Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar rewire soldering help (50s style LP)

Options
  • 15-03-2021 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be able to help me, I have a Les Paul classic I am trying to rewire. I bought a pre made 50s style rewire kit. The harness is installed but Im just not confident in wiring the two pickup wires and the 2 other wires to the pots etc. I've wired the jack but just inside of the rest even with all the diagrams etc.

So the 2 pickups wiring is 5 mini wires in them, but the 50s style wiring kit/toggle has braided wires. So I have a mix of old style wiring with more modern wiring from the 2 pickups.

Would anyone be able to give me help if I post some pictures here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jeff.

OK!!! I hope this helps?! Because there's nothing more frustrating than not being able to finish your project and feeling the "How will I finish this... panic l"!!!.

Bridge pickup:. Top left CTS POT. (Hot red, immediate left lug. Common ground back of the same pot). Braided feed from three way switch for bridge pickup (Hot feed middle lug, same pot soldered with the capacitor.)

Neck pickup:. Top right CTS POT. (Hot red, immediate left lug, Common ground back of same pot). Braided feed from three way switch for neck pickup (Hot feed middle lug, same pot soldered with the capacitor.).

If you're got 5 strand cable from your pick up you have the option of a "Jimmy Page" mod splitting your humbucker into single coil! If you don't care for this feature your "Hot" should still be RED and your Common ground Black and/or raw earthing wire from the coaxial. I truly hope this helps? I have provided some pics from my project i literally have just finished, I hope they're a guide? Let me know if I can be of any help... don't hesitate!!!

P.S. my honest opinion? Don't use any other brand other that "Switchcraft" for both your 3 way and your input jack. They're the best and will not breakdown.

Jeff. wrote: »
    OK!!! I hope this helps?! Because there's nothing more frustrating than not being able to finish your project and feeling the "How will I finish this... panic l"!!!.

Bridge pickup:. Top left CTS POT. (Hot red, immediate left lug. Common ground back of the same pot). Braided feed from three way switch for bridge pickup (Hot feed middle lug, same pot soldered with the capacitor.)

Neck pickup:. Top right CTS POT. (Hot red, immediate left lug, Common ground back of same pot). Braided feed from three way switch for neck pickup (Hot feed middle lug, same pot soldered with the capacitor.).

If you're got 5 strand cable from your pick up you have the option of a "Jimmy Page" mod splitting your humbucker into single coil! If you don't care for this feature your "Hot" should still be RED and your Common ground Black and/or raw earthing wire from the coaxial. I truly hope this helps? I have provided some pics from my project i literally have just finished, I hope they're a guide? Let me know if I can be of any help... don't hesitate!!!

P.S. my honest opinion? Don't use any other brand other that "Switchcraft" for both your 3 way and your input jack. They're the best and will not breakdown.

Hey Jeff thanks for all that I got ill take it on board and maybe give it a go. I haven't a clue what I'm doing and I'm afraid to cut and strip wires as I'm unsure where everything's going. I got Instructions with this kit I bought it from Charles guitars a UK shop. The instructions on one side its for use of braided wire only and the other side got those who have the 5 mini coloured wires. I just don't want to **** it up kinda afraid to try it. I believe the kit I bought has Switchcraft components.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

see diagrams below.

Pickup - https://ibb.co/Fx9Gn4D

Wiring - https://ibb.co/cNryCWq

If you had the Gibson circut board in there with the quick connect, cut it off.

Red is hot - Green & White just need to be linked in a series (as in twisted together) - Black and Bare wire are your ground.

Yes I had this thing, a 2 volume, 1 tone, 1 boost switch setup factory stock. (2014 classic) so the wirings from pickups are the 5 coloured ones. I cut the plugs off the ends. I got your message there so I'll send you a text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Yes I had this thing, a 2 volume, 1 tone, 1 boost switch setup factory stock. (2014 classic) so the wirings from pickups are the 5 coloured ones. I cut the plugs off the ends. I got your message there so I'll send you a text.

It wasn't me that messaged you anyway :pac:

Thanks all I got it sorted

Advertisement