Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens if i damage/break old twin and earth?

Options
  • 29-05-2021 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

i heard a fizzing/buzzing noise from a socket the other day and opened it up to find a loose neutral so cut off the damaged cable and had enough to re attach to the socket and closed it up, but what happens with the new rules if you dont have enough cable would you have to rewire the whole radial or could you use singles?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First off I would recommend replacement of the socket, also ensure that all connections are nice and tight.

Secondly the rules can not be applied retrospectively. So if a section of cable between two sockets needs to be replaced then a T & E type cable can be used if this is how the rest of the circuit is wired. I’m assuming in this case that this circuit was compliant with the rules at the time. However, it would be important to ensure that this circuit is in reasonably condition and fit for purpose (not overloaded, suitability protected etc.) before deciding what course of action to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    . So if a section of cable between two sockets needs to be replaced then a T & E type cable can be used if this is how the rest of the circuit is wired.

This is not how I see it. Since February if a new cable is installed then it should comply with current regulations (IS10101:2020)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    This is not how I see it. Since February if a new cable is installed then it should comply with current regulations (IS10101:2020)

I would have thought that this applied to a new circuit or new work. This is maintenance on an existing circuit.

I would have thought that this applied to a new circuit or new work. This is maintenance on an existing circuit.

If I install a new light or socket on an existing circuit then it has to be to new regs. I’d apply the same rules to replacing a cable

If I install a new light or socket on an existing circuit then it has to be to new regs. I’d apply the same rules to replacing a cable

So if you have a socket circuit with 10 points and you replace the cable between the 8th and 9th socket with the T & E do you still see an issue? No additional points or loading.

• Advertisement

So if you have a socket circuit with 10 points and you replace the cable between the 8th and 9th socket with the T & E do you still see an issue? No additional points or loading.

Not sure what you mean
    I no longer use the old t&e cable.

Not sure what you mean
    I no longer use the old t&e cable.

Replacement of a section of cable within an existing circuit with existing cable type.

Replacement of a section of cable within an existing circuit with existing cable type.

I no longer use the old t & e cable. From February the regulation is to install the newer cable.

I no longer use the old t & e cable. From February the regulation is to install the newer cable.

Yes, in reflection I think you are correct.

I would be hopeful that the cable will not need to be replaced in the OP’s case. If the existing cable is slightly too short it may be possible to resolve by moving the socket fractionally.

Advertisement