see the inside of a field let alone a building site.

Whether they're driven by a small woman who can't see over the steering wheel or a big man, who feels even bigger and more important in his big manly car, their presence in urban/suburban areas is obnoxious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Renault 4 is a brilliant car, reliable,comfortable,economical , good in snow, the back seats fold flat so you can sleep,every panel screws off, hard to believe it and the Zoe are related

Why? The Zoe is a great little car if a but expensive.
    Always been a fan of a small hatch tbh so I really don’t get the new “jeep” craze. Most of them are a case of people wanting a jeep, but couldn’t afford a jeep so bought a fake one. A jeep is a Land Rover.

After that, brand wise Toyota makes me absolutely wretch, I hate all that old school Jap stuff too, Evo’s, Silvia’s etc.

The worst though has to be the Sportage. I’ve never seen an uglier yoke in my life and they are everywhere.

Funnily enough, I have a soft spot for the Dacias though. My nan has one and it’s a little rocket. Basic as hell but like a go kart!

There is nothing wrong with Sportages. They are popular because they are good reliable cars that are well equipped and they stand out. They are also much better finished inside than a Dacia is. Yes they are either a love it or hate it design. There is worse out there like the Nissan Juke MK 1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with Sportages. They are popular because they are good reliable cars that are well equipped and they stand out. They are also much better finished inside than a Dacia is. Yes they are either a love it or hate it design. There is worse out there like the Nissan Juke MK 1.

I was in a loaner '17 Sportage a mate had a few years ago and a 191 i30 a couple of months ago and the inside of the new Dacias is far nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Interesting insight.

Just to compare a 2Lt Passat and 2Lt RRS.

RR has 640 NM of torque, goes from 0-100 kph in 6.3s and has a towing capacity of 5511lbs, the Passat on the other hand has 250 NM of torque, 0-100kph in 8.9s and can pull 1000lbs.

I know you hate tall cars and probably RR's more than most, but until you drive one, you really can't appreciate how beautiful they are to drive.

Your figures are off there, I can say that without resorting to google. A phev RR can tow 2.5t. A Passat about 1.8t, and a landcruiser 3.5t.

I don’t doubt a Range Rover is big and waftey and comfy like a w140, but I just think it’s too much of a compromise. It doesn’t annoy me, or bother me, I just think it’s not that capable a car for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Your figures are off there, I can say that without resorting to google. A phev RR can tow 2.5t. A Passat about 1.8t, and a landcruiser 3.5t.

I don’t doubt a Range Rover is big and waftey and comfy like a w140, but I just think it’s too much of a compromise. It doesn’t annoy me, or bother me, I just think it’s not that capable a car for the price.

People don't buy RR for value.

It is luxury goods for most.

Comparing it against Passat makes no sense. Even if Passat could tow similar weight.

wonski wrote: »
    People don't buy RR for value.

It is luxury goods for most.

Comparing it against Passat makes no sense. Even if Passat could tow similar weight.

It’s not the value. It’s just as a whole proposition it’s flawed. A landcruiser 200 is more expensive, but that vehicle has a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Jag f type or pace (whateveritscalled) suv. Overrated ford eco sport. Horrific yokes

It’s not the value. It’s just as a whole proposition it’s flawed. A landcruiser 200 is more expensive, but that vehicle has a point.

Value is subjective, like most, my RRS was not bought for its ability to pull a 2 tonne trailer. It was bought because I like RRs, not Toyotas, Its incredably comfortable and luxurious for both front and back seat passengers, despite what you think, it is not underpowered as illustrated by its bhp/torque/acceleration, and the hybrid engine means that it costs me very little to tax/run. Thats value for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

storker wrote: »
    The C-Max is/was a beautiful car to drive. I'm about to retire mine as it's costing too much to keep on the road (2004) but even after test-driving newer candidates for its replacement, I don't hate driving it when I get back in, which surprised me.

I have the same model as you. Superb handling for a people carrier. It has been chucked through bends and manages to be fun.

Value is subjective, like most, my RRS was not bought for its ability to pull a 2 tonne trailer. It was bought because I like RRs, not Toyotas, Its incredably comfortable and luxurious for both front and back seat passengers, despite what you think, it is not underpowered as illustrated by its bhp/torque/acceleration, and the hybrid engine means that it costs me very little to tax/run. Thats value for me.

Fair enough. I still hate them, but that’s the point of the thread I guess!

Ms

The Renault 4 is a brilliant car, reliable,comfortable,economical , good in snow, the back seats fold flat so you can sleep,every panel screws off, hard to believe it and the Zoe are related
    Don't think they look that bad,Kuga is poor effort , current Micra or Civic look like should be on the TV show Botched
    I was in a loaner '17 Sportage a mate had a few years ago and a 191 i30 a couple of months ago and the inside of the new Dacias is far nicer.
    No there not. So you would prefer to sit in a car with hard plastics everywhere when you could be in one with nice soft touch plastics in it.
    Don't get me wrong I think Dacia are great for what they are but they have a long way to go and the next Duster whenever that comes out should have some soft touch plastic in it.
    Another I do not like even do I am sure they are lovely inside when they are not broke down is
    The Range Rover Velor. It is just such a dull car and its bloody huge. No need for it. That name is a terrible name for a car too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The RRS owner and the landcruiser owner are a different species...I am the latter.. I make things, and pull things, and have dirt ingrained into the callouses on my hands... Although I don't hate Range Rovers, they are just not in my landscape. (Full disclosure, the landowner next to me has an Audi SQ8 - but it looks out of place too)

AMKC wrote: »
    No there not. So you would prefer to sit in a car with hard plastics everywhere when you could be in one with nice soft touch plastics in it.
    Don't get me wrong I think Dacia are great for what they are but they have a long way to go and the next Duster whenever that comes out should have some soft touch plastic in it.

I don't touch much of the plastic but the 191 i30 was worse than my old 09 Focus. Had a couple of mates in my Sandero and the reactions were very shocked "This is grand!"'s :pac:

• Advertisement
    Ms

I don't touch much of the plastic but the 191 i30 was worse than my old 09 Focus. Had a couple of mates in my Sandero and the reactions were very shocked "This is grand!"'s :pac:
    Yours is the brand new Sandero do ain't it? That is nice both inside and outside and nicer than the current Duster too. Hopefully the next Duster will improve more up to that standard as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Just to share this bit that came out of my youtube recommendations

https://youtu.be/TNyUahGiyUU

Advertisement