Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for renovation of old press

• 28-05-2021 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭

69BI4Wb.jpg

I have an old cupboard/press that I like, but would like to finish it a bit. It appears to be constructed mainly from half inch planks of maybe scots pine. It is completely unfinished though there may be some evidence of a small amount of varnish on the top. There is no worm and it is essentially in good condition.

I don't want to fill in the cracks and paint it, and I am not looking for the shabby chic white painted look. I am thinking maybe of some sort of coloured varnish - not imitation wood colour. I don't mind, in fact might prefer, some sort of decoration on it, maybe a geometric pattern. I might put a panel of fabric or something else in the doors. I might just give it a coat of clear matt varnish.

On the one hand it has an interesting patina of rubbed smooth plain wood, on the other its a bit overly plain and unfinished.

Any thoughts on what you might do with it would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I would do the absolute minimum It's a beautiful piece.

Wood needs nourishing so french polish or use a water based polish to bring out the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I'd just give it a coat of Tung oil or beeswax and put some nice vintage Bakelite knobs on it instead of the white ones. It's lovely even as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thank you for your replies. I'm kinda thinking you are right and I should be doing the minimum to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Please don't do anything drastic to it, it's a beautiful piece of furniture. Maybe try some Danish Oil or the like on a hidden part to see how it would look, otherwise leave it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

looksee wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies. I'm kinda thinking you are right and I should be doing the minimum to it.

Measure the top and visit your local independent glazing company to order a toughened glass round edge top for it,
    Being toughened; it won't crack with a hot cup or teapot sat on it and the glass will complement the wood nicely,

I've had glass tops done for my desk, kitchen table and coffee table, can cut bread on it without worry too.

Some chrome knobs might compliment the wood better than those white ones too.
    Link: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/eneryda-knob-chrome-plated-80347511/

• Advertisement

I think if I search around there are some old round knobs that came off something else in the house, might do nicely. I agree the white ones don't quite do the job.

Agreed about the toughened glass, I have a piece on a table, but this will be going back into my bedroom when some work has been finished in there, I think it will have some sort of mat or runner on top.

When I read the title, I was expecting something needing a lot of work. As the other posters suggested, I would do very little. It's beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A few coats of beeswax would finish it nicely, oil will darken it over time. Take a look at the Restoration Materials Bury Website for a good selection of knobs, in wood, brass, and porcelain

A few coats of beeswax would finish it nicely, oil will darken it over time. Take a look at the Restoration Materials Bury Website for a good selection of knobs, in wood, brass, and porcelain

Good suggestion

I have invested in a tin of beeswax polish. (ouch!) I will put up another pic when its done :)

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I have invested in a tin of beeswax polish. (ouch!) I will put up another pic when its done :)

Great. I'll see how you go before going at my old press.

Advertisement