Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car do you hate that everyone else loves?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The "great space for shopping" in SUVs.
    Great if you're planning on feeding an army platoon. Are you Susan?

Boring and oversized, visually ranging from bland at best to ugly at worst. The McMansion in vehicle form and the de rigueur accompaniment for those architectural blots on the landscape.

Yeah, no, most of them don't look to have much boot space compared to a car.

I think some people think they are great simply because they are higher up!

I often think these people would be better off in a Transit, or if the actually need the back seats, a transit Turneo (or whatever they're called).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Corrolla Twin cams, there pig ugly.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I often think these people would be better off in a Transit, or if the actually need the back seats, a transit Turneo (or whatever they're called).

I'd love one of them. But they're mental money. Ford Galaxy is as close as I'll ever have gotten.
    Probably an unpopular opinion but the Ford Ranger. I’d probably like it if I drove it but just think it looks awful. Towing and off road capability aside, is a pick up even practical in terms of cargo space?

Horrible American styling. Don’t think we need them on Irish roads.

Have to say, I love the styling of the Ranger. Especially the somewhat beefed up "raptor" ones with the wide mudguards and such.

That said, I do think some people over-do the styling on them and they just look silly. Seen a black one in balbriggan last week. Looked wider than normal and clearly had a lift kit installed. All black, tints, black wheels, etc. On paper i'd have said it'd be amazing but it just looked cheap and tacky. So they can be a bit hit and miss.

What really puts me off them (but wouldn't stop me buying one if i had the cash lying around) is how impractical they are. I was collecting my shopping (click and collect) in tesco this morning and there were two other cars there. A Ranger and an Outlander.

Ranger chap just looked awkward and uncomfortable. Seemed his options were to either drop the tail gate, and then try to stretch beyond it to put the shopping in (or put it on the tailgate itself, then close it to topple all the shopping in) or do what he opted to do - reach over the top of the tailgate and try to drop stuff in. Just looked difficult. Donno why he didn't just use the back seat, to be honest.

Whereas myself and Outlander man were just firing stuff into the boots of our cars and gone. (actually first time i got a proper look at an Outlander - I quite like them!).

For me, for cars I don't like but that seem popular, I'd echo previously mentioned ones mostly:

Nissan Juke - horrendous. Newer version seems to have calmed a bit but for the most part they look like a child designed them.

Range Rovers - Can't place my finger on what it is exactly, but there's just something off-putting about them.

VW Golf - I wouldn't say I "hate" them, but I really don't understand the love for them at all. Really bewilders me.

BMWs - Any of the new ones with the grille that looks like it's seen a ghost.

I'll also add the current X-Trail. It annoys me that it exists, as it's such a pointless model (hard to tell the difference between it and a Qashqai at times) and it bugs me that it is still around, and the Pathfinder isn't. Always loved the Pathfinder's big hearsey-box look.

I'll also go with convertibles too. Don't hate them as such, but they always get a roll of the eyes off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I do laugh sometimes at the pure hatred of SUVs.. now doent get me wrong, I don't like the Quashqai, or anything Opel made... but we have a Rav4 now, and the boot is enormous (necessary for buggy etc.) The rear seat room is bigger than almost anything I've ever been in... very handy for the rotating child seat... if you've never had one, you won't understand.. while still having good legroom in the front. It's comfortable, fairly quiet, and drives OK. If you are determined to have a sporty saloon while having kids, your back, or hers won't thank you. It's nothing to do with image for us anyway.. all about something that can do the job with zero stress.

How did we manage years ago? We didn't keep kids safe years ago, myself included as I sat in the boot of our Opel Kadett...

As for cars I hate that everyone likes... A class Merc... its such a pointless car for me...in fact it seems all about badge in reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

notAMember wrote: »
    I can't abide anything that is "self-charging". Just pure nonsense marketing drivel.

Ditto on hybrids or PHEVS. (And we have had two, so I know how much of a pain they are!) Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a piece of crap that is a pain to maintain, like a tank to drive and park.

Either go full EV or full fossil. The half way house is the worst of all worlds.

I'm going to show some love to the ubiquitous Qashqai, even though they are not for me. My late aunt and uncle found that car very easy to get into, get out of, drive and park when they were struggling badly with arthritis. I also know some other people with physical disabilities who find them very handy. That's why people lifting small children go for them too. Protecting their backs with an easy to source , reliable, accessible car. It's easy to dismiss them when you're young, able-bodied, not had major abdominal surgery and expected to wrestle with toddlers who don't want to be strapped into carseats.

That was the original appeal if I remember of those cars. Easy access, raised driving position, my wife had the original Peugeot 3008 and it was a very good car.
    They weren't trying to be SUV just raised up hatchbacks. The styling has totally changed now
    I just drove a Kuga and it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Mercedes but especially the cars from 70s,80s and 90s. I just don't get the fascination with them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Wibbs wrote: »
    In my humble the Brera was the much nicer looking car.

The C pillar on that yoke was so wide it made it look like a van.
    Always thought the GT was a far nicer design

alfa-brera-ubg-28thdec-0135.jpg?itok=aXdZIViA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

For me, for cars I don't like but that seem popular, I'd echo previously mentioned ones mostly:

Nissan Juke - horrendous. Newer version seems to have calmed a bit but for the most part they look like a child designed them.

Range Rovers - Can't place my finger on what it is exactly, but there's just something off-putting about them.

The drivers usually....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anything with a VW badge, especially Passats, Bora's and Jettas. Also most BMW's (5 and 3 series) and most Audi's too. Basically all the cars that boyracers and scumbags buy these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pat_bottom

What a sexy van it would be :p

Anything with a VW badge, especially Passats, Bora's and Jettas. Also most BMW's (5 and 3 series) and most Audi's too. Basically all the cars that boyracers and scumbags buy these days.

Bloody hell that's some amount of generalisation or whatever you wanna call it.

I'm a proud 5 series driver and I can honestly say I've encountered more knobs in the past 3 years talking sh1t about bmw drivers than I have actual bmw drivers been knobs or scumbags or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Vans start when you turn the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Mitsubishi Lancer (all generations) - they seem to have a dedicated following but every time I see one, I wonder why.

Reliable, cheap no frills motoring. I don’t mind them, they’re not ugly in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Pat_bottom wrote: »
    Bloody hell that's some amount of generalisation or whatever you wanna call it.

I'm a proud 5 series driver and I can honestly say I've encountered more knobs in the past 3 years talking sh1t about bmw drivers than I have actual bmw drivers been knobs or scumbags or anything else.

I never had a BMW before- I honestly find I get treated a lot worse now- I’m forever being tailgated no matter what speed I’m doing- generally sticking to the speed limit I find invariably someone will appear out of nowhere catch up on me and sit on my arse for no reason. As for being let out at junctions? I’m shocked if some polite person lets me out these days. I truly believe we are a hated species. Had a Mazda 6 before and it was far more anonymous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

An obligatory yokel in the passenger seat with a benson hanging from his underbite showing a upheld hand in true laaaaadd style.

Nearly pi55ed myself laughing there, a perfect description

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm fed up of people telling me the original mini is cool, it's really not. The new one is very obviously shíte too but they don't have the same "cool" reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

micah537 wrote: »
    Pretty much all VW. I did like the Scirocco though, not enough to buy one but they were OK.

Not a huge fan of Skoda Superb or Skoda in general.

Small kia and Hyundai SUVs and the Hyundai estate.

Everything with a Dacia badge

And you started of so well.

However I disagree with you on Dacia, Kia and Hyundai. They are all good cars. Yes most of them are made to a price but they are reliable and well made unlike a lot of the modern German stuff.
    Golf. Just dont get the love!

Me either. One of the most overrated cars on the roads. The smart people buy a Skoda Octavia great cars.

For me it is was the 3rd generation Ford Mondeo. A truly horrible car. I just remember it the same way the OP remembers the Carina E as a farmers car and it was a farmers car. Still have not forgiven the Da for going and buying that without asking me what I think first lol.
    Also the Nissan Micra not the current generation but the one before it a truly terrible car. I do not even look at the now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭CoBo55

AMKC wrote: »

However I disagree with you on Dacia, Kia and Hyundai. They are all good cars. Yes most of them are made to a price but they are reliable and well made unlike a lot of the modern German stuff.

Me either. One of the most overrated cars on the roads. The smart people buy a Skoda Octavia great cars.

For me it is was the 3rd generation Ford Mondeo. A truly horrible car. I just remember it the same way the OP remembers the Carina E as a farmers car and it was a farmers car. Still have not forgiven the Da for going and buying that without asking me what I think first lol.
    Also the Nissan Micra not the current generation but the one before it a truly terrible car. I do not even look at the now.

I was hoping you wouldn't see ruin this thread, another one to unfollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Toyota CHR on the outside good looking car but rear passenger seat is a shoe box with a hole in it.

Nissan Juke same as CHR with shoe box rear passenger seats. But the older version reminds me of a pecking frog.

Kia sportage, front grille looks hideous. Another frog looking car.

New Gen Ford cars. Bloody awful looking grills insect looking creature's.
    I disagree. Sure all them cars bar the Sportage might not be great looking but they are different and stand out instead of being another boring VW or Audi or BMW.
    FrankC21 wrote: »
    Renault fluence awful looking car.
    I disagree. I think it is on inoffensive car.
    Autosport wrote: »
    Nissan Juke, the new Ford design, pure ugly and the Toyota chr
    Again I disagree on the Ford design. It might be a bit dull but its certainly not ugly. The new Puma outside us quiet nice actually but I agree with the new Ford dashs. They are very boring.
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    But nobody loves them they just drive them from A to B with the bare minimum of servicing.

Actually you are wrong. I have a friend who before his Fluence had a MK2 Megane and he loves them both. They do what he wants and he got them fairly cheap. He is plannin6 on getting one of the new Megane Grand Coupes when they are at a cheap enough price for him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I never had a BMW before- I honestly find I get treated a lot worse now- I’m forever being tailgated no matter what speed I’m doing- generally sticking to the speed limit I find invariably someone will appear out of nowhere catch up on me and sit on my arse for no reason. As for being let out at junctions? I’m shocked if some polite person lets me out these days. I truly believe we are a hated species. Had a Mazda 6 before and it was far more anonymous

Haha its crazy I honestly don't think any other car has the same stigma maybe I'm wrong. I've driven alot of cars over the last 20 years I've had a few bmw but with the 5 series it's on another level.

I'm fed up of people telling me the original mini is cool, it's really not. The new one is very obviously shíte too but they don't have the same "cool" reputation.

I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car with union jack tail lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Anything vw or BMW, cant stand either brands for some reason, also the god awful thing that is the American wannabe Ford ranger, a status vehicle like the q7 back in the day, only used by lads pulling less than 2 ton and farmers using them for going to the co-op for 6 bags of meal, I can't see rangers still being around in 20 years pulling a 3 ton mini digger or hauling cattle from the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The Citroen Xsara Picasso. Ok, I wouldn't say they were madly popular in Ireland, but there were plenty around. They were named the most popular MPV in the UK in the mid noughties.

File:2002_Citroen_Xsara_Picasso_HDi_Exclusive_2.0_Front.jpg

Shtate of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Friends who drive Beemers have told me similar and I've seen examples of it myself when they've given me lifts. Mad. I'm deliberately nice to Beemer drivers, just to see the look of mild shock in their eyes. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I used love the Mark 1 Focus but the latest ones do nothing for me. They just look like bloated Fiesta’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was alongside a gorgeous new ST Line Focus estate over the weekend, they're gorgeous in that colour and trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 padraig737

I would probably only hate Dacia. I wouldn't be a massive fan of the A1, A3, A and B class or 1 series, the more powerful versions are fine but buying the smallest engine just to say you drive a certain brand is a bit pitiful imo.

I don't think it's possible to have a car or anything really that everyone would love.
    The performance of a Ferrari, interior of a Rolls Royce, the mpg of a small diesel etc., for 40k and someone would still find something to hate about it.

It's interesting what you are saying about attitudes towards BMW. It was in the 90's I last had one and didn't have any hassle. Have owned a few E-class, a S-Class, a Lexus and a Jag since, never had issues with other drivers. I was actually given extra room in the Jag for some reason. With their British heritage I thought they would get the hate that BMW get.

I bought both my sons cars as I'm sure they will want them back in the future and I drive them the odd time. The S14 Silvia is always hassle to drive, the Evo is the complete opposite, always let out by one of the first three cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Personally I don’t what to make of Dacia’s.
    I remember people raving about them and I was a disappointed.
    They sort of reminded of something you’d get in the middle isle in Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

AMKC wrote: »

I think your more passionate about them cars than their CEO's. You'd make a great salesperson for them :-)
    They sort of reminded of something you’d get in the middle isle in Lidl.

That's brilliant

Advertisement