Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCHL Maths

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

That’s also fair, I’m probably being coloured by feeling that despite the choice the course still needed to be finished

I completely agree, like I said the only kids in last week. HL maths is a much higher teaching load than other subjects. The lack of clarification around anything that could be left out was irritating to say the least.

It felt more different than I expected though, very wordy and the extra 5 marks in the short questions made them a good bit longer in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I completely agree, like I said the only kids in last week. HL maths is a much higher teaching load than other subjects. The lack of clarification around anything that could be left out was irritating to say the least.

It felt more different than I expected though, very wordy and the extra 5 marks in the short questions made them a good bit longer in parts.

Totally agree. I feel it’s very telling that during a pandemic when all subjects were shortened that maths is the only one that still needed extra classes. It’s genuinely crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Am I misremembering, or was there not an assurance given at some stage that the Section A questions would be kept to the same length but assigned 30 marks? Maybe I dreamt that....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

m*pp*t wrote: »

Am I misremembering, or was there not an assurance given at some stage that the Section A questions would be kept to the same length but assigned 30 marks? Maybe I dreamt that....

I don't remember that assurance being given, but I think they were definitely longer for the 5 extra marks.

Also the square root of a complex number has not been asked in that way since the old course. Usually, "Use de Moivres theorem to solve z squared = .....". Given the amount of space left to answer and the lack of direction given, I think it's worth using the method where you put it = a + bi, square both sides and form sim eqns.

I haven't taught that method in years but might have to add it to my plan. More to teach. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

100%. The only kids in our building this week are the higher level maths students. I teach two LC subjects and there is no comparison in the level of work required or the depth of the coursework. HL maths is tough and I'm not sure that it's justifiable really, I would love to spend more time on stats and calculas etc. It would be of real benefit to students in those areas at 3rd level but just getting through the course is the main focus.

This may be controversial but I think that being a Maths teacher is one of the most difficult teaching gigs in schools today. Class sizes are usually close to or at the maximum allowed unlike some other elective subjects. As stated before, the extra 25 points have "encouraged" students who shouldn't attempt HL to stick around for far too long. Parent expectations are far too unrealistic - I have lost count of how many parents have told me how amazing their child was at primary school...Numeracy is NOT Maths!

The courses are too long. Even the new changes in JC have made our life more difficult. 2 CBAs of 3 weeks each to be incorporated for a the tiny reduction of the cone and some proofs. This has given us 5 weeks less work to basically cover the same course as before - even less time for that discovery work that we should all be using to cement concepts!

Recently I had a previous student shadow me with a view of becoming a Maths teacher. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I couldn't recommend teaching as a profession due to the direction that teaching is going. The admin is increasing, the T & C s are being steadily eroded and his Maths degree would probably afford him a comfortable life in an alternative sector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement