Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

literacy and numeracy tutor - career advice needed

• 23-05-2021 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I am currently tutoring literacy and numeracy in a rehabilitative training center for people with a mild to moderate intellectual disability and will be starting a L8 degree program with WIT to become a qualified FET teacher. I have been in this role for 12 years. I would like to work in an ETB tutoring people with literacy and numeracy difficulties but I'm not sure if there are many opportunities for this as there is a push from the ETB's to integrate literacy into the individual modules (if that makes sense).

I really enjoy teaching but feel that I need a change from disabilities but I am unsure what path to take.

Is it possible to find out what courses are recognized by the teaching council in the subjects of English, history and computer science? Are there part time courses available in these subjects? Should I continue to aim for the FET sector or should I try and retrain for secondary school teaching? I'm aware that most of these questions I can only answer but I'm very confused and would appreciate any words of wisdom or guidance. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bubblemassage

What is your primary degree? What do you *want* to teach? There's a 1 year top up computer science qualification for post primary teachers that was discussed here.

I think you'd be in a good position for post primary as apparently there's a really big push to integrate new modes of literacy into the junior cert. The course in WIT gives you Irish teaching council for FE which a lot of ETBs are happy to consider for post primary.

I'm in the same boat having just finished up with a similar qualification for FE. Once you're on the subbing list for your local ETB, you will get calls for post primary. I was offered interviews for 2 full time posts this year (albeit at bad times) in secondary schools. Both times I was found on the ETB sublist and cold called by principals. The first time I got a call, I was really shocked. I asked them if they saw that I was qualified through the FE route and they said "Yeah, we don't care, we just need a teacher to start with us asap. You get paid from the Department of Education as long as you have a Teaching Council number."

In our FE teacher training course we were told that the course was absolutely NOT the back door into secondary teaching, and that FE is the creme de la creme of teaching. Seemingly it is a bit of a back door, but unfortunately if you are up against someone with the PME, you won't get the job. In our FE course they also told us that we would be in a better position than secondary school teachers for FE jobs as our qualification is focused on the sector. However, I've a suspicion that that's how people who work in education feel, but not how people in the centralised ETB HRs of Ireland act.

So if you mostly want to work in post primary and you can afford it - do the PME. If you mostly want to work in FE and are up for anything that comes your way, do the course in WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 carrighead

Thank you Bubblemassage for your response. My primary degree is in disability studies (so not much good really) and I have just completed the level 7 BA in further and adult education. I would love to teach English, computer science and Technical Drawing (but I think i would need an engineering degree for that) either in a youth reach or secondary school. I saw a post grad course for English in DCU (but can't find it anymore) that said that it was suitable to teach English at second level.
    Thank you for the link on the computer science - lots of information there. I'm really surprised to hear that second level schools will take on FE teachers as we were told as well that the course wouldn't be recognized..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭CraftySue

carrighead wrote: »
    . I'm really surprised to hear that second level schools will take on FE teachers as we were told as well that the course wouldn't be recognized..

You will be able to sub in a secondary school with a further ed qualification- but you are paid the unqualified rate, and would not get a CID. If you do a PME, and obtain a contract- you would be apid the qualified rate, and can get a CID in either post primary or further education.

CraftySue wrote: »
    You will be able to sub in a secondary school with a further ed qualification- but you are paid the unqualified rate, and would not get a CID. If you do a PME, and obtain a contract- you would be apid the qualified rate, and can get a CID in either post primary or further education.

Is that for certain? I don't see any mention of it on the TUI website. I thought because both Post Primary and Further Education are on the same payscale, that if you are subbing in either, it's the same - provided you have a full teaching council number? But that's interesting about the CID. In light of your comment, I'm wondering was I dangled chances to interview for full time jobs because they desperately needed cover. Could be the case!

I was unqualified both times I got rang by principals so I'll ask directly next time and see what they say and report back to the thread.

CraftySue wrote: »

Just to update this thread - CraftSue is right indeed. I got in contact with my local ETB recruitment, and they confirmed that with a Further Education qualification/ FE Teaching Council number you will only be paid the unqualified part time rate in secondary schools and will never get a CID. So one can only assume the principals ringing this year with offers of mysterious jobs in September, were probably just desperate for subs and would say anything to lure us in. Thanks for that @CraftSue. Good to be armed with the info, as I felt like the times I was rang up with an offer I couldn't refuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement